New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    My lancer GSR was already sold for the reason that: I rarely use it because of the flooding here in metro Manila. Holes in the road, traffic jams (bigger cars/trucks disregard you for having such a small car) and d trip I usually take during vacations: to my province (Ilocos).

Even before selling the car, I told myself that I will buy a replacement car for it, but, it should not be a small car - "a sportscar " (because I'm also planning to have a MR2) if I'm going to use it going to Ilocos and back.

The city streets here in manila are most likely to be flooded, traffic jams is a daily scenery, and big cars/trucks disregard you if you have a small car. These are the factors that made me realize that I need a Mid-sized SUV to have my driving comfort. For the traffic jams and solution for big trucks, I guessed a Ford Escape or a Toyota Rav4 would do the job for me. Its not that big yet other drivers respect it and it easily fits through trafic jams too. (w/c makes driving easier)

SO, THE B-I-G QUESTION IS:

WHICH IS BETTER FOR ME TO HAVE, IS IT THE TOYOTA RAV4 OR IS IT THE FORD ESCAPE?

Considering their features, gas consumption, resale value after years of use and it's style. (also,I'm planning to give it to my siter after a few months) (I might get a MR2 for myself ) THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Correct me if I'm wrong pero magkalayo yata ang presyo ng dalawang yan. I'd go for the Escape 4x2 dahil mas mura di hamak. Any other SUVs in mind for your budget?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Oh! I'm sorry for not stating some information so that you may have the idea. The model would be from 2000 - 05 (4x4). For the budget - I also want to ask you guys about that. But, I don't want sacrifice the better selection just for some 50 to 100k difference. I could find a Rav4 that sells 500 and a Escape that sells for the same price. But which is better for that money which I will spend for a car.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Well, I'd get the RAV4. But, that's just me. Why not consider the Escape's cousin, the Mazda Tribute?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you need / want a 4x4 SUV, go for the Rav4 (M/T as much as possible). Handles nicely, torquey, and very manueverable. Some things to look out for in a pre-owned Rav4: suspension, power steering leak.

The Escape isn't a bad choice either, just stay away from the 2.0L powered ones... go for the one with the 2.3L engine and you'll be set. It is more comfortable than the Rav4 though the interior is a bit bland for my taste.

bigbigcar.com First Drive: Hyundai Genesis V6

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you need / want a 4x4 SUV, go for the Rav4 (M/T as much as possible). Handles nicely, torquey, and very manueverable. Some things to look out for in a pre-owned Rav4: suspension, power steering leak.

The Escape isn't a bad choice either, just stay away from the 2.0L powered ones... go for the one with the 2.3L engine and you'll be set. It is more comfortable than the Rav4 though the interior is a bit bland for my taste.

bigbigcar.com First Drive: Hyundai Genesis V6

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    While both cars are nice, the RAV4 is more fuel efficient... the Escape 2.3, though, is more comfortable and larger.

But if you're getting an SUV for flood fording, I'd look at secondhand ladder-frame SUVs... crossovers like the Escape and RAV4 can survive higher floodwaters than the GSR, but are still vulnerable to flood. Try looking at secondhand Everests... fuel economy isn't so good (for a diesel), but not bad compared to crossovers, and flood fording capabilities are excellent. Rides like a truck, though... but you can't have everything...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    While both cars are nice, the RAV4 is more fuel efficient... the Escape 2.3, though, is more comfortable and larger.

But if you're getting an SUV for flood fording, I'd look at secondhand ladder-frame SUVs... crossovers like the Escape and RAV4 can survive higher floodwaters than the GSR, but are still vulnerable to flood. Try looking at secondhand Everests... fuel economy isn't so good (for a diesel), but not bad compared to crossovers, and flood fording capabilities are excellent. Rides like a truck, though... but you can't have everything...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    The merits of both vehicles have been extensively discussed in the board. Search mo na lang. Sir Niky in the above post basically put it in a nutshell.

My vote goes to the gen II 1.8L RAV4. Comparably efficient than the 2.3L Escape pero masikip. Para syang sedan on stilts.

For a flood-fording vehicle,why don't you try building from the ground up a Jeep Wrangler/Rubicon replica and modify it to suit such capabilities.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    flood fording ba ika mo? get a crosswind, or a ford everest.

but para hindi ot, i would say that the Rav4 is better in all aspects, except for the somewhat small interior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Is it the Ford Escape or Toyota Rav4?