New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    In case anyone missed it, the COTY-P (Car of the Year Philippines) group has recently released performance figures for new cars launched in 2012 by way of Kotse.com: http://www.kotse.com/home/index.php/...13-performance

For the most part, I find the results believable, if a tad slow. However, Niky has posted in a thread somewhere here that the tests were done with 2 people on board, and an additional 50-100 kg could definitely bog down performance numbers a bit. Overall, it seems more realistic than C!'s figures (as noted in their car guide at the end of their issues), as those numbers seem to be all over the place.

That said, there are a few things I wanna clarify. First and foremost, is the Ranger 2.2L really faster from 0-100 than a BT-50 3.2? The numbers show 11.8s for the Ranger and 12.4 for the BT-50. I've been reading a lot about people being unsatisfied with the Ranger's 2.2L performance and are thus waiting for the Wildtrak which shares the same 200 hp 3.2 as the BT-50, but these figures seem to be disheartening.

Second, the automatic version of the Toyota 86 posted a 9.5-sec 0-100 time, which is over a second slower than what international motoring bodies have tested for the same car. What gives?

Third, and this is really more of an inquiry, is the FB Civic really that much slower than the FD? I've read before that a 1.8S FD AT can do 100 kph in ~11s from a standstill, and I've tried this personally with a crude stopwatch and a flat stretch of empty road and I did get similar numbers. The FB on the other hand now takes over 12s to achieve the same feat, which is kinda sad, to say the least. I've driven both models (though not back-to-back), and while the newer FB does feel more comfy, I didn't expect that this much of a performance deduction was the tradeoff.

Again, I made this thread not to discredit the COTY-P results, because I do believe that the people behind it share my desire for accurate and objective results. These questions are simply to appease my curiosity.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    a similar test for the accent crdi

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Impreza also has a similar slalom time as the Rio and the 300C. It gets beat by the Cherokee and the 5008

4. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Subaru Impreza 2.0i 10 secs

Subaru impreza 2.0i Sport 12 secs.

The disparity is huge * 2 seconds . This is the same car, same engine, same everything except trim. 2 seconds is huge when you're only sprinting from zero-100 kmh. I seriously doubt the accuracy of this.

Also regarding the Bt50 with 200hp vs the 2.2 liter Ford Ranger, again I doubt that the much more powerful and torquey BT50 takes longer to the century mark.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Guys, again, nasa driver yan.

Mas mabilis pa yung Rio 1.2LX MT sa Rio 1.4L AT. Must be the weight difference and the transmission...

Pero ang impressive diyan, yung Mirage. Ang bilis huminto. :bowdown: Tama nga feedbacks ng iba, maganda brakes ng Mirage.
    Last edited by renzo_d10; March 26th, 2013 at 12:08 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post

Mas mabilis pa yung Rio 1.2LX MT sa Rio 1.4L AT. Must be the weight difference and the transmission...

Pero ang impressive diyan, yung Mirage. Ang bilis huminto. :bowdown: Tama nga feedbacks ng iba, maganda brakes ng Mirage.

Not really sa driver as much as you would think. The RIO 1.2L M/T was simply more responsive overall than the 1.4L A/T during the COTY test drives. based on my experience with both cars, I really felt the 1.2L M/T goes better than it's 1.4L A/T variant. So the 1.4L A/T was disappointing for "performance".

7. Join Date
    Jun 2008

Agree ako dito sa GLS model but not in GLX variant, although halos parehas din lang ng ibang brand.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    The Impreza also has a similar slalom time as the Rio and the 300C. It gets beat by the Cherokee and the 5008
    For the Peugeot 5008, you have to drive it to know. It's a very fast MPV that I wouldn't mind driving everyday.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Not really sa driver as much as you would think. The RIO 1.2L M/T was simply more responsive overall than the 1.4L A/T during the COTY test drives. based on my experience with both cars, I really felt the 1.2L M/T goes better than it's 1.4L A/T variant. So the 1.4L A/T was disappointing for "performance".
    Well ya. I've been reading Niky's posts and it's all hail & praises sa performance ng 1.2L Rio. Maganda nga raw performance, and to back it all up, it's not sharing the same FC woes of its bigger sibling, the 1.4L AT

I'm very impressed with the GLS Mirage. Laki pala ng difference if you have ABS+EBD noh? Kasi ang alam ko yung GLX Mirage walang ABS+EBD, am I right?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    For the Peugeot 5008, you have to drive it to know. It's a very fast MPV that I wouldn't mind driving everyday.
    Any idea why the Impreza was unusually slow? CVT?

I'm very impressed with the GLS Mirage. Laki pala ng difference if you have ABS+EBD noh? Kasi ang alam ko yung GLX Mirage walang ABS+EBD, am I right?
    Yep GLX no ABS/EBD. Skinnier tires din (165 14" vs 175 15").

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast