New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Mga masters need advice lang po.

Ano po mas maganda at practical, BRAND NEW UNIT or SECOND HAND (2 years old-max) UNIT but cheaper by 200k to 250k.

second question po. alin po mas ok, CITY, ALTIS or TUCSON? ano po pros and cons?

TIA

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    we're on the same boat sir. my grandfather is thinking of buying a car sometime soon. the problem is he's contemplating on having a brand-new or a second-hand. but let me share with you what i also want to say to my lolo:

personally, i'm more inclined with a brand new car because it's almost worry-free. the only major cash-outs are regular change oils. one after the 1,000 km mark on the odometer, then on the 5,000 km mark, and then, every 5,000 kms succeeding marks. plus you are assured with a dealer warranty.

the reason why i have reservations against second-hand cars is because of hidden defects, the "Ondoy" aftermath, and if the unit will be covered with warranty. and also, you may get an aesthetically-sound second-hand car but there is no certainty as to when it will bug down. even when you have a mechanic beside you to help you choose your car, you still don't know how the previous owner used (and maybe abused) the car. second-hand cars may come cheaper but it could also be a money-pit.

kung may enough resources kayo, huwag niyo nang tipirin ang sarili niyo kasi baka ilang buwan lang, ang laki na ng ginagastos niyo sa talyer, matatalo kayo doon.

with regards to your 2nd question, the trend now is minimalism so it's better to get a subcompact (honda jazz, honda city, toyota vios, toyota yaris, hyundai accent, etc) than a compact (honda civic, toyota corolla altis, etc) because of the fluctuating fuel price and cost of ownership. kung titignan niyo nga po ang mga classified ads, try to compare also. mas mura ang price ngayon ng second-hand mid-size (honda accord, toyota camry, toyota corona, mitsubishi galant) kesa sa mga compact (honda civic, toyota corolla, mitsubishi lancer) na magkasing-age kasi mas marami pong gustong magdispose ng mas malaking kotse kesa magmaintain.

to end my statement, there are short-term outlook and long-term outlook with regards to owning a car. in the end, nasa inyo pa rin po ang judgment call sa magiging kotse niyo. happy car hunting po!
    Last edited by guigui; December 10th, 2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: addendum

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    First of all, it goes down to one thing when choosing between b/new and 2nd hand cars: BUDGET. If you got enough budget to buy a new one, either cash out or installment, go for it. B/new cars are definitely NEW in all aspects. Ang "cons" lang sa new ay ang depreciation value . . . that is if you're planning to sell it later. Irregardless ng brand, let's face it, mabilis bumaba ang value nito especially pag may newer model ng ilalabas. Isa pang cons, pano kung 'lemon" ang makuha mong model? Aray! Aside from this 2, wala na akong makitang negative.

But if you're gunning for a 2nd hand, extra ingat at mausisa sa pagkuha. Get a copy of its LTO docs para ma-verify if legit. Then if OK na papers, bring with you your own and trusted mechanic. Siguradong alam nya ang tell-tale signs ng nabaha at pasira ng unit.

The City, Altis, and Tucson are all good buys but in different categories. Para sa akin ay Tucson na lang kasi more space at pang-all around. OK na yung 2WD variant kasi mas praktikal.

I hope this helps. Goodluck!

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    salamat po sir guigui at jjmd.

Budget wise po definitely better yung 200k less. pero kaya naman po bumili brand new. got my approval already for the altis from a bank although syempre syang din ung matitipid na 200k - i guess it boils down to one questions, is 200k less for a 2 year 2nd hand an acceptable trade off to buying a brand new car?

sir jjmd:

I think i am also gunning for tucson. actually torn between altis v at tucson gl or gls since about 100k lang difference ng altis and tucson.

maintenance and fuel consumption wise po kaya which is practical altis or tucson?

5. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    nothing beats the feeling of owning of a brand new car. You only get one chance in life. sarap makatikim ng brand new. there are alot of deals thats very affordable.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Is this your primary car? Are you familiar with car troubleshooting? If Yes and No, then I suggest get a brand new car if budget permits.

If you know the previous owner of the car and medyo OC yung previous na owner, then I guess its a good choice for a 2nd hand car.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    sir imperialv, it will be my primary car. troubleshooting wala masyado hehe. thanks for the advice sir.

also been doing some research online and visits to dealership. so far im going for brand new and its between altis v or tucson, although waitlisted sa tucson until january to early february.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    sir mag bnew nalang po kau kaya naman pala ng budget. altis 2.0v sir mas sulit para saken.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    sir lui, mejo masyado na mahal ata sir. almost 200k more than the 1.6V. ung 2.0 wala naman substantial difference except for the engine.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by black0men View Post
    Mga masters need advice lang po.

Ano po mas maganda at practical, BRAND NEW UNIT or SECOND HAND (2 years old-max) UNIT but cheaper by 200k to 250k.

second question po. alin po mas ok, CITY, ALTIS or TUCSON? ano po pros and cons?

TIA
    Sarap ng feeling ng bago sasakyan ano.....kung kaya din lang ng budget doon ka na....

Parang sa Partner, ikaw nakauna.... jk.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Brand New or Second Hand Car