New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Wait for K-AFTA... the Santa Fe will definitely come down in price then.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Well since you put emphasis on the 7 seater part, the Everest's 3rd row doesn't have head rests which makes it rather uncomfortable. Not so sure if it has seatbelts. As for the grey market Santa Fe, it will all depend on where you live. There are grey market dealers that have their own casas and even offer warranties matching those of their local counterparts.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Well since you put emphasis on the 7 seater part, the Everest's 3rd row doesn't have head rests which makes it rather uncomfortable. Not so sure if it has seatbelts. As for the grey market Santa Fe, it will all depend on where you live. There are grey market dealers that have their own casas and even offer warranties matching those of their local counterparts.
    Third row seats on the Montero don't have headrests either, which shouldn't be an issue; we'll only be needing the extra seats for family jaunts (such as going to the mall), not long-haul trips. Admittedly though, the Montero's split-fold rear seats are more flexible than the Everest's bench type, and the Ford website only shows the top-of-the-line variant with third-row seatbelts.

As for location, we live in Antipolo while my in-laws are in Bulacan. I don't know if there are grey market dealers in those areas, but the higher sticker price alone (compared to units from authorized dealers) would likely discourage my in-laws from considering a grey market unit, however tempting it might be in terms of standard features and accessories.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; January 17th, 2012 at 06:49 PM.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Third row seats on the Montero don't have headrests either, which shouldn't be an issue; we'll only be needing the extra seats for family jaunts (such as going to the mall), not long-haul trips. Admittedly though, the Montero's split-fold rear seats are more flexible than the Everest's bench type, and the Ford website only shows the top-of-the-line variant with third-row seatbelts.

As for location, we live in Antipolo while my in-laws are in Bulacan. I don't know if there are grey market dealers in those areas, but the higher sticker price alone (compared to units from authorized dealers) would likely discourage my in-laws from considering a grey market unit, however tempting it might be in terms of standard features and accessories.
    Naku taga probinsya pala... Mahirap yan kapag kukuha ng grey market since most of the better grey market dealers are in QC.

Are you sure about the seatbelts in the Everest? Why would they be scrimping on such things as seatbelts? And then again, usually only the 1st row occupants use seatbelts. I'd say the Everest is more capable of road, is virtually flood-proof and has lots of space. But then the rather harsh ride due to the leaf springs may be a deterrent. If you don't mind the droves of Montero's on the streets, then it'll probably be the best choice being a dragster in the highway courtesy of a combo of their much hyped VGT engine and a manual transmission, and having the best ride quality in its class.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Are you sure about the seatbelts in the Everest? Why would they be scrimping on such things as seatbelts? And then again, usually only the 1st row occupants use seatbelts. I'd say the Everest is more capable of road, is virtually flood-proof and has lots of space. But then the rather harsh ride due to the leaf springs may be a deterrent. If you don't mind the droves of Montero's on the streets, then it'll probably be the best choice being a dragster in the highway courtesy of a combo of their much hyped VGT engine and a manual transmission, and having the best ride quality in its class.
    The Ford website showcases the 4x4 Limited AT as having third-row seatbelts, so I'm not certain if this applies to the 4x2 XLT MT as well; I need to drop by a dealer and see for myself to be sure. But yes, the Everest has obviously higher ground clearance and more interior space. And the wife is starting to be amused at how common the Montero is on the streets these days, it's becoming a good-natured running joke of sorts.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    The Ford website showcases the 4x4 Limited AT as having third-row seatbelts, so I'm not certain if this applies to the 4x2 XLT MT as well; I need to drop by a dealer and see for myself to be sure. But yes, the Everest has obviously higher ground clearance and more interior space. And the wife is starting to be amused at how common the Montero is on the streets these days, it's becoming a good-natured running joke of sorts.
    The street quantity of the unit that fits your need should not be an issue. There is a reason why these vehicles sell more (Fortuner,Montero etc) It is because it suits the Asian market both in functionality and economy. :D

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Titleist983k View Post
    The street quantity of the unit that fits your need should not be an issue. There is a reason why these vehicles sell more (Fortuner,Montero etc) It is because it suits the Asian market both in functionality and economy. :D
    Large numbers of a particular model on the road also means readily available parts, accessories and service (I have owned an Adventure for the last seven years, so I know exactly what you mean). In fact, the wife and the MIL have already singled out a particular color they want for the Montero.

A more serious caveat, however, is the Montero's image as the prey of choice for armed carjackers (although I have yet to hear of a single carjacking incident involving a Montero in recent months, and it didn't stop a family friend from acquiring a Montero himself recently).
    Last edited by Bogeyman; January 17th, 2012 at 10:18 PM.

8. Join Date
    May 2010
    I assure you, or we assure you that buying a grey market import especially from recommended dealers will be the best decision in car purchasing you've made. Warranty palang says it all.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Carjacking is the least thing on my mind when getting a car. As long as you do not park outside as much as possible, lock that steering wheel lock if you do park outside, always lock the doors when travelling, and pray first before you do.

But then, I would still be rooting for that grey market Santa Fe...

10. Join Date
    May 2010
    All trims and variants of the Ford Everest has seat belts on the third row.

For the ride, well, the Father in Law will be coming from an Adventure so the ride will be better on the Everest hands down.

Also, the Everest is more planted on the road than the Montero or the Fortuner. Thus, giving it better handling on corners.

You might wanna check the Everest out. It's really tough i must say and out of the Box the best looking among the Montero, Fortuner or Alterra straight out of the casa(slightly biased here but still, you get the point)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Father-in-law in search of new SUV