New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    hi guys. it's me again. i have just passed on the offer of the first gen trooper for the reasons you guys have given me. thanks for that.

i am now deciding on which of these 2 ill be getting... 1st gen pajero or 1st gen patrol. the ride will be mostly be city driven on weekdays and to the farm on weekends. here are the things im concern of:

1) reliability, durability

2) parts availability (mechanical and body)

3) stock accessories/amenities

4) fuel mileage

5) comfort (aircon, seats, suspension settings)

6) best bang for the buck

and ofcourse mga verdicts nyo mga 4x4 experts. please take note that i wont be racing my vehicle.... city and farm and gamit ko nito. thanks again. more power to you guys.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    pajero gets my vote bisoy, i own both gen 1 & 2 pajero.. they are great city and touring vehicles, and have proven to be a capable offroader..

the size is just about right, still not that hard to fit in narrow streets and cramped parking spaces..

mileage i get 6-7km/L city and 9-12km/L hiway..

its comfortable enough, can do better by upgrading the suspension.... aircon is adequate for the 2 front rows.. better add another one on the rear if you plan to always use the 3rd row...

Parts are VERY ABUNDANT! shares a lot of common parts with ohter mistu vehicles like l300,l200,strada and adventure

besides, IMO the pajero looks waaay pogi than the patrol

btw, be sure to get the turbo equipped engine, layo ng performance with the NA.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    1) Reliability will prolly be the same for both. Mitsu interiors age better than Patrols. Some GEN I's still have good looking original interiors because the materials held up well through time.

2) Nissan parts are not hard to find. Mitsubihsi parts are easy to find, too. But when it comes to trim and minor parts, Mitsubishi definitely has the advantage. Even emblems and other trim parts are available as brand new.

3) Mitsu will ride better (with its independent front suspension). Also came with suspension mounted front seats, underseat (2nd row) tool boxes, power windows and locks, center multimeter, etc. The Patrol is more plain-jane with manual windows and simpler seats (no head restraints on rear seats). The Patrol does have a spare fuel container on the tailgate and the rear glass can be opened separately for loading small items.

If you are not going to do anything hardcore, a Pajero on a good set of mud tires and a properly oriented driver is good enough for me.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    very very well said. i hope the patrol peeps will also chime in. re the engine on pajeros, arent all locally sold pajeros have turbos on them? or may NA rin lumabas? are all locally sold pajeros bubble top ba? ive seen some models na flat tops lang. are these imported? is there any model i should be looking for? baka may model kasi na mas maganda at maraming accessories?

im not new to buying 2nd hand cars. with the pajeros, is there anything i should look out for? yung mga nagiging problem areas ng pajeros sana. you also mentioned na 6-7km /L lang sya. hindi ba medyo maaksaya ito? diba 4d56 are also the same engines of l300 vans? diba matipid sila? pero mausok noh?

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    earlier units sport the NA engines.. later ones got equipped with the turbo

local units are all bubble top, some imported units has a flat roof, mine does

i get an average of 6-7km/L on city and betweem 9-12km/L on the hiway... it depends a lot to the habit/attitude of the driver.. i heard some get 9km/L on city drive

yes, its the same engine with the L300, 4D56.. but understandably it consumes more due to its heavier body and the 4x4 mechanism..

btw, I fancy the JDM units, the exceed ones, they come with the TDIC engine, leather interiors, all power, dual A/C and coil suspension on the rear... yun nga lang converted

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    I think theres no need to be very serious about converted stuff sa Gen 1, basta maganda ang conversion nya. In my opinion, im in Bukidnon and I dont go zoom zoom around 140 kph, well, not if your a speed freak. But a Pajero is built to people who have a family and share with them they fun of offroading. Moreover, marami ang naka Pajero dito, surprisingly mas marami ang population of Gen 1 Pajero than the Patrol especially in the really urban areas! They share the same DNA with L300, L200, L300 Delica and Bentoy(Adventure)! Moreover, americans used Paj to rock crawl w/ cherokees??? Dont know why they also love the Montero?.?.. Another factor, why Pajero's been chosen with a lot of weekend offroaders, is that, Pajero's are comfortable and more reviews say that Pajero is more like a "Home in a jungle". Besides, it comes true in terms of space!
    The Trusty Monty : Cardomain

Another suggestion, why wont you go Mitsubishi Willys Jeep? Marami naman dito ah? Marami pang ginagamit pang offroad papuntang farm. Its Cheap and bulletproof!

Hmmm... Im still wondering why Gen 1 Paj is still alive in the Outreach Ministry? "Bulok" na yun pero lakas pa rin engine... hehehe...
    Last edited by drey; June 8th, 2006 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Add more opinions! hehehe

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    We used to have the Mitsu military jeep when my dad was based in CdO... loved that jeep.

The Pajero would be more practical as an all around vehicle but the Patrol has the advantage in performance due to the bigger engine and the body is built like a tank (we had one for around 6 years and that car was really abused and used and it never let us down... plus it could still outrun the intercooler version Pajeros). If i could find a good condition box type Patrol then I would definitely go for that but otherwise the Paj seems more practical and easier to repair.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by v22

i get an average of 6-7km/L on city and betweem 9-12km/L on the hiway... it depends a lot to the habit/attitude of the driver.. i heard some get 9km/L on city drive

yes, its the same engine with the L300, 4D56.. but understandably it consumes more due to its heavier body and the 4x4 mechanism..

btw, I fancy the JDM units, the exceed ones, they come with the TDIC engine, leather interiors, all power, dual A/C and coil suspension on the rear... yun nga lang converted
    Sir V22 Post ka naman pics ng paj mo, hehe, may buyer na kasi yung akin so I'll be missing it surely.

back to the topic

I have an ex jdm pajero 6g72 3.0L automatic. Very powerful, and u'll be thinking na matakaw sya sa gas....naaahh, with proper maintenance,care,tuning,conditioning, I can do an enviable 6-8km./Li mix city hiway drive (Pampanga to RoxasBlvd. back and forth with a full tank) we were stuck in traffic for almost 2 hrs pa bec. of an accident sa san simon exit....

Sa local naman my uncle has d 88 model 4d56, the last time I talked to him, his fuel consumption is the same as sir v22 6-7km./l I agree na it's because of the heavy body, underpowered sya....

So for me, GO FOR THE PAJERO sir!!!!

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    sir ano top speed ng V6 gen 1 paj?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by drey
    sir ano top speed ng V6 gen 1 paj?
    Di ko pa talaga binirit yung akin around 120-125 km/h lang afair...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
First Gen Pajero vs First Gen Patrol