New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    These are the same car under the skin. Both have the all-important ABS and power features.

Focus
    + it's 40k cheaper (not a huge difference)
    + rear aircon vents
    + softer suspension and better NVH suppression (?)
    + rear sensors (3k only to add, supposedly)
    + remote control for the windows a la Peugeot (cool gimmick!)
    + auto up/down on all windows with anti-pinch a la BMW (another cool gimmick)

Mazda3
    + digital climate control
    + passenger airbag
    + better looking (?) depends on whether you like conservative or edgy
    + 16" wheels
    + 6-disc changer (vs 1-disc) and steering-wheel controls

In terms of interior quality, they feel about the same to me. I like the Focus dash more (softer to the touch) but prefer the cloth on the Mazda3. Both have amazing non-cloth headliners but turns out all non-midrange cars are like this.
    Last edited by orly_andico; April 17th, 2007 at 08:37 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mazda 3 for me on the sole basis of exterior and interior styling (though focus isn't bad at all)

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'd go with the Focus simply because Ford's auto tranny is a bit better than the Mazda3.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    There are some pretty disturbing posts here..

http://forum.fordclubph.com/viewtopi...er=asc&start=0

Squeaking brakes? hard starting? check engine lights? rattling interior bits? busted CV joints on sub-5000km cars?

That's horrible!

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    wow dami naman problema yan...isolated case lang kaya yan...

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    MAzda 3 for me. d ko type yung fdashboard ng focus. pero ok yung rear a/c nya. init pa naman ngaun.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Ford Focus for me.. it just looks alot ***ier than the Mazda3

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    That's mostly from the 2.0 owners. The 1.6 Duratec is based on different engine architecture from the 2.0 Duratec.

RE: Squeaking brakes: unless they're warped brakes, they're not a problem, just an annoyance.

RE: Rattling trim... errh... it's a Ford?

-----

Try looking for problems regarding Mazda3s online, too... although the most I've ever heard of is clunky shifting of the manual.

-----

I prefer the Focus simply because it's available in MT. If the Mazda3 were available in MT, too, I'd go for that. But then, if it's AT to AT, go for the Mazda.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Aha! the Ford guru speaks

I also have some concerns about the gas-guzzliness of the Mazda3/Focus AT due to the heavy body and weak engine. Hence I'm a bit inclined towards the MT Focus. Not to mention the MT Focus is cheaper and would probably be 1 km/L more economical on fuel which does add up.

Ford Global City's test unit had an unusually stiff gear shift, for some reason (along with the cheesy non-engraved gear numbers). At first I was thinking it was because the car was relatively new and the shift bushings were still hard. But the FD Civic and even City stick shifts I tried were much, much smoother.

Also, regarding the Ford rattling. How does it compare to Mazda rattling? my old 626 doesn't count (it's a veritable spawning pool of rattles, because it's ancient).

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    That's mostly from the 2.0 owners. The 1.6 Duratec is based on different engine architecture from the 2.0 Duratec.

RE: Squeaking brakes: unless they're warped brakes, they're not a problem, just an annoyance.

RE: Rattling trim... errh... it's a Ford?
    The Ford Club thread on problems sounded like a laundry list of the problems I've had on my old Mazda, to wit --

- hard starting (battery and starter issues)
    - rattling interior bits
    - squeaking brakes
    - busted sensors

but then my Mazda is 14 years old!!!

One would expect to not experience such problems for at least 3-4 years, right? it's one of the dubious value propositions of a new car, because if transportation is all one's after, a Suzuki Alto or one of those Norkis things would do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Ford Focus 1.6 AT or Mazda3 1.6V?