New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hi folks. Well, my company is asking me to make a choice coz if I don't avail of our car plan now, I go back to the end of the line and let the other employees have their turn.

For my car plan limits, I've short listed the choices between the:

2014 Hyundai Tucson GL 4x2
    2.0 16-valve CVVT petrol engine (NU Engine as opposed to Theta II)
    6 speed AT
    FWD
    ABS and driver side airbag
    5 doors

Vs.

2014 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.6G
    1.6 liter 16 valve dual VVTi engine
    CVT (up to 7 virtual forward gears)
    ABS with EBD
    Dual airbags
    Optitron gauges
    Multi information display

I know they're not in the same category and that the Altis would likely be more fuel efficient of the two. Yun lang, the Tucson gives some peace of mind pag malakas ang ulan at Medyo mataas ang tubig. Parehong gwapo in my preferred color (black). I'm torn because my budget allows for both vehicles (actually, konting dagdag for the Tucson).

Added info: I'm keeping the car for at least 5 years.

Please help me decide.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Altis6453; October 6th, 2014 at 04:20 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I had the same dilemma 4 yrs ago. I got an Altis in the end and I am happy with my purchase. I am not a fan of Korean cars and neither are my trusted car advisers. Hyundai fan boys, wag kayong magagalit :peace:

I've been tracking my fuel consumption. Please take note that I idle a lot sometimes as long as 1 hour waiting for parking at work. I am not an efficient driver as well. I average at 9.36 km/l mixed driving (tracked since Feb 2014)

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    +1 on the Altis.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    I had the same dilemma 4 yrs ago. I got an Altis in the end and I am happy with my purchase. I am not a fan of Korean cars and neither are my trusted car advisers. Hyundai fan boys, wag kayong magagalit :peace:

I've been tracking my fuel consumption. Please take note that I idle a lot sometimes as long as 1 hour waiting for parking at work. I am not an efficient driver as well. I average at 9.36 km/l mixed driving (tracked since Feb 2014)
    If you don't mind, what trim of the Altis did you get? 1.6G, V? I like it, too because, well...it's a Toyota. Hehe! According to a friend who owns one, the gas variant of the Tucson gets between 8 to 8.8 km/l.not bad, but not in the same conversation as the Altis.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    If your budget allows for the price of the Tucson GL, you might as well opt for the TOTL compacts like the Mazda3 2.0L, Focus 2.0L Sport, Civic 2.0L, or Altis 2.0L. If budget is limited to less than 1M, the Altis 1.6V will be just fine, or maybe the Mazda3 1.5L.

Sorry but I'm not really a fan of the looks of the Tucson. Its Kia twin, the Sportage, is much better looking.
    Last edited by Egan101; October 6th, 2014 at 05:08 PM.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    How come you're limited to just these two cars? Does your car plan dictate particular models?

If not, for the budget of 900k-1.1M I'd suggest an Altis V or if you're willing to add a little, a Montero Sport GLX.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Altis6453 View Post
    If you don't mind, what trim of the Altis did you get? 1.6G, V? I like it, too because, well...it's a Toyota. Hehe! According to a friend who owns one, the gas variant of the Tucson gets between 8 to 8.8 km/l.not bad, but not in the same conversation as the Altis.
    I got the 1.6 G. The interior is spacious and I absolutely love driving a CVT. My neighbor recently got a black 2.0v and it's so guapo! I am not sure if he change his mags though. Here's my recent fuel log:

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    is this car plan libre for you? or do you have to pay for it?
    because if you have to pay for it and there's nothing wrong with your current car naman, why buy? use the money for something else..
    but if you are decided on buying, i'm for the corolla.
    i still do not fully trust korean cars. and my colleagues still have horror stories about korean casa service..

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    is this car plan libre for you? or do you have to pay for it?
    because if you have to pay for it and there's nothing wrong with your current car naman, why buy? use the money for something else..
    but if you are decided on buying, i'm for the corolla.
    i still do not fully trust korean cars. and my colleagues still have horror stories about korean casa service..
    Actually, I pay part of it. It's your vanilla variety car plan with a 70:30 split. Well, I thought about not availing for now, but my car is a 5 year old Honda City. Wala namang major issues. Just thought it'd be nice to drive a new car.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2013
    ^I'd go for the altis sir. Bagay sa tsikot handle nyo.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast