New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gtvguy View Post
    thanks sa info 2005 pa pala current platform ng mustang di ko alam yun kasi kala ko all new na yung current 2013 model well yun sabi nung SA kausap ko sa ford alabang, naku hindi gusto itsura at reviews ng hyundai genesis coupe kaya i narrowed down my choices sa 3 ito
    Yung basic platform 2005 pa pero maraming upgrades and improvements na ang 2013 model. Yung STi lumang look parin kahit yung 2.0L bagong itsura na...

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Bitin lahat yan.......konting ipon uli tapos kuha ka ng shelby cobra...sagarin momna para sagad na rin ang kaligayahan

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Having driven these cars, here's a low-down of the fun stuff you can get for under 3m.

Ford Mustang V8
    + POWAH
    + Actually handles decently for a lead sled
    + Sounds great
    + Brings the drama
    + Good brakes
    - Glug glug glug
    - Ridiculous back seat for something so big
    - That stupid +/- manumatic shift button
    - Heavy nose, you can really feel the big V8 in corners

Hyundai Genesis Coupe
    + faster than the 86
    + much better interior quality
    + much more space
    + much better ride quality
    + Turbo variant goes like stink
    + V6 goes like stink, sounds great and feels like a mega VTEC
    + Most performance for the buck on the market right now
    - A bit wide
    - Doesn't steer as nicely as the 86, but drives very, very good
    - 2-3 shift a bit rough for the manual. Automatic is nice
    - Squirrely in the rain. Leave the traction control on

Mazda MX5
    + Nicer steering than 86
    + Lighter than the 86
    + Fantastic automatic hardtop
    + Sounds good for a four-cylinder
    + Best handling balance, ever
    + throttle response is very, very linear
    + Feels fast at any speed
    - Softer suspension than 86
    - 86 handling balance is just as good, and composure at the limit is better
    - Less power than the 86
    - Costs a whole lot more than the 86
    - No back seat
    - Rear visibility is worst here

MINI Cooper S JCW
    + Great steering feel
    + Great looks
    + Great interior
    + Great automatic
    + More fun than a box of rabid squirrels
    + Better to drive in traffic and on the highway than (gasp) 86
    + Incredible resale value
    + Feels fast at any speed. Moreso than MX5
    - Torque steer
    - expensive service
    - expensive price
    - you can get 95% of the performance from the regular Cooper S
    - tiny back seat (as if that were a problem)

Mitsubishi EVO X
    + Zingy engine
    + Telepathic responses
    + Fantastic AWD system
    + Ultra-responsive dual clutch
    - Interior doesn't feel special. Hell, GTA interior is better
    - Needs more torque
    - Dual Clutch overheats from hard track use... but you're probably never going to have that issue
    - Expensive compared to STI

Subaru STI
    + Drives like a bucking bronco
    + Four-wheel drifting in the dirt, the gravel and even on dusty parking lots
    + Easy to drive, easy to clutch-kick drift, handbrake drift, lift-off drift, trailbrake drift...
    + Four REAL seats
    + Huge potential
    - Stiff ride
    - Stiffer clutch (ouch)
    - Drivetrain clunks and rattles
    - The looks
    - Steering is wooly, lacks delicacy
    - Actually, that describes the entire car

Toyota 86
    + Steering is the best electric power steering system short of the MX-5
    + Telepathic responses
    + Lovely shifter action. Same box as in MX-5, but feels even better
    + Light weight
    + Sounds nice
    + Easy to drive, like a big go-kart
    + Lots of aftermarket support
    - Tiny back seat
    - Sits so low to the ground that it's a pain to crawl out of
    - So-so interior
    - Stiff ride
    - Lack of torque in traffic means it feels pretty ordinary in daily driving
    - Don't ever get the automatic. Ruins the delicate balance of the car and really highlights lack of torque

------

The 86 is nice, but don't let the dealership force you into the TRD bull**** add-ons and echeche-bureche. It rides better on the standard suspension and it drives just as nicely. If all that matters is the sportscar feel, this is the real thing. But don't be disappointed if it feels "bitin" in everyday driving. Because it certainly does.

You really should give the GenCoupe a chance. Fantastic power and speed, and Hyundai has really improved it over the previous one. I once said I prefer to drive the Mazda6 to the GenCoupe... and while I still like the steering of the Mazda6 better (it's a Mazda), the GenCoupe's handling is no longer embarrassingly soft. Driving at 240 km/h no longer feels like taking your life into your hands.

The STI is fantastic. Just as quick as the GenCoupe. Lots easier to drive fast since it feels tighter. But it's coarse, unrefined and clunky. One-track mind lang. In other words, its mind is always on the racetrack.

The Mustang is fantastic in a straight line. But while it's not a one-trick pony, as it handles decently, consider whether it's too much car for Metro Manila... sayang lang having all that power if you can only uncork it for one or two seconds at a time before catching up with more traffic. Needs lots of space to stretch its legs. More than any other car here.

Out of left-field... consider a MINI? Fantastic to drive. Cheap to gas up. Maintenance not cheap, but there are aftermarket suppliers for parts and fluids here. Easiest car here to drive through traffic in, and it's fun at whatever speed you're driving.

Oh, and chicks dig MINIs. Dudes dig MINIs, too... most gearheads will give you respect for choosing a Cooper S.
    Last edited by niky; February 15th, 2013 at 07:10 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Boss Niky.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    if you want performance get the STi since there are lots of modifications that can be done to it. if you want a real head turner and plan to keep it stock get the mustang the only downside for me with the mustang is, it's only available in automatic. regarding the 86, seriously only people who hasn't driven one will say it's under powered. i've driven lots of fast cars and super cars and the 86/BRZ is probably one of the most fun car i've driven. plus the 86/BRZ wasn't made for power, it was made to show you that you can have fun driving a car without needing too much HP. drive one to it's limit and i guarantee you, you won't be disappointed with it's power. yes it feels underpowered when driving it normally but once you're in the track or pushing it to it's limit you'll understand why it only has 200hp. only ricer wanna be's will say it's underpowered.

and i agree with nicky, consider the cooper S. most people don't know it's potential but those who know cars and it's performance love it.
    Last edited by foresterx; February 15th, 2013 at 08:18 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Astig! Nice review Niky.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Have not driven any of the cars you mentioned. I do know a guy who owns the Mustang V8. He loves it! His only complaint is FC. He gets about 4km to a liter. The car is an attention grabber. It has lots of presence. You will definetly get noticed with this car. The engine sounds wonderful!

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Hindi na ako mag iisip if I have that money, I'd get the Mustang. Now if I can stretch that amount to 5.6M then it will be the Shelby GT500 all the way.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    What a read! Bravo, sir Niky!

How about the 370Z? Is it at par among those on your comparo?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by gtvguy View Post
    thanks sa replies guys as of now yun ngang mustang ang first choice ko, pero totoo ba maglalabas nanaman ford ng bago model ,di ba 2013 model na mga nasa pinas na ford dealers, yung 86 before ang una ko nagustuhan kaso nung nasa the fort ko minsan nag tabi yung mustang at 86 parang lahat ng tao sa paligid sa mustang lang naka tingin hehe ng mukang common lang 86 although i know handling is better sa 86 at sa reviews dami sabi ito pinaka fun car to drive kaso 200 hp lang, yung sti naman nagustuhan ko kasi tama lang horse power and parang evo nadin ,kaso out dated na itsura 2008 pa nilabas ganung model
    In cases like these, I will go where my heart tells me. Among your choices, I would go with the Toyota GT86. It may not be the fastest car but it is designed to bring smiles to the driver every time. I have driven the GT86 and I loved it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast