New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    I've always thought the Cressida was a "smaller" version of the Crown. However, I was told that they're the same vehicle badged differently in different markets.

But I remember there was a time the release of these two overlapped locally - there was a Crown and a Cressida. I know the Cressida coupe was an import from the US - the sedan as well? Thanks for inputs friends.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    AFAIK, the two were released here (locally) as separate units. The crown was badged as more of a mid-end family sidean (much like the Camry is today). If memory serves me right, the Cressida released here was for a different market. AFAIR, the Crown then was the "luxury" sedan of choice for people who can't quite afford a Benz or for people who already have a Benz but wanted a luxury sedan than was bit more...fuel efficient (EXPERTS: please correct me if I am wrong here). The sportier-looking Cresside was sort of marketed to...gentlemen drivers, if you know what I mean.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yup, the Cressida was more of a mid-size sedan in terms of trim level and comfort (although body sizes of both were somewhat similar). The Cressida is most likely the progenitor of the Camry today... My brother and I used to call the Crown the "Martial Law machine" as it was popular during that time...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Cressida was also sold to different markets using different names. it was also sold as the Mark II, Chaser (for the 2-door coupe version), and the cresta. the 1989-1992 Cressida was also very similar to the first generation Lexus ES250/ES300. It was the largest Toyota sedan available in the North American market until 1992, when it was replaced by the Avalon.

The Crown is a larger sedan compared to the Cressida. It was mostly sold in the Japan, and other parts of Asia.

Crown vs. Cressida