New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    if you were to buy just 1 of the 2, which car would you buy if they were from 2001, and why? (lets presume that both cars are in good condition)

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    I'd rather have the ford, why? aesthetically speaking mas maganda ang lynx, and naka RS specs na.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Ford Lynx for me..

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If it's an '01 model i may look at the Exalta STA as i like the design of the Exalta more.

If you're after out-of-the-box performance the the Lynx is a better performer.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    although the lynx ghia looks better, i prefer the exalta sta. more amenities.
    but it would be different if your options are the Lynx RS and the Exalta....

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Exalta STA (which ended its run in 2001, but was actually a 1999-2000 model) is an eight year old car with lots of electronics... lots of things to go wrong... heck, the 12-disc changer usually starts skipping and eating discs after just two years, and the alternator starts having problems after three. Aircons are another known weakness, so check that the compressor isn't making funny noises. The ultra-soft shocks are prone to bottoming out, so check for bushing damage and excess bounciness from the suspension.

The Lynx Ghia has its own problems, too... if you're looking at an automatic, they're generally considered to be terrible gas guzzlers... and early models, being among the first cars in the Philippines with computerized direct injection, had issues with cam position sensors and ignition coils. It's best to buy a car that has had these items replaced already... if not, ask if you can drive the car in traffic, to assess whether these things will become problematic. Only problems on the underside would likely be busted wheel bearings or bushings from running over really bad potholes.

The Exalta has softer, plusher seats, and I like the dark window shades better than the tan ones on the Ghia. The transmission is terribly sluggish, but it's perfect for relaxed cruising and long-distance driving.

The Ghia has a firmer ride. Some find it too firm, but it's great for restraining body motion over bumps and heaves. The steering and handling are much better, too, and the seats give better lower back support than the Exalta's seats.

The final decision is up to you... but which vehicle I'd recommend will depend on which is in better condition. Either car would be a very good, very comfortable commuter, but if you have to fix a lot of things after buying it, it might not be worth the purchase.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Both of them are nice. But I'm still leaning towards the Exalta. Timing chain engine, solid rear axle (less things to go wrong), plush accomodations, etc.

I like the way it looks, too.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    That solid rear axle led me to the most expensive bushing replacecment of my life... Nissan Mantrade claimed that to replace the rear bushing (between the axle and the right side swing-arm... or whatever it's called), they had to "katay" the axle and replace it. Freaking 25,000 pesos for a 500 peso bushing... in 2001! Complete BS.

To be fair, though, yes, there's potentially less to go wrong on the engine... just don't bring it to Nissan for repairs...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    between the choices... i'd get the Lynx. but if you could find the 1st facelifted 02 Lynx Ghia. it already has sunroof, all leather, 6CD in dash changer, rear sunshade, sportier suspension and bigger 15inch wheels. actually later prefacelifted models also has these amenities sans the sunroof.

the Exalta is sluggish. so damn sluggish! gunning the engine feels like all revs and no go and even charges a premium on your gas bills. simply a terrible performer. i believe this is where the Lynx shines. it doesnt have a better gas consumption but every gas seems more well spent in the Lynx. it does have a better handling too.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    very informative! thank you! :P

exalta sta or lynx ghia