New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My cousin is in the market for a new car and her family has narrowed it down to the City and Mazda 3. This should be an interesting comparison as well as a difficult chocie. Here are her thoughts about the problem... I'd love to hear what tsikoteers would suggest:

"We are in the market for a new car, and the sooner we can purchase one, the better. We've narrowed down our choices to a Mazda 3 and a Honda City.

If we choose a Mazda 3, would it matter if we get the 1.6L S A/T rather than the 1.6L V A/T? The major difference between the two is that the S model has only 1 airbag and no ABS. The price difference is P80,000.00, which I'm thinking is big enough to consider.

If we choose a Honda City, our choices narrow further to a 1.3 S CVT and a 1.5 V CVT. The difference between the two is that the S model has no airbags at all and no ABS. Price difference is P81,000.00.

Of course we like the Mazda 3 with all its nice features. But the City also has the same things that I like about the Mazda, particularly the option to go manual transmission (tama ba pag-intindi ko?) like the Mazda's "activematic" transmission, as well as the stereo controls on the steering wheel itself. They're both spacious, front and back seats and trunk.

The City is definitely cost-friendly, and getting it would leave us some extra funds with which to purchase a replacement for our Crosswind naman (This is another story. Later.) There is a fear though that if we do get a City, will we have misgivings about our choice? Will we feel bad not getting the Mazda na lang? Ganda talaga porma ng Mazda, though I'm perfectly fine with City's look also. This is where you come in, Car Guru. Maybe you have some other things for us to consider. Maybe you can also tell us your personal choice and why. Can you also tell us about the resale value of these two?

On the Crosswind's replacement naman, we've decided that we should have a sedan and a van-type car always. So far, only the Innova seems to be the best choice, price- and design-wise. But maybe you can still recommend something else? What I don't like about the Innova models is that only the highest model is Diesel-A/T. Nakakapagod na kasi ang M/T especially for city-driving, so we opt for A/T units na lang. Also, diesel is the preferred fuel choice sana.

What I hate about Toyota is that they always scrimp on the accessories and other features. Their bare units often cost the same as a loaded or semi-loaded unit from another brand. Will it matter, or is there much difference between the Innova 2.5 J Dsl M/T, Innova 2.5 E Dsl M/T, Innova 2.5 G Dsl M/T and Innova 2.5 G Dsl A/T? I guess the last two is pretty obvious. I forgot what the dealers told me about the J, E and G models, but I can guess that the J, being the cheapest, is practically bare. Will we regret it if we got this cheapest model?

Last, why is it that Toyota has a separate cost for rustproofing? Don't they rustproof their cars? Or are they all factory-rustproofed (like the other brands) and this is just optional?"

My heart screams Mazda3 but my mind says City.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ILD, so anong masusunod ang puso o ang utak...he..he

mazda 3 ako, leave the crosswind, its undestructable and super tipid, para naman may diesel-fed car pa kayo di ba...

o sha...mazda 3 na........

Kimps: In this case, sa puso ako . Ganda ng porma ng Mazda3.

Tho the City would be a more "practical" car - newer less thirsty engine, more cargo space, roomy 2nd row seats.
    Last edited by ILuvDetailing; April 29th, 2006 at 05:33 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mazda 3. compact versus a subcompact. sacrifice a few km/l for the looks. re: the steering mounted gear shifting of the city, you'll forget about it after the first few kilometers. hehehe sakin fun factor niya was 10 minutes tapos i just left it at automatic. . sa mazda 3, at least gear shifting ka. mas may "feel". id rather get the V. i dont mind paying 80000 more for safety features.
    Got Mazda?-http://www.MAZDAtech.org [SIZE="1"]est. 2000[/SIZE]
    got mazda 2? -> mazda2ners

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    Mazda 3 na

BTW on goin pa ba ang promo nila for M3?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    what if we throw in the Civic 1.8V and 1.8S into the mix? hehe. the new Civic is similarly priced to the Mazda 3 1.6S/V

In that case, get the Civic, M/T should be sweet

9. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Civic or City

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Interesting problem. The City is the most practical choice, of course, and they should try to get ABS on a 1.3. The Civic actually has a smaller trunk and lacks the City's cargo flexibility. Its probably got the best ride, though and it's the fastest. (dunno if the AT fits the budget, though...) The Mazda has the best handling and the most interior space, but merely average fuel economy.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
City or Mazda 3 - help my cousin choose a car