New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzokuken View Post

Oooh, another one for Ecoobost. Can you tell me more why its fun to drive it?

I can only go as high as 1m pag cash. Actually yung 1.2m through bank/installment is quite a stretch na nga for me.
    I drive a Fiesta Ecoboost and I use it daily. It may have a small engine (1L only) but it has a turbocharger. It offers as much power (or better) as most 1.6L engines but better torque at low rpm. Power-to-weight ratio is better than sub-compacts, even better than some compacts. It offers a zippy drive (0-100 kmh between 9-10 seconds), responsive steering, a stable body, and offers very good grip/handling on the road. Also, it's quite thrifty on gas specially on the highway (5L/100km). It is a bit cramped though (specially on the rear) and some Fiestas have encountered issues with its DCT (dual-clutch auto tranny). The DCT tranny issues may shun away prospective drivers but no other car at its price range can match how well it drives. The most fun I had with it was when I brought it to Nasugbu thru the curves and zigzags of Ternate-Nasugbu highway.

Since you can extend your budget to 1.2M, you might as well opt for the TOTL Mazda3 2.0R SkyActiv or the Ford Focus 2.0L Sport.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Actually, when I drove the Ecoboost, it felt closer to the performance of a 2.0 than a 1.6. So much torque and power in such a cutesy little car.

0-100 times are actually closer to a 2.0 than a 1.6:

Mazda 3 2.0R: ~9s
    Fiesta Ecoboost: ~9.5s
    Altis 1.6 CVT: ~10.5s
    Civic 1.8S: ~10.5s
    Mazda 3 1.5V: ~11.5s
    Cruze 1.8 LS: ~11.5s

Unfortunately, rear space is really nowhere near an Altis. On the other hand, handling is miles better than an Altis.

The Fiesta does have a very college-boy look though, as opposed to the more mature Altis/Mz3.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

3. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Kia Soul CRDi.

Hipster + power + frugality.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Tall, single guy? I'd go with the pickup, ride can't get any manlier than that. From the driver's seat, they're just as good as their SUV counterparts which are usually hundreds of thousands more expensive.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

5. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    My officemate is 6'1 and he drives a Suzuki swift.

6. Join Date
    May 2012
    Thanks guys, I have shortlisted my choices to 5, based on your posts and also on the feedback from friends and officemates:

-Monty
    -Mazda3
    -Innova
    -ASX
    -Altis

Not on the same level lol. So haaaardd

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Montero in White! It's perfect for a tall guy among your choices.

If you could afford an SUV, go for it!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    si pennisi nga eh isang mini car yun gamit. nakalimutan ko lang kung anong brand. nakita ko before sa TV. 6'10"-6'11" height niya

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Tall, single guy? I'd go with the pickup, ride can't get any manlier than that. From the driver's seat, they're just as good as their SUV counterparts which are usually hundreds of thousands more expensive.

Like maybe a blue or orange Ford Ranger, oks na oks!

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Medyo may problema ang Ranger ngayon eh. Personally, what with the hearsay of turbo and tranny limp mode problems, I'd stay away until all lemon issues are officially resolved.

For a basic truck with little issues I'd go with the Hilux or Strada. Absolutely no problems when it comes to parts and mechanic familiarity. As with any modern pickup worth its salt, both are sturdy workhorses with punchy engines (with some turbo lag) and excellent flood wading capabilities as proven during all the major typhoons occuring through the years both were available. However, a pickup plus canopy or bed cover and perhaps a wheel upgrade will probably end up costing the same as a base model Montero or MU-X...

I may be biased, but the Strada gets my vote (we already have one!). It holds the distinction of having the tightest turning radius, biggest backseat and most comfortable ride (not sure if all of these still apply), all of which are big priorities for the city dwelling pickup driver. Of course there are minor gripes like the plasticky interior, lack of grab handles, handbrake position at the far side of the center tunnel, undersized cupholders, ridiculously undersized wheels (for the 4x2 variant)...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast