New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    A big car costs big money to maintain. If you can't stretch the budget past 150k, buying a car that costs the whole 150k will lead to problems down the road, when, in several months' time, you have to replace around 30k worth of parts. (Ever check out the price of a Cefiro CV Joint? I choked last time I looked...)

Buy a car around 120k that's small, cheap and reliable, then save the rest of your budget for possible repairs. That 30k should cover some of the more common possible incidentals like a flat battery, brake pads, tires, shock absorbers and new radiator hoses.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Get the AE101, its very durable considering the number of these still plying the streets. The GLi is quick enough that I'm sure a well maintained unit would still be able to keep up with the current 1.6 Corolla. As for the Galant, its a good car but the fuel consumption would definitely sting the wallet. Perhaps you can look for a reasonably priced '95 Accord EXi or better yet, add a little more for a '96 Accord VTi.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Get a 97 Honda City 1.3 EXi AT. Its practical, roomy(for its size), decent equipment, quick and fuel efficient and will fit your budget. The City has very good AC system and will be a good replacement to your Corolla XE.

Also this car is already fuel injected. So, you wont have problems using a cheaper E10 mixed unleaded fuel.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    agree with niky, bigger the car, the bigger maintenance. given the choice, go for the corolla. grabe mga pyesa ng galant, cefiro, accord (pag sanay ka sa mga civic corolla lancer)

also if budget permits, the city as suggested by basti08 is another great choice. may 1.3 pala na matic? ang alam ko lang yung 1.5 yung meron matic. hehe

pero ang alam ko yung GLi fuel injected na rin. tama ba, may "i" kasi yung dulo?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Yup, 97 palang pina uso na ng Honda ang matic option sa lesser engined models nila.

sa 150K madaming Honda City na pasok sa banga ;)

6. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by voltscastillo View Post
    150K is a bit low for your criteria of excellent reliability (i.e., sasakyan na lang).

a 96-97 cefiro goes for as little as 165-170 these days na lang. these cars are worlds apart from your ae101.

big body ae101s, while plentiful, ay marami na rin na pa karag-karag. malas mo pa if you get a flood damaged unit. although mura, you won't get much comfort and amenities in this model.

if all you need are seats, a steering wheel and an automatic gearbox, you can go for a 4 or 5 door kia pride, you know. merong ganito, and they were not used as taxis (a/t eh) so they should be reasonably well kept.

mas mura pa, than say, a run to the ground corolla with a cracked dashboard na binebenta ng 160K (kasi toyota reliable DAW eh). utang loob mo pa sa seller kung patawarin ka nya ng 10K.

tapos pag inuwi mo, mag ooverheat ka... hehe.
    So I'll replace a bigbody XE that we've owned since new with a second hand kia pride? Maybe your mom would, but not me, no thanks. I'd rather commute. Or take a reliable Toyota taxi, for that matter. I don't think that Toyota taxi will break down on me when I'm running late for work, will it?

7. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    We once had a manual AE101 GLi, and I've had the opportunity of driving an automatic GLi. What I've noticed is that it's much slower to react, but that can be expected of 90's slushboxes. Power-wise, I'd say it's about 10-15% slower when accelerating compared to the manual GLi. However, our old GLi was better maintained than my friend's matic GLi so that could've been a factor.

But clearly, if you're comparing the carbureted 2E vs the 4AFE, well the 4A-FE is leagues better. And is quite economical too. 8.5 km/l city driving for our old manual GLi. The matic would probably get 7.5-8. And even with the automatic transmission, the 4A-FE would still be much more powerful compared to the 2E.

Just be careful shopping around for units this old though. But given the abundance of AE101s, it's not that hard to look for a good one.
    Thanks for your very helpful insight, from an actual user, no less. This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for, not inane suggestions like buying a Kia Pride.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Also, the last time i checked, Pride GTX AT costs around 120K still. For a very decent 97-98 models. Though for me, that's fairly steep for an old Kia.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tanatej View Post
    Thanks for your very helpful insight, from an actual user, no less. This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for, not inane suggestions like buying a Kia Pride.
    Happy to help. Thing is though, the cost of acquiring a GLi is over 150k already. If you can find a good-running 150k unit, that's great. So if you're set in getting one, I hope that you keep in mind that you're going to spend a bit extra on repairs. Though I must say, 220,000 km in our old GLi and nothing serious has gone wrong. Worst I've had was oil leakage. Had it fixed but it never really recovered. Other minor stuff include torn speakers, faulty power windows and door locks that lock only 3/4 doors. They're not really expensive to fix, just a trip to Banawe :D

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    How about swapping your engine for a 4afe with an a/t tranny? if you have the budget. You retain your old car (nostalgia included) given that you know how it was maintained and the condition of your under pinnings, so your not in the dark as to how the car was maintained. Also it eliminates the fear of buying an Ondoy'd Car... In another sense it could also be thought of as a project car. change it to a euro look... etc...

One good thing about corolla's is that there is an abundance of choice for parts as well as surplus engines.... Why gamble on a second hand when you can improve the current one?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
For a daily driver: AE101 GLi A/T or 7G Galant A/T?