New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    2001 Toyota Revo 2.4GLX M/T Diesel
    ~8250kms/year, ~7.5km/L pure city driving, mostly short trips
    fuel costs per year at P45100 with P41/L price of diesel
    routine PMS total of around 6k per year (every 5tkms)
    total of around P51100 per year or around P6.19/km

Now that's pretty much the worst case scenario already. Gas mileage can get to 8km/L or better if its longer city trips.

Considering that we're talking about OPEX efficient cars here, the other cars are not worth mentioning.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    2001 Toyota Revo 2.4GLX M/T Diesel
    ~8250kms/year, ~7.5km/L pure city driving, mostly short trips
    fuel costs per year at P45100 with P41/L price of diesel
    routine PMS total of around 6k per year (every 5tkms)
    total of around P51100 per year or around P6.19/km

Now that's pretty much the worst case scenario already. Gas mileage can get to 8km/L or better if its longer city trips.

Considering that we're talking about OPEX efficient cars here, the other cars are not worth mentioning.

Thanks for sharing *GTi.

Worth to include even gas guzzlers here, as some of our readers are comparing among expected gas guzzler car options, like for example, choosing between a Ford Explorer Limited vs Ford Explorer EcoSport, Dodge Durango, Hyundai Veracruz, Mazda CX9, etc. Or Expedition vs Suburban, Navigator, etc. Or Previa vs E150. Just some examples.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ronw123w124 View Post
    One of my cars is also a Benz 300SD but mine is an 81 model, sobrang tipid nga nyan, its even more fuel efficient than my other Benz which is an 82 300D W123 body. Nung unang gamit ko sa 300SD kala ko sira yung fuel gauge until sinubukan ko pa full tank, I realized na konti lang talaga consumo ng diesel.

Another nice thing about old Benzes is that they're so old that depreciation is non existent with these cars, in fact ang taas nga ng bentahan ng mga Diesel Benzes these days.
    The tactic to getting good mileage with it is to stay under the turbo (2500 rpm) as much as possible, there is terrible turbo lag anyway so you can feel it. There was actually a time, about 5 years ago, we passed star tollway end-to-end (wala pang slex to star extension) 40kms yun, when we gassed it, it came out at 1.2 Liters (parang impossible, most likely may pressure sa tank or ewan, or nakatodo yung nozzle) mukhang nangago lang kami sa gas station.

Highway average with normal 85-90 cruising is about 14, sa city 10-11 pa rin
    Ill add a car with a presumably horrible opex

2001 Ford Expedition
    Odometer = 130,000
    Est. Total Mileage / Year: 12000
    Average Fuel Consumption: 5 km/L (50% Highway 50% City)
    Fuel Cost per year: P120,000
    PMS Costs: 15,000 per year (the truth is hindi mahal magmaintain)
    OPEX/Yr: P135,000
    Cost per km = Php 11.25/km

4. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by viper888 View Post
    The tactic to getting good mileage with it is to stay under the turbo (2500 rpm) as much as possible, there is terrible turbo lag anyway so you can feel it. There was actually a time, about 5 years ago, we passed star tollway end-to-end (wala pang slex to star extension) 40kms yun, when we gassed it, it came out at 1.2 Liters (parang impossible, most likely may pressure sa tank or ewan, or nakatodo yung nozzle) mukhang nangago lang kami sa gas station.

Highway average with normal 85-90 cruising is about 14, sa city 10-11 pa rin
    Ill add a car with a presumably horrible opex
    Better also to try Vinj's fuel fill logging method to "counter-check" if you really getting 14km/l.

Your 300SD being a Mercedes, may have came straight from other domestic market having cold climate or winter season. If that is the case, it may be fitted with electric heater in the tank and/or has relatively higher fuel return rate which is an effective method of heating the tank (the diesel inside it).

In colder countries having winter season, diesel is prone to waxing or gelling. So various means of heating the fuel tank is adopted in the car. I even used to wonder why exhaust muffler is being placed very close to the fuel tank..

In colder climate and during winter, the fuel temperature inside their tank is dropping as they drive further. no wonder why their juices are prone to shrinking. hahah. They are just contented with their 22MPG combined (city and highway) that is equivalent only to 9.5km/l

While in our country, ambient temperature can go as high as 36 degC. Then more heat is even added because fuel is recirculating to the hot (70-90decC) engine and comes back to the tank through the fuel return line. Our relatively hotter weather could increase (by perception) the fuel mileage especially if done in short distance, single journey, full-tank-to full-tank method.

Just remember kapag may init or pampainit lumalaki ang mga bagay bagay. Akala mo puno na or masikip na yun pala kapag nalamigan, marami pa pwedeng ipasok.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ano727 View Post
    Thanks for sharing *GTi.

Worth to include even gas guzzlers here, as some of our readers are comparing among expected gas guzzler car options, like for example, choosing between a Ford Explorer Limited vs Ford Explorer EcoSport, Dodge Durango, Hyundai Veracruz, Mazda CX9, etc. Or Expedition vs Suburban, Navigator, etc. Or Previa vs E150. Just some examples.
    I see. It is worthy of note though that OPEX numbers vary a lot also from person to person, even if it is the same car. For one, I have a heavy foot but I never let the car idle for long periods of time with the aircon on just to beat the heat. This would result in me getting lower running costs than another person who drives with a lighter foot but spends long periods of time idling with the aircon on.

My uncle drives the Santa Fe. He has an even heavier foot than I, goes out of town often, and spends lots of time idling with the aircon on.
    2008 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi VGT 4x2 A/T
    ~10000kms/year, ~7km/L on average
    fuel costs per year at around P58571.43 calculated with the above figures, with P41/L price of diesel
    routine PMS total of around 8k per year (so far has only done change oil since the car hasn't been bought for very long)
    So that's P66571.43 per year or P6.66/km calculated with the above figures.

2002 Isuzu Trooper 3.0Ddi 4x2 A/T (with us from 2003-2011, from 20tkms to 73tkms)
    ~6625kms/year, ~6.5km/L city
    fuel costs per year at around P41788.46 given the above figures and with P41/L price of diesel
    routine PMS around 8k per year (every 5tkms), have to buy almost all of the stuff from the casa hence the higher costs
    total of around P49788.46 per year or P7.51/km with the above figures

2005 Honda Accord 2.4i-VTEC A/T
    ~10000kms/year, ~6.5km/L mixed city/highway (highway part is NLEX till Valenzuela exit daily)
    fuel costs per year at around P84615.38 with P55/L price of premium gasoline
    routine PMS total of around 8k per year (every 5tkms)
    total of around P92615.38 per year or around P9.26/km with the above figures

Take note that routine maintenance does not include costs incurred from replacing non-consumable parts or consumable parts not replaced in a 5tkms or 10tkms interval. There's still the Tribute, but its just bought half a year ago and hasn't really piled up that many kilometers with us yet. We have yet to see how this one will turn out. The Accord 3.0V6 has been with us longer, but then it has only ever been used 3tkms since it was bought with duties usually relegated to the more fuel efficient cars, and is used mostly for occasions or out of town trips so I can't tell either.
    Last edited by GTi; April 8th, 2013 at 12:42 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234