New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2020
    So, my original plan was to buy a truck and luckily me and my wife re-computed the budget and with the current low rates being offered I think we will be able to stretch out the budget to afford the chosen SUVs.

Now I'd like your help again in choosing which we SUV/AUV we should get.

Ride Quality - I have only test driven the Forester and I think it should easily be the best ride quality compared to the Montero and Fortuner. I have a scheduled test drive tomorrow for the Montero Sport.
    Safety - On paper, Forester still tops the other two.
    Space - Without the seating capacity issue, Forester is spacious compared with the other two. But 7-seating capacity is a huge plus.
    Reliability & Maintenance Cost - I think this one the Fortuner is the winner, not sure how by much the Montero falls behind. Certainly the Forester is the most costly to maintain and less reliable among the 3 (I think).

Please let me have your inputs.
    Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dplgngr View Post
    So, my original plan was to buy a truck and luckily me and my wife re-computed the budget and with the current low rates being offered I think we will be able to stretch out the budget to afford the chosen SUVs.

Ride Quality - I have only test driven the Forester and I think it should easily be the best ride quality compared to the Montero and Fortuner. I have a scheduled test drive tomorrow for the Montero Sport.
    Space - Without the seating capacity issue, Forester is spacious compared with the other two. But 7-seating capacity is a huge plus.
    Reliability & Maintenance Cost - I think this one the Fortuner is the winner, not sure how by much the Montero falls behind. Certainly the Forester is the most costly to maintain and less reliable among the 3 (I think).

Thanks!
    Being pickup based, I'd assume the suspension components for the Fort/Montero will absorb more punishment than that of the Forester.

You are right that the Forester will easily ride the best among these choices.

Additional contender: CRV? Test driven one and it drives like a midsize sedan. RAV4? The midspec seems nice din.
    Last edited by mda; March 11th, 2020 at 09:13 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Being pickup based, I'd assume the suspension components for the Fort/Montero will absorb more punishment than that of the Forester.

You are right that the Forester will easily ride the best among these choices.

Additional contender: CRV? Test driven one and it drives like a midsize sedan. RAV4? The midspec seems nice din.
    One of the hassles of owning a car is changing tires, and the CRV takes it to the next level. haha!

On a more serious note, Forester is more capable than CRV and RAV4 hence I did not include them anymore. CRV S Diesel 9AT might be a dark horse but yeah tire change.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    The montero beats the fortuner with... better ride, more power, full set of airbags, stability control and brake assist. And zix performance support.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The Forester comes standard as AWD and will drive better than either Fort or Monty. Despite its smaller displacement gas engine, its straight line performance will be about the same as the Monty (better power to weight ratio, better grip).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    The Forester comes standard as AWD and will drive better than either Fort or Monty. Despite its smaller displacement gas engine, its straight line performance will be about the same as the Monty (better power to weight ratio, better grip).

Definitely faster! To depreciate...

7. Join Date
    Nov 2019

Thanks!
    Pwd ma share boss magkano rates nakuha nyo and from what bank?

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    One of the hassles of owning a car is changing tires, and the CRV takes it to the next level. haha!

On a more serious note, Forester is more capable than CRV and RAV4 hence I did not include them anymore. CRV S Diesel 9AT might be a dark horse but yeah tire change.
    Not sure I understand what it is about changing tires.

Forester is more 'capable' than the 4x2 RAV and CRV in terms of navigating through mud and stuff.

But I'm guessing the GT 4x2 and the Fortuner V 4x2 will also suffer same as the CRV and RAV.

I'm thinking you're not sure din what your buying priorities are UNLESS when you mention the Montero GT and the Fortuner V you mean the 4x4 variants.

If you're looking at capability -- you should be comparing the 4x4 and AWD variants.
    Last edited by mda; March 12th, 2020 at 12:56 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    The montero beats the fortuner with... better ride, more power, full set of airbags, stability control and brake assist. And zix performance support.
    What about zix performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Kakatapos ko lang mag test drive ng Montero and parang mag-aagree ako sa sinabi mo. So far, sa mga na test drive ko yung Navara talaga ang napaka ganda ng acceleration and shifting.

Quote Originally Posted by carxynogen View Post
    Pwd ma share boss magkano rates nakuha nyo and from what bank?
    For 60 months, 25.8% straight pero kung mag advance ka ng 1month 24.86%. Sabi pwede pa mas lower rate pag nakapag decide na talaga at kausapin nalang ang Account Manager direkta.

Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Not sure I understand what it is about changing tires.

Forester is more 'capable' than the 4x2 RAV and CRV in terms of navigating through mud and stuff.

But I'm guessing the GT 4x2 and the Fortuner V 4x2 will also suffer same as the CRV and RAV.

I'm thinking you're not sure din what your buying priorities are UNLESS when you mention the Montero GT and the Fortuner V you mean the 4x4 variants.

If you're looking at capability -- you should be comparing the 4x4 and AWD variants.
    Getting the spare tire out takes extra effort and steps on a CRV.

I'm only considering 4x2 variants because I'm mostly gonna drive it on the city 80% of the time. Extra 2-seats is a plus for long travels so I could seat 5 adults and 2 children at the back. But then again long drives will just be around 5-10% of the time.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006

Kakatapos ko lang mag test drive ng Montero and parang mag-aagree ako sa sinabi mo. So far, sa mga na test drive ko yung Navara talaga ang napaka ganda ng acceleration and shifting.

I'm only considering 4x2 variants because I'm mostly gonna drive it on the city 80% of the time. Extra 2-seats is a plus for long travels so I could seat 5 adults and 2 children at the back. But then again long drives will just be around 5-10% of the time.
    If only Subaru still offers the Forester XT, that Navara will feel sluggish and slow against Subaru's boxy, wolf-in-sheep-clothing compact crossover. Subaru only offer AWD sedans, crossovers, and SUVs. If you want a non-AWD Subaru, your only option is the BRZ.

Subaru will be offering soon the Evoltis locally. This is the same as the USDM Ascent - Subaru's 7-seat, 3-row crossover powered by a 2.4L turbo engine. Subaru might also bring the Outback XT with the same engine as the Ascent. The Ascent and the Outback XT has respectable performance, much like the Forester XT.

Subaru Ascent

Subaru Outback
    Last edited by Egan101; March 12th, 2020 at 03:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast