New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    What about ALTIS A/T Transmission? Is it passable compared to Honda Civic?

Home to office is a 17KM Travel.

8KM is on an average 40-50KMH (bukid, barrio na maraming tao) going up and down on a hill.

Afterwards, its about 2.5-3KM asphalt with minimal housing and mostly clear traffic so I can play around at 80-100 KMH (also to compensate for time lost on the bukid).

Afterwards, 50-70KMH on another barrio, then about 4-5KM on a long stretch of cemented road with minimal housing/traffic but a not-so-sharp chicane.

This is where I started to love my IPIS' passable handling, accellaration and ABS/EBD. Yet the same chicane where I almost drifted out of control while driving my old Lancer (may tumawid kasing BAKA at walang ABS yung Lancer).

Hence, ABS/EBD, passable handling, and good acceleration is a must for me. PLUS, the fact that this same road (General Trias-Amadeo-Tagaytay) is often an ambush point for feuding clans, I need all the speed and maneuverability I can achieve in case of emergency.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Altis 1.6 versus Civic 1.8 in terms of AT? The Altis has a little more down "oomph", but when you're past walking speed, the Civic is much quicker (the Civic 1.8 MT, on the other hand, has positively explosive acceleration).

In terms of handling, I'd say both are as good as, or better than the City (ipis, hehehe... term of endearment?)... if we're talking the pace you can keep on winding Cavite roads, the Civic will feel much more muscular when you're on pace (if a little soft), but the Corolla may surprise you, also, with its sure-footedness... as long as you don't do anything crazy... both cars default to massive understeer if you push it too far (as I've said before, Corolla due to suspension geometry, Civic due to tires).

If you want a car that handles terrifically, as far as I remember, the base Mazda3 and Focus fall within your price range and both come fully loaded. The Focus, in particular, has the best brakes of any economy car I've driven, period. The Mazda3 handles like a wet dream, the Focus like a european car... but in base spec 1.6, with an AT, both are excruciatingly slow to pick up speed compared to your 1.5 City. Only the 1.6 MT Focus actually has any poke.

Going through an ambush area? Get a 1.5 Jazz... handles like it's on rails...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by devdevlin View Post
    i went to honda and toyota as well. for that budget you can get the altis G at 30% dp tpos 60 months amortization pasok na pasok yun budget mo. toyota gives as much as 50K discount sa DP so parang lumalabas libre na yun insurance, LTO, at chatel.

for the civic 1.8S, medyo mahirap yun work around sa budget kase mas mahal. SA told me that honda is not offering any discount on the civic kse bago model pa. usually they give them out after 4 years or so. so mabigat tlga dp kse you have to shoulder the insurance, LTO, and chatel on top of the DP. sa budget na binigay mo pwde 20% dp for 60 months din pasok din naman sa budget, but banks may be hesitant to approve the loan kse maliit yun DP tpos masyado matagal yun loan period. pero who knows kng makikita naman cguro ng bank na good credit ka approve naman cguro yun.

i have the same delema as you kasi, pinagpipilian ko civic at altis

Yup, same observation here at my Area.

The SA who happened to be a neighbor mentioned na 70K discount sa Altis S at 60K discount sa Altis E. Noong una kasi e long shot na ang 1.6E pero na-realize ko na konti lang ang price variance ng 1.6G at loaded na. Most probably, Subwoofer na lang ang ida-dagdag ko sa 1.6 (not much into jazzing-up my ride)

This evening ko pa maitatanong ang discount sa Altis 1.6G. Also need to double check the specifications. Medyo conflicting ang details sa MOTIONCARS at sa TOYOTA Philippines. And Toyota Philippines also have its share of erroneous entry (1.6S is rated as A/T).

So, were you able to decide between CIVIC and Altis?

Engine wise and porma, willing akong mag-tipid just to afford Civic 1.8S.
    Problem is, my wife is skeptical because mahihirapan daw siyang gamitin ang Civic, if in case na kailangan naming mag-palit due to color coding.
    Hence, inclined siya sa Altis, unless I can compile decisive advantage for Civic (through this thread).

4. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by macstar1 View Post
    Yup, same observation here at my Area.

The SA who happened to be a neighbor mentioned na 70K discount sa Altis S at 60K discount sa Altis E. Noong una kasi e long shot na ang 1.6E pero na-realize ko na konti lang ang price variance ng 1.6G at loaded na. Most probably, Subwoofer na lang ang ida-dagdag ko sa 1.6 (not much into jazzing-up my ride)

This evening ko pa maitatanong ang discount sa Altis 1.6G. Also need to double check the specifications. Medyo conflicting ang details sa MOTIONCARS at sa TOYOTA Philippines. And Toyota Philippines also have its share of erroneous entry (1.6S is rated as A/T).

So, were you able to decide between CIVIC and Altis?

Engine wise and porma, willing akong mag-tipid just to afford Civic 1.8S.
    Problem is, my wife is skeptical because mahihirapan daw siyang gamitin ang Civic, if in case na kailangan naming mag-palit due to color coding.
    Hence, inclined siya sa Altis, unless I can compile decisive advantage for Civic (through this thread).
    to be honest im inclined sa altis. ang important kase sakin is yun safety features. im willing to sacrifice looks and engine performace sa dual airbags, abs, and brake assist kse i'll be a first time driver. though i know the civic S has the same features, mas budget friendly kse altis. kung meron lng sana ako 70-80K lying around id go for the civic but my budget dictates otherwise.

OT i liked the showroom of honda marikina kse kita mo yun mga sasakyan na ginagawa kasi gawa sa salamin. i know most casa's do not allow clients to be in the production area while mechanics are fixing your car. may mga iba casa pa ba na gn2 setup? at least mdyo magdadalawa isip yun mga mekaniko kumahoy ng parts s ssakyan d b? though i doubt it will stop them.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    If you want a car that handles terrifically, as far as I remember, the base Mazda3 and Focus fall within your price range and both come fully loaded. The Focus, in particular, has the best brakes of any economy car I've driven, period. The Mazda3 handles like a wet dream, the Focus like a european car... but in base spec 1.6, with an AT, both are excruciatingly slow to pick up speed compared to your 1.5 City. Only the 1.6 MT Focus actually has any poke.

Going through an ambush area? Get a 1.5 Jazz... handles like it's on rails...
    Yeah, I read in Top Gear review that Mazda 3 and Focus (basically twins when it comes to engine and suspension) handles very well. Unfortunately, the high-end high displacement version is too expensive for me. And based on reviews, Mazda 1.6L lacks the power as compared to Altis and Civic.

In fact, a couple of months ago, i lost my temper ng may bastos na Mazda 3 Driver na nang-cut sa may Daang hari at parang nangha-hamit pa. Magslow-down pag malayo ako, hahataw pag malapit na ako. My wife gave me the go signals, so hinabol ko ng City. Tapat ng konti sa 4-lane portion, apak sa gas, shift to 7 speed, ayun naiwan ang loko . . . humahabol siya sa curves, thanks to 3's good handling and me being an amateur and still careful driver, but on long stretch of straight or not so cuved roads, the 1.6L Mazda 3 seems an unfair match against the CITY. And I can tell na humahabol talaga yung napahiyang driver.

Jazz ? Great looker and much better than the City. But as much as possible, ayoko naman na parehong sub-compact ang Oto namin ni Misis. Medyo bumpy rin kasi ang City at Jazz sa rear portion. it can attack a humps or a pot hole head on with minimal "uga" pero try going diagonal on humps and you will feel the two sides shake like there's an earthquake. Its bane is also uneven pavements where in parang ocean waves ang kalsada. i guess it is because of the short travel of rear suspension as Honda's economical way of achieving "good" handling.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    lam mo tol, malaki desciding pull ng mga misis at gf eh whehehe

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    lam mo tol, malaki desciding pull ng mga misis at gf eh whehehe
    Hehehe, SAKTO!

In fact, we were about to trade-in our 94 GLXi Lancer for a 2007 GLS Lancer last Saturday. Unfortunately for Mitsubishi Dasma, from where we are coming from, Toyota Dasma comes first and we decided to check Toyota options first.
    it also happened that our neighbor was the SA. We were shown the Yaris, Avanza and Altis.

Yaris, is another sub-compact, Avanza seems OK (and 7 seater) but no ABS/EBD and no discount, while Altis E A/T has 60K discount. Fully loaded ang 1.6E A/T so pagdating sa Mitsubishi, parang nawalan na kami ng gana sa Lancer GLS. May DVD Player, ABS/EBD, Backup Sensor at Fog light ang Lancer MX pero when you look at it, almost as bland as GLS. Parang walang x factor.

So it was Altis then. But when I looked at conflicting Motioncars and Toyota specs, Altis 1.6G seems affordable and more "complete" on base specs. So Altis 1.6G na ang naging baseline. Though I still need to see the discounted computation this evening.

However, I am also a big fan of the new Civic Last year, I chose between City and Civic. Although back then, as an amateur driver, I found the Civic's dimensions and extended dashboard too difficult for my driving skills. Di pa rin ako nakakaintindi ng difference between TORSION BEAM and DOUBLE WISHBONE. Hence . . . this thread in search of other's opinion.

Thanks!

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You won't really notice the difference unless you drive balls out... thus, it usually isn't an issue. There's better riding comfort with dual wishbones, however, over single wheel bumps.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Hehehe, SAKTO!

In fact, we were about to trade-in our 94 GLXi Lancer for a 2007 GLS Lancer last Saturday. Unfortunately for Mitsubishi Dasma, from where we are coming from, Toyota Dasma comes first and we decided to check Toyota options first.
    it also happened that our neighbor was the SA. We were shown the Yaris, Avanza and Altis.

Yaris, is another sub-compact, Avanza seems OK (and 7 seater) but no ABS/EBD and no discount, while Altis E A/T has 60K discount. Fully loaded ang 1.6E A/T so pagdating sa Mitsubishi, parang nawalan na kami ng gana sa Lancer GLS. May DVD Player, ABS/EBD, Backup Sensor at Fog light ang Lancer MX pero when you look at it, almost as bland as GLS. Parang walang x factor.

So it was Altis then. But when I looked at conflicting Motioncars and Toyota specs, Altis 1.6G seems affordable and more "complete" on base specs. So Altis 1.6G na ang naging baseline. Though I still need to see the discounted computation this evening.

However, I am also a big fan of the new Civic Last year, I chose between City and Civic. Although back then, as an amateur driver, I found the Civic's dimensions and extended dashboard too difficult for my driving skills. Di pa rin ako nakakaintindi ng difference between TORSION BEAM and DOUBLE WISHBONE. Hence . . . this thread in search of other's opinion.

Thanks!
    pg cnabi ng kapitbahay mong SA na libre na insurance, chatel, LTO, at rust proofing pakilala mo ako. sa kanya na din ako kukuha

10. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    pg cnabi ng kapitbahay mong SA na libre na insurance, chatel, LTO, at rust proofing pakilala mo ako. sa kanya na din ako kukuha
    Sige, tanong ko.
    Actually, sa 60K discount ng 1.6E, lumalabas ng libre eh.
    Ang sistema kasi sa Toyota Dasma e ico-compute muna ang
    DP + Chattel + LTO + Insurance + Rust proof (libre na yata talaga ito)
    then, saka ibabawas ang 60K.

Confirm ko mamaya kung magkano ang discount sa 1.6G AT at kung ano talaga SPEC.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Discounted Altis 1.6E/G, or Civic 1.8S, or Avanza 1.5G?