New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hi folks, once again i'm seeking for your expert feedback on which is the better buy among the 2 models mentioned above. one is a bmw 2007 520d (diesel) with 45k mileage priced at 1.8m and the other is a 2005 525i (gas) with 55k mileage priced at 1.7m.

my first concern is the turbo for the diesel, i was told that it breaks down upon 4yrs or so of usage. how expensive is this? and what are the chances of it happening with normal wear?

how about the resale value in case i decide to resell 2yrs from now, which will fetch a higher value?

which is easier to maintain in general? is there a huge discrepancy bet their fuel consumptions? how's the ride of the diesel? is it just as comfortable and quiet as the gas?

pls note that i dont race, my driver will take the driver's seat so speed is not the main concern. thanks so much for your help, hope i get as much input as possible! =)

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I suggest you get the 520d. Its newer, thriftier and fast. I'm not sure as to how the two will perform against each other in a race but the difference shouldn't be very much but with the 520d consuming, say, half the amount of gas the 525i consumed in the process. As for the ride, AFAIK the only difference is the engine and so it should be the same. As for the turbo, I'm sure its still depending on how you use and maintain the car. It definitely won't break down in four years, unless you really wanted it to. And being a BMW, high quality in every bolt, nut and screw is certainly expected.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    thanks bro! will take note of this. so even with the 520d (smaller engine), the torque n speed are both alright? Im worried i might have a hard time selling later on if people prefer the faster 530d. thanks again!

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    In typical diesel fashion, the 520d has 90Nm more torque and 55 less hp as compared to the gasoline 525i. But then, its understandable since it also has 500cc less in terms of engine displacement and the 520i actually makes less power. And then again, the Italian ambassador to the Philippines uses a black 520d, while the ambassador of Chile uses the 525i. Saw them when I was in UST during their 400 year anniversary celebration. About selling, I'm sure there are lots of people who aspire to own a great 5 series diesel but couldn't afford the high price of the 530d so selling shouldn't be a problem as long as the car is in good condition. But then again, if you have the moolah to get the 530d, why not? It is still thriftier than the 525i and is far more powerful too. :devil:

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My vote goes to the diesel.

Just follow the basics of prolonging the life of a turbo engine like using the proper oils, and instructing the driver to cool the engine down before shutting it off.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    waah i'm not good with technical terms, but i totally agree with the consumption difference as that's what others told me too. thanks guys, now im leaning towards the diesel.

there's a 530d being offered at 1.8m. not bad but mileage is at 75k for a 2004 car. owner spent 300k for new turbo and others that needed to be changed. im wary of the mileage honestly

7. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    You may want to watch this video.
    They compared a 4liter gas and a 530d diesel bimmer. You may see some differences with the cars.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU4f_NwAfUs"]YouTube - Top Gear BMW 5 Series Diesel vs. Petrol[/ame]

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Aren't there any other newer units? Or are you not willing to spend more? IMHO, if the 530d is well cared for and the owner has already replaced all the defective parts, then I'm fine with it. 75t kms on the clock is pretty reasonable for a close to 7 year old car. In fact, they run pretty much the same per year as compared to the 520d. And of course, the performance is entirely different being a 3.0L 6 cylinder diesel. And then there's the sense of pride and superiority of having the most power on the road. Though the 520d is good, nowadays the Hyundai Tucson 2.0ReVGT makes more power...

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    are you even ready owning a bmw ?

maintenance is high.

parts cost are high.

gas prices are high.

everything is almost high.

-

anyways going back, i'd pick the diesel. more torque means its faster in terms of acceleration.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Basta BMW, lahat high

Pero status symbol naman.

520D for me. Hanap ka nalang gn surplus projector headlights.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
bmw 2007 520d vs bmw 2005 525i . buying this week help! =)