New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    I am leaning towards the City 1.5E but me and my parents are also considering the 1.6 Lancer GLS CVT.

I like the exterior and interior of the City. But comparatively, the city is much more expensive.

I have been looking here on the forums and know that i'll be getting a good buy whichever we choose. I just need some advice regarding the decision.

As I see it:
    City:
    Pros- beautiful and newer model. It also has ABS and EBD (I'm not sure if the lancer has abs too, it doesn't say so in the brochure)
    Cons- expensive and smaller

Lancer:
    Pros- much cheaper (only 698K), has a bigger engine, and is bigger
    Cons- It looks old and it is really an older model (the new lancer is out already)

Are there other things I should know that should factor into my decision?

Other things I want to ask:
    1) Is it really safer to drive a bigger car (Lancer) compared to a smaller car (City)?
    2) Are there many great body kits available for the Lancer CVT?

Sorry for the long post since i wanted to say the things in my mind in the first post. Thank you.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    1. Yes
    2. Since it's an "older" car, yes.

Medyo nagulat ako though that you asked about body kits. You're initially concerned about cost, features, and finding a good buy and then you mention that (a clear non-essential).

Assess your real needs then decide. Also, try to test drive both since you'll probably have the car for the next 5 years or so. Newer models aren't necessarily better ones; usually, cars with "older" looks that are still there up to now have usually polished out small quirks and eliminated problems with their units.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Ang worry ko lang sa Lancer is its durability. Honda City tested na and mataas nag regard ko sa Honda in terms of quality having a 10 year old Accord still being used as an office transport. Pero Mitsubishi Lancer after 3 years lang our old pizza Lancer had kalampag already. Pabalik-balik sa CASA to have the suspension repaired pero wala pa din. At ang bwisit nangyari lang after warranty has expired para bang may time bomb yung suspension... I ditched that Lancer and got another Honda, this time a Civic.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Lancer pa rin.

Take note kasi, ang Mitsubishi more on engines talaga sila so kung mas gusto mo yung mga looks, eh sa City ka na. Solid car ang lancer.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    1) Is it really safer to drive a bigger car (Lancer) compared to a smaller car (City)?
    Bigger is not always better, and in this case, the Lancer isn't that much bigger... maybe just 50-100 kilograms more, and most of that difference being in the width and engine block.

The 1998-2002 Lancer got a poor single star on EuroNCAP. The Cedia that followed was not tested in Europe, but got a 4-star rating from the NHTSA for frontal and just 2 stars for side impact...

The current Honda Fit/Jazz (which shares most of its substructure with the City), gets 5 stars on both EuroNCAP and NHTSA for frontal and offset. More than the older Lancer.

2) Are there many great body kits available for the Lancer CVT?
    Starbright should have them. One of the guys there has a Lancer. There are also Modulo kits and knock-offs available for the City, too.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by a9828 View Post
    1. Yes
    2. Since it's an "older" car, yes.

Medyo nagulat ako though that you asked about body kits. You're initially concerned about cost, features, and finding a good buy and then you mention that (a clear non-essential).

Assess your real needs then decide. Also, try to test drive both since you'll probably have the car for the next 5 years or so. Newer models aren't necessarily better ones; usually, cars with "older" looks that are still there up to now have usually polished out small quirks and eliminated problems with their units.
    My main concern is that I don't like the looks of the Lancer too much. My dad said that even if I install body kits to the Lancer, it will still be cheaper compared to the stock city. Thanks for the reply.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    A 2009 old body Lancer with their ugly extended bumpers even with bodykits IMHO will look ugly right next to a City 1.5E with the current Honda Jazz 1.5L's 16" mags.

hehehe just my 2 cents.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by p_borj View Post
    Lancer pa rin.

Take note kasi, ang Mitsubishi more on engines talaga sila so kung mas gusto mo yung mga looks, eh sa City ka na. Solid car ang lancer.
    Even the engines are not that powerful. 1.6L na pero feels slow compared to a Vios. The late 90's early 2000's Lancer really had bad reliability. The 80's siguro ok sila pero I won't take my chances with the old body Lancer. Maybe the EX but not the older body...

9. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by paologab View Post
    My main concern is that I don't like the looks of the Lancer too much. My dad said that even if I install body kits to the Lancer, it will still be cheaper compared to the stock city. Thanks for the reply.
    May sariling opinion ang bawat tao, well basta ako Lancer pa rin. It has the power (yung "upgraded" palang malakas na yung engine hindi pa yung EX ang sinasabi ko)

Pero kung mabigat na sa kalooban niyo yung Lancer, well then, go for the City na hehe, looks like your leaning on it already.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Ano ang specs ng "upgraded" Lancer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
City 1.5E or Lancer 1.6 GLS CVT