New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    I think there's an Explorer vs Prado thread already before. But since the Explorer Eco Boost has been upgraded and the Alphard has probably never been cross shopped with the two in previous discussions, I'd like to hear some opinions especially from owners or people who have ridden/driven any of them.

I'm planning to buy a family SUV/van later in the year and considering these 3 at the moment. Here's my situation... I have a driver who will be driving for my wife/kid on weekdays while I may occasionally drive it during weekends or family trips. Also, my plan is to keep it for the next 4-5 years.

Therefore, I'm looking at something comfortable (also for me as a driver), practical (decent ground clearance, easy to park, easy to sell), and offers good value for money. Here are my thoughts...

Explorer Eco Boost
    + I noticed that it now has most of the V6's nice features at "only" 2.395M... Ford Philippines | Explorer Specification Data
    + I haven't ridden on one but ride quality should be much better than Prado. Can anyone comment?
    + 2.0T should be much more fuel efficient than e4.0 V6 or 3.5 V6
    - My biggest concerns are quality and long term resale value. I've never owned a Ford as I've never liked their designs until the new Fiesta/Focus/Ranger appeared in the last few years.

Prado gas
    + Since it's a Toyota, build quality should be very good
    + Although less than Explorer, features I'm looking for are more or less included
    + Resale value should be solid also
    - My biggest concern is ride quality as I've ridden twice and recall the ride being quite bouncy. As my family will be mainly using it, I'm worried with comfort and ease of getting on/off as it seems taller as well.
    - Also, it is 500k more expensive at 2.9M so I'm not sure if it is worth the premium

Alphard V6
    + Just like Prado, build quality should be very good
    + For sure, this is the most comfortable among the three
    - I'm unsure about resale value as I hardly see any ads
    - My biggest concern is value. It's over 3M and although very nice, it seems to lack some features that Prado or Explorer has (e.g. backup camera, no power folding 3rd row?).

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by speed_kills View Post
    I think there's an Explorer vs Prado thread already before. But since the Explorer Eco Boost has been upgraded and the Alphard has probably never been cross shopped with the two in previous discussions, I'd like to hear some opinions especially from owners or people who have ridden/driven any of them.

I'm planning to buy a family SUV/van later in the year and considering these 3 at the moment. Here's my situation... I have a driver who will be driving for my wife/kid on weekdays while I may occasionally drive it during weekends or family trips. Also, my plan is to keep it for the next 4-5 years.

Therefore, I'm looking at something comfortable (also for me as a driver), practical (decent ground clearance, easy to park, easy to sell), and offers good value for money. Here are my thoughts...

Explorer Eco Boost
    + I noticed that it now has most of the V6's nice features at "only" 2.395M... Ford Philippines | Explorer Specification Data
    + I haven't ridden on one but ride quality should be much better than Prado. Can anyone comment?
    + 2.0T should be much more fuel efficient than e4.0 V6 or 3.5 V6
    - My biggest concerns are quality and long term resale value. I've never owned a Ford as I've never liked their designs until the new Fiesta/Focus/Ranger appeared in the last few years.

Prado gas
    + Since it's a Toyota, build quality should be very good
    + Although less than Explorer, features I'm looking for are more or less included
    + Resale value should be solid also
    - My biggest concern is ride quality as I've ridden twice and recall the ride being quite bouncy. As my family will be mainly using it, I'm worried with comfort and ease of getting on/off as it seems taller as well.
    - Also, it is 500k more expensive at 2.9M so I'm not sure if it is worth the premium

Alphard V6
    + Just like Prado, build quality should be very good
    + For sure, this is the most comfortable among the three
    - I'm unsure about resale value as I hardly see any ads
    - My biggest concern is value. It's over 3M and although very nice, it seems to lack some features that Prado or Explorer has (e.g. backup camera, no power folding 3rd row?).

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
    our choice back then was the prado v explorer and mind you the prado(diesel ) is way much more expensive than the explorer

we choose the explorer but not the eco boost since fuel consumption wouldn't be really that different in case of traffic and would only be noticeable during high way drives, and as for review the eco boost they say it's under powered

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If you can afford it, the Alphard is fantastic... and fuel economy is better than the gasoline Prado or V6 Explorer... somewhat... because it's FWD only and more aerodynamic.

-

Ride quality for both the Explorer and Alphard are very good... though it can get a tiny bit choppy in the third row of the Alphard, it's pretty good.

-

Not quite sure on long term reliability for the Ecoboost over the Explorer V6 or the Toyota V6... direct injection and turbocharging will likely mean more maintenance costs in the future, but it will depend on how often you use it (if you don't change the gas in the tank often enough, you could get problems) and how clean your gasoline source is.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    ot- i've never been a fan of fwd except in small cars

isa rin sa reason why we choose the awd of the v6 explorer

maybe this was due to our old mb100- the only vehicle we disposed of(since we still have our oldies we even converted our old van into an ambulance(for school maritime training exercise purpose only))

nissan said they would bring their elgrand here, is it true?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    They've modded up the Ecoboost ah. I'd suggest to check it out if it doesnt feel bare inside.

Since it's a family ride, won't u need more seats, hence the Alphard?

Posted from my iPhone

6. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post
    They've modded up the Ecoboost ah. I'd suggest to check it out if it doesnt feel bare inside.

Since it's a family ride, won't u need more seats, hence the Alphard?
    I didn't consider the Ecoboost before as it was very bare vs V6. But after seeing the latest Ecoboost, I was pleasantly surprised that it more or less has all the nice V6 features minus 4wd. But Ford also updated the V6 (to include rear seat DVD, blind spot warning, etc.) which isn't so important to me anymore.

Compared to the SUV's, Alphard seat configuration would be the best as it is very comfortable for 3 or even 4 rear seat passengers. I'm just kind of hesitant with the 3M+ price tag and wish there were some good slightly used deals around.

victorrevolution, Elgrand will be interesting if it actually arrives here. But since it's a Nissan, I hope they undercut Toyota's price a lot for me to consider.

By the way, do you get to sit on the rear seats of your Prado? Are the 2nd row seats comfortable? How is it like?

7. Join Date
    May 2010
    Get the Explorer. It's the best compromise between the Prado and Alphard.

Forget the 2.0Ecoboost, Get the 3.5 V6. Consumption between the two can be neglected.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by SiRbossR View Post
    Get the Explorer. It's the best compromise between the Prado and Alphard.

Forget the 2.0Ecoboost, Get the 3.5 V6. Consumption between the two can be neglected.
    I agree. Pang pamilya na pang sports pa! Prado for of the SUV ng matanda.

9. Join Date
    May 2010
    ^Maganda din naman Prado, but the Diesel one is what i like.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SiRbossR View Post
    ^Maganda din naman Prado, but the Diesel one is what i like.

the diesel prado cost 900,000 more than the gas counterparts as if you already bought an alphard

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER PRADO 3.0 4x4 DIESEL A/T

Unit Price Php 3,785,000.00
    Insurance 104,504.00
    LTO Reg. (3 yrs) FREE_____

TOTAL Php 3,889,504.00

SPECIFICATION: 3.0L Diesel, D4D, In-line 4, 16 Valves, Double Overhead Camshaft (DOHC), Intercooler Turbo, Maximum output of 163hp/3,400rpm, Maximum Torque of 410Nm/2,800 rpm, Full Time Wheel Drive Shift on the fly, 5-Speed Automatic Transmission, Double Wishbone Front Suspension & Rear 4 Link Coil Spring w/ Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System, Ventilated Disc Front & Rear Brakes w/ Anti-lock Brake System, Tires & Wheels: 265/60 R18 Alloy Wheels, Power Steering, Power Windows and Power Door lock, In-Dash CD/Tuner/Bluetooth/Mp3/USB w/ Aux Connection and 6 Speakers, 4 Spoke leather Steering Wheel w/ audio control, Tri-zone Aircon System with Automatic Climate Control, Dual Airbag, Backup Sensor, Smart Entry w/ Push Start System, Leather Seats Material, 8-Way Power Driver seat, Optitron Meter Gauge.

quote sakin pag full cash... dpat nga insurance of my choice eh- mag explorer na lang

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast