New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    just barely adequate, on a straight line the 316i will be blown away, but it is more stable at high speeds and has excellent handling and cornering. but handling is only half of it, you have to get to the corner first :D

2. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    we have on a 97 model with 35t on the odo so far very satisfied kami since nabili namin to brand new ! we get mga 8km/l sa car na to medyo mabagal nga lang talaga pero as they all say if you want to get to point a - b with style ok na to hehe pero pag slopy sections nga lang medyo taghirap kasi bigat ng kaha pero very stable on high speeds napaabot na namin ng 200kph to dati kahit na 180kph lang max nakalagay sa manual ......

mga naging sira lang samin is yung clutch na may nabali lang na plastic tpos aircon pero ayos na now and yung mga roofliner na carpet natatanggal pero pinagwa namin sa seatmate for 7.5 pati sidings and yung dampers sa hood na de na namin pinaayos pero sulit talaga to !

dati naka 17s na e36 m3 mags to tpos hnr race springs white front side and tailights lang sobra lakas na ng dating e

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Maintenance cost is not that high pero suggestion ko lang na magtabi ka ng mga 20k to 30k for maintenance work after you get the car and that depends on the quality of the car you got. I get 9 to 10km/L and i use it as an every day car. mabagal sa arangkada but once you get over 100kmh on 4th gear then medyo makakahataw ka na on the 5th. Kung stock yun rims nung makukuha mo then look at spending for new rims din kasi di maganda yun stock rims ng bmw na basket weave. Yun 95 and below model naka cloth seats lang din so gastos ka pa if you want leather seat covers. if you want more info abt bmws, go to www.bimmerforums.com. I've always driven jap cars before i got the bmw and iba talaga yun experience.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by seonadancing
    I've always driven jap cars before i got the bmw and iba talaga yun experience.
    could you expound on this?
    thanks!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by dx8976
    could you expound on this?
    thanks!
    It's the feel. ;) Solid and inspires confidence... until you get the repair bill and you don't know where to source the parts and service.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by dx8976
    how would power of the 316 compare to the japanese 16s, say, 95 corolla, civic, etc?
    The 1.6, 8-valve 316i only has over 100 hp. This engine also has the job of hauling a body much heavier than your usual Corolla or Civic. Obviously, this car will be beaten at the strip, probably even by Lancers or Sentras that are likewise 16-valvers.

However, the latest E36 316i got a new engine. It's a 1.8-liter, 16-valve with around 115 hp. This should be a better bet against the 1.6-liter Japs. BMW also promised better economy, if not the same, on account of VANOS and their own version of VTEC.

As for the buyer, this E36 somehow slots in between the 6-cylinder power of the 320i and the economy of the 8-valve 316i. If your budget is enough, this car will serve you very well.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by squala
    However, the latest E36 316i got a new engine. It's a 1.8-liter, 16-valve with around 115 hp. This should be a better bet against the 1.6-liter Japs. BMW also promised better economy, if not the same, on account of VANOS and their own version of VTEC.
    Are you sure?

IIRC, the only instance an E36 316 got an engine bigger than 1.6 liters is on the E36 316i Compact ... and it has a 1.9li engine. The 1.8 liter engines went to equip the E36 318's and E34 518's.

One sure thing about the VANOS - it never was available to any 4 cylinder engine fitted to any E36. So if the engine is an M40, M42, M43 or M44 (316 or 318), it is non-VANOS ... only on some 320's and above.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Have you ever had that feeling that you miss driving your jap car after you've left it in the garage for a day? I don't. Meron kasi kami dalawang corolla e. But when i bought the BMW ganun yun na fefeel ko. Parang gusto ko sya i-drive araw araw, and it's not even a new car. Driving is no longer a commute but more of a a joyful experience. You won't regret buying one unless you end up with a lemon with lots of repairs needed, so check mo mabuti yun car and wag ka gagaya sa akin hehe.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    For local garage services and parts sourcing, the guys at BMW Car Club of the Philippines should be able to give the best help and advice. If you're a DIY person, there's plenty of materials on the internet ... service manual, parts catalog , kit fitting instructions, wiring diagrams, diagnostics tools and softwares, DIY tips, etc. Some are free, and some aren't.

The E36 being an old car, maintenance costs will vary as with any other used car. Watch out for cooling issues, like the infamous water pump. And since the 316 has a 4 pot, it still uses a timing belt ... the inline 6's use a timing chain which should last as long as the engine. A service maintenance checklist is available here, so you'll have an idea what to expect. The type of service needed will be displayed on the instrument panel at intervals.

*seonadancing - I'm sure a lot of bimmer drivers know how you feel. As for me, I still love my Jap car - for the grocery and school runs
    Last edited by StraightSix; February 11th, 2006 at 09:14 AM.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    When i go back to driving our corolla parang ang gaan gaan ng kotse, sarap pa din drive Advisable na may back up car ka when you buy an old BMW unless you're a DIY kinda guy. My car have seen the car repair shop a lot. Mostly maintenance work.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
BMW 316i ok ba ito?