New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    thanks guys! what about fuel milage? which is more fuel efficient?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    civic...for fuel efficiency

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    I own a corolla 97, okay naman pero type ko rin to own a Civic. Panoramic view pag drive mo ng civic, pag medyo kulang sa height, civic ka na lang. Ever noticed na pag may kakulangan sa height yung driver sa corolla, parang nalulunod?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    97 VTis are nice to drive. If everything has been somewhat well-maintained, the clutch, gearshift and steering feel should be well-on perfect. I've always been impressed with Honda ergonomics. You just plop down in the seat and it feels right, automatically. Fuel economy is great, and the drive is a lot more involving than the Corolla.

The Corolla is a dependable car, but voltscastillo is right... Honda engines are just something else. It takes a hell of a lot of punishment to destroy a stock Honda engine, and they're easily more durable than their Toyota counterparts.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Hmmmm. Hard choice if your picking between these 97s. They're both reliable rides, with good parts availability, and service shops able to handle these. The Corolla does have more safety features with ABS and driver airbag, but the design, though facelifted, is essentially a design released since 92. The Civic's design is newer being released in 96, but does not have those, now seemingly basic safety features, that the Corolla of the same year has.

Design wise, I think it would already be a matter of each individual's personal preference. You can't go wrong with any of the two. You can pick what calls out to your heart the most. Hehe. Good luck in your pick.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    It takes a hell of a lot of punishment to destroy a stock Honda engine, and they're easily more durable than their Toyota counterparts.
    Your comment on engines left me curious. Yes, Honda motors are great, but not necessarily more durable than Toyota. It's true that in the comparison here, the VTEC-clad Honda is a step ahead of the carried-over EFI Toyota, but being an owner of both cars, I have to say these are practically bulletproof.

If you don't mind, would you qualify your statement? Perhaps data or track records can be helpful to support your claim.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    While I've seen my share of blown sentras, lancers and corollas... I've never seen a blown honda... except on the drag strip. And even then, the good cooling and strong internals of honda blocks mean they can withstand overheating very well. Somewhat subjective, maybe, but its an observation many share with me.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    High revving engines have internals built to withstand more stress. Honda's D16, while not as revvy as the B16, is one of these. Of course, both the D16 and the 4AFE are very reliable, but the D16 has the edge in durability, power and efficiency. That's why the Civic initially costs more with less features... you're paying for the engine.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    yun ba corolla 97 same body as corolla 94 EFI? and I'm sure that the civic 97 vti is practically the same as civic 96 vti.

we've owned both. the corolla got totalled. the civic got carjacked.

I miss the civic most.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    really having hard time deciding which car to buy. More suggestions please!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Buying 2nd hand car Civic 97 or Corolla 97