New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2011
    I'll be getting a new sedan next month and I prefer a manual transmission. I am thinking of getting either of the 2 but I am more leaning towards the Altis, because of:

1. Cheaper. Price is P853,000 (after discount) while Elantra is P868,000 (after discount)
    2. Well, Toyota is known for reliable cars (Maybe, maybe not?)
    3. Good after sales

One advantage I am seeing for Elantra is of course this is a new model (fresher looks) while Altis is about 2 years older. Honestly, I don't know much about the new Elantra, its specs and all. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by romsky26 View Post
    I'll be getting a new sedan next month and I prefer a manual transmission. I am thinking of getting either of the 2 but I am more leaning towards the Altis, because of:

1. Cheaper. Price is P853,000 (after discount) while Elantra is P868,000 (after discount)
    2. Well, Toyota is known for reliable cars (Maybe, maybe not?)
    3. Good after sales

One advantage I am seeing for Elantra is of course this is a new model (fresher looks) while Altis is about 2 years older. Honestly, I don't know much about the new Elantra, its specs and all. What are your thoughts? Thanks!
    Well i own an altis 1.6 and i'm happy with it naman bro despite sa lack of technology but it has the basic naman, pero alamin mo din muna anong priority mo sa pagbili? Is it the space? new technology? power?
    Honestly i've seen din ung all new elantra and it looks good (parang pinaliit na sonata)

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Maybe Honda will put the current Civic on sale as they are planning to launch the new model. Maybe you can get good discounts on the Civic FB MT model.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    if you want to be safe and sure, go altis.
    if you want adventure, go elantra.

the altis already has a pedigree. the elantra is... new.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Between the two, I'd easily choose the Altis G MT. Based on the HARI website, the Elantra is pretty bare compared to the Altis:

- Urethane steering wheel w/o audio controls
    - 15" rims
    - No fog lamps
    - No side-mirror turn signal indicators
    - 1 airbag only
    - No ABS (!)
    - No aux
    - 4 speakers only
    - Manual climate control

We haven't even talked about Toyota vs. Hyundai. Toyota has better resale value, cheaper casa maintenance, better parts availability outside casa, and much better brand image.

Personally I think the new Elantra is a bit of a wallflower too. Looks cleaner and less nakaka-umay than the previous one, but still not as classy or elegant as the Altis.

The Altis is usually chosen because it's a safe choice, but from my experience owning a G MT, it's also fast, handles much better than all other Corollas, and looks great. I'd say it's a great all-rounder. I don't see how the Elantra can topple it.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2016
    I'll vote for the Altis as well. In terms of performance, which is better kaya?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_jayson View Post
    I'll vote for the Altis as well. In terms of performance, which is better kaya?
    Read the post above your post. Jut sums up pretty much everything.

The 2016 Elantra E MT is suppose to be 828,000 because of the SKorean FTA. Hyundai promised lower prices and yet here they are increasing the price like shyt.

HARI you already said 828k, why the fukc do we buyers have to pay 50k more?

Dont buy the hyundai.... 50k should go somewhere else...

8. Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    Read the post above your post. Jut sums up pretty much everything.

The 2016 Elantra E MT is suppose to be 828,000 because of the SKorean FTA. Hyundai promised lower prices and yet here they are increasing the price like shyt.

HARI you already said 828k, why the fukc do we buyers have to pay 50k more?

Dont buy the hyundai.... 50k should go somewhere else...

I was referring to the performance for both vehicles. Jut703 just mentioned that Altis is fast and has better handling compared to the previous model/s of Corolla. I've driven my friend's 2013 Elantra MT and I can say that it's faster and has better handling compared to the current gen of Altis (2014 up). What I didn't like in Elantra is it's too bare and pricing isn't fair vs. the features.

I'm also looking for a compact car but max budget should not be more than 1M.

I was hoping for the new Civic but I've read an article that pricing is within the 1.1 to 1.3M range.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    The old Elantra also has a good engine for a 1.6. In terms of straight line performance, they're quite similar. The Elantra has better steering but the Altis has a better-balanced chassis and brakes.

Both are faster than a Mazda 3 1.5 (since the Mazda doesn't come with a manual), but both don't handle quite as well.

Have not driven the new Elantra so I can't comment on its handling, but since it's the same engine then straight line performance should be the same.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Since the budget is around 1M, you might as well consider the Nissan Sylphy 1.8V. It has all the creature comforts for a compact car plus a decent powerplant.

If you are aiming for performance, you can get the Focus 1.5L Ecoboost (lower trim Sport hatchback or Titanium sedan) for about 1M with discounts (MSRP just below 1.1M). The power and torque just topples the competition until the arrival of the light and quick Civic 1.5L Turbo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast