New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by UsernameTaken View Post
    Hi, we are planning on getting a new SUV this january 2013, we are looking at these three suvs to be our everyday car in the garage. These are the things that needs consideration:

1.) we are family of six, 2 adults, 3 teens, and one kid
    2.) we are upgrading from a montero sport so hindi ba underpowered yung pajero knowing montero has a more powerful engine despite its size?
    3.) fuel efficiency? Exclusivity? Durability? Ehem performance,safety, etc.

Will wait for your advices. TIA
    I was in the same dilemma two weeks ago when I sold my Montero to get an upgrade.

Consider these:

1) For your family size, 2 adults in front, 2 teens + 1 kid sa 2nd row (can't leave the kid alone sa 3rd), and 1 teen sa 3rd row. We have almost same requirement when I was looking for a new car. Based on this seating, I will take out from list yung Santa Fe dahil very cramped yung 3rd row. Pang kids lang talaga.

2. Definitely not underpowered yung Pajero.

3. FE - Santa Fe (most economical), then Pajero, then Explorer (guzzler, even the EcoBoost)
    Exclusivity - Explorer simply because it takes toooo long to get a unit, very few on the road, and can you wait long? Then Pajero. Santa Fe is priced lower than the other two, so not very exclusive in that aspect.
    Durability - Pajero, proven tough and reliable. Be watchful of Ford and Hyundai after sales, parts can take some time. And both Explorer and Santa Fe has a lot of gadgetry, nice to have but also source of many bugs and issues.
    Performance - Torque goes to Santa Fe, Horsepower goes to Explorer. If you go to rough roads, Pajero is much better than the other two.
    Safety - More airbags with Explorer and Pajero.

I suggest you define a budget range first, because these three are not around the same price bracket.
    Santa Fe 2WD - P1.7M
    Pajero - P2.6M for gas, P2.8M for Diesel
    Explorer - P2.2M for EcoBoost, P2.6M for V6

Then, test drive your shortlisted cars na within your budget. Shop around for good deals, some brands are dropping off as much as P800k from regular price *for example, Chevrolet Traverse - but I'm not suggesting this car, sample lang), so you might be surprised to find out that there are more options after considering the aggressive discounts offered. And your chosen car might not be in your original list above.

Then after logically shortlisting to top 2 or 3, imagine which car would make you feel excited everytime you drive it. Then decide.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help further.

Good luck in your car search!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    PAJERO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    PAJERO din...
    Last edited by blue_gambit; December 28th, 2012 at 01:43 AM.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    I think, kasi 178 hp yung monty compared sa 160 hp ng pajero.
    kahit , 178 hp ang montero , eh mas malakas pa rin an pajero kasi 3.2 ang engine nito .

go for pajero , para kang congressman nito :naughty2:, pwede kahit saan pan disente man o off-road

5. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    For your family, sa space requirements bitin ang santa fe. Yung explorer lots of space but gas guzzler, its not an everyday car. Pajero gives you space and a more economical engine. Pajero will fit your requirements though it has the highest price tag and a new model might be coming soon.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    How spacious is the 3rd row of the Pajero? I ask coz i've trailed one on edsa and the 2 ladies seated seemed cramped. Backrest appeared low as well. Havent tried it for myself though.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    If you guys dont mind me asking, why do always people say na pajero is in a different class even if being compared to prado, explorer and of course the santa fe? My father always say that also. Kasi to be honest i dont really like it that much, its just that its always in my father's vocabulary and we want a car that everyone in our family wants para walang lamangan
    It does not surprise me that your dad would have that mind set as pajero had it's prime time in the 80s & 90s. Until the subic thing came along. I had the same mind set before but now, everytime i hear about pajero, first thing i ask is subic or local.

*Renzo

I think its torque is 370nm i dont have any idea if that is any higher than that of the montero dunno. Regarding sa fc ng explo, we live in batangas and pag manila naman kalimitan around lasalle taft lang ang destination. So hindi masyadong traffic kasi thru vito cruz slex yung route sorry ha if im being makulit regarding sa explo, i mean who wouldnt. Regarding naman sa santa fe reason na we are considering it is it is our third time na napasama to sa choices namin and 2 times na naging stupid ang same H dealership not to take us seriously Kaya we ended up buying eve,monty respectively.
    By the way you sound, your desire would be the explorer & why not, it's a great looking car & the 6 of you can seat comfortably inside it's wide body.
    Forget about the ecoboost, better go for the limited edition, more features. i have one & it's not that much of a gas consumer in long & hiway driving.
    It's a good family & weekend / long trip car. My family enjoys it as they can seat freely anywhere & still play around with much elbow room.
    Just prepare to wait for a long wait as it's not something ready to take from the casa but there's way to go around the bush, if you know what i mean.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ano727 View Post
    I was in the same dilemma two weeks ago when I sold my Montero to get an upgrade.

Consider these:

1) For your family size, 2 adults in front, 2 teens + 1 kid sa 2nd row (can't leave the kid alone sa 3rd), and 1 teen sa 3rd row. We have almost same requirement when I was looking for a new car. Based on this seating, I will take out from list yung Santa Fe dahil very cramped yung 3rd row. Pang kids lang talaga.

2. Definitely not underpowered yung Pajero.

3. FE - Santa Fe (most economical), then Pajero, then Explorer (guzzler, even the EcoBoost)
    Exclusivity - Explorer simply because it takes toooo long to get a unit, very few on the road, and can you wait long? Then Pajero. Santa Fe is priced lower than the other two, so not very exclusive in that aspect.
    Durability - Pajero, proven tough and reliable. Be watchful of Ford and Hyundai after sales, parts can take some time. And both Explorer and Santa Fe has a lot of gadgetry, nice to have but also source of many bugs and issues.
    Performance - Torque goes to Santa Fe, Horsepower goes to Explorer. If you go to rough roads, Pajero is much better than the other two.
    Safety - More airbags with Explorer and Pajero.

I suggest you define a budget range first, because these three are not around the same price bracket.
    Santa Fe 2WD - P1.7M
    Pajero - P2.6M for gas, P2.8M for Diesel
    Explorer - P2.2M for EcoBoost, P2.6M for V6

Then, test drive your shortlisted cars na within your budget. Shop around for good deals, some brands are dropping off as much as P800k from regular price *for example, Chevrolet Traverse - but I'm not suggesting this car, sample lang), so you might be surprised to find out that there are more options after considering the aggressive discounts offered. And your chosen car might not be in your original list above.

Then after logically shortlisting to top 2 or 3, imagine which car would make you feel excited everytime you drive it. Then decide.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help further.

Good luck in your car search!
    Test drive isnt an option, hindi kasi yun uso dito sayang

Naconfused ako sa traverse and i tried looking at some ads sa sulit, laki pala ng price drop you get a free chevy spark at 2.4m slashed price tag. Kaso pag walang bumibili may something sa kotse.

Btw, how much did you sell your montero? Model? Year? Thanks.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post
    How spacious is the 3rd row of the Pajero? I ask coz i've trailed one on edsa and the 2 ladies seated seemed cramped. Backrest appeared low as well. Havent tried it for myself though.
    Parang i saw it nga when i went to the showroom, well not really went inside the pajero as we have no plans on buying one not until later. Napansin ko is parang walang headrest yung 3rd row at parang masyadong mababa yung seats.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    I own a current gen Pajero and it is a really good SUV for a family of 5. Nice interior and features, good ride. It won win anybdrag race with other SUV's but the power wont disappoint you. Just remember this vehicle was not designed for outright speed.

With your criteria, the Pajero is not a good choice because the 3rd row is only good for short drives or for emergency use. Its more like jumpseats and are not really that comfortable.

With 6 pax riding the car, i suggest tou get a bigger SUV and maybe the explorer is a better choice or even the cx 9 for that matter. Space should be a big factor and if not an SUV why not look for an alternative such as a MPV like a ln Alphard, Oddessy or a Starex?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Ford explorer ecoboost vs mitsubishi pajero dsl vs hyundai santa fe 2wd vs ???