New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Good brief comparison in the latest EVO mag. I think the B200 pricing is the key here. If it is too high, it will likely sell limited numbers. The brand is strong but so is BMW.

I have seen both cars close up but not driven any of them. The B200 from the cockpit and steering wheel is impressive Mercedes design from its higher models. Interior space is bigger than one expects, rear hatch does have decent size compared to BMW 1.

For those looking for luxury, comfort in a small well branded package, this is it!. Just don't expect it to perform like a BMW, its a Mercedes after all.

BMW stresses driving dynamics too much in the 1-series. Its size and impractical nature is its short-fall and so are those run-flat tires. The fact that it is rear wheel drive may not matter much to its target market. I heard of plenty of complaints of stiff ride and having sat in an E46 M Sport, I think I got a feeling about what that complain is. The Merc will not have any of that as its design intend has always been comfort and luxury, above all else.

Perfect for the wife as she feels intimidated by my pair of 5-series E34

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    here is the quote sent to me from CATS:

B170 P1.985M
    B200 P2.390M

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    BMW goes out of the norm by creating the only rear-drive entry in its category. It's great fun, but things like ride, space and styling are beaten by the others such as the very impressive Golf. The Benz B should be a much better lounger as the company is known for.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2004

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    It appears to be an attempt to use the Mercedes name and some slick marketing to dress up a rather underwhelming mid-sized MPV into something it is not and charge a fortune for it. I didn’t fall for it and nor, I suggest, should you.
    And it’s why I’m choosing the words for my conclusion with even more care than usual. So here goes. The 1-series is crap.
    I often begin to think that having more disposable income makes some people less astute about their purchases.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Some people are only concerned with the badge and little else. One day you'll be at a party and you'll talk to someone with a M5. He'd say he drives a BMW and you'd say "I also drive a BMW (1 Series)". This is just me but that isnt the same...

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Classic pricing for Benz here!. Thanks Hero for the price post!.
    Smack above the 1-series approching the E90 320 which is a very nice car indeed. Except for those confounded "RunFlat" tires!.

Actually, a BMW is a BMW, M or otherwise. It has all the dynamic qualities up to its power limit or traction limit which ever comes first. You need to own one to really tell the difference. And if you actually track (go to track days), you will certainly get the most out of it. When I drive Volvos, Audis or Mercedes, it is so different. Even driving X3 or X5 makes me long for the 5-series sedan.

I own two and track one of them for almost 2 years, so at least I have expereinced it myself. One has to be a professional driver to get the most out of an M-car, most of us are not, nor do we ever wanted to be or could be for that matter.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Actually, you will find that your friends and relatives choose cars based on very different values/priorities/needs/wants etc. There is no right or wrong but what makes the ultimate owner of the car happy. Thats it.
    What is good value to one may not be good value to another. So, sometimes, its really pointless to compare. I think Auto magazines aim are, to give the reader more information to make the choice easier. This may not be the end result, as sometimes it does confuse people as well!. "Backfiring syndrome".

So back to my original intend of this post. If pricing were similar. And we see that its close enough. Then priorities: easy to drive, comfort ride, good space utility. One just wins over the other in this 3 areas alone. Simple as that.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    E34, if those run-flats are the same as the mini cooper's, then i agree that you've found your culprit...they suck! i understand the reason for having them (i assume it's because these cars are too small to store a spare), but there's your big drawback.

i have trouble imagining how bmw was able to make such a small car a rear-driver...wouldn't the drivetrain intrude into the passenger compartment way too much??

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    People generally buy hatches because they're cheap to buy and maintain. It's also much wiser to buy bigger, more powerful cars than a 1-Series or B-Class. Personally, I'd pick a Focus or Golf over these two anytime.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
BMW 120i vs Merc B200!