New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Hi All,

I would like to ask everybody's opinion which is the best car for the budget that's below P600k.
    The obvious choices are (after looking at the prices online):

> Picanto 2011 1.2 M/T
    > Chevy Spark 2011 1.2 M/T
    > Hyundai i10 1.1 M/T
    > Hyundai Accent M/T 1.4
    > Any car I missed in this category

Preferences are:
    > MT(obviously)
    > Low maintenance (planning to maintain via CASA)/ warranty
    > Power amenities are a must. (Windows, Locks, etc)
    > Stock audio should at least have Aux-in
    > Stock should have alloy mags
    > Potential for customization

**Though I am a big guy (5'10" 250lbs) I really don't have problems with small cars since I am coming from a Getz. Also, I don't have a family so, no biggie if space at the back could be cramped, as long as I am not in front. Lastly, which brand/dealer have the best deal/ freebies?

Thanks for your input folks!

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    Toyota Vios 1.3 J - 595,000 with discounts of 15K or more.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    If you don't mind the "old look" you can check out the Sentra N16. Your 600k will still have change for customizations.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Accent na. Most cars in this class have steel rims and this is no exception, but it does have aux-in and power amenities. The wheels should be a no brainer since you can get pretty cheap ones for trade in anywhere. And then its the most powerful and most spacious among your choices.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Vios J is your best bet in this price range. The Accent has engine knocking issues. Haba pa ng pila...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    although not might be considered "best"...

LIFAN 320i

For a cheap car, it got 1.3L efi engine, two airbags and abs brakes. Even alloy wheels.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The only reason to get a Vios over an Accent 1.4 is the possible difference in fuel economy.

They both have pretty soft suspensions... Hell, I've seen brand new Vioses squatting to the ground with five on-board (dealer plates pa!) while the biggest complaint with the Accent is bottoming out over humps, but the Accent has better steering, a better shifter, better plastics, a bigger trunk, a much bigger interior (even compared to discount "compacts" like the Sentra, it will surprise you...) and more power. Simple no-brainer there. But still... I really hate the soft suspension. O-sulee supposedly fixes that, but I have yet to try it.

If you like them cute and cuddly, the Picanto has the most quality feel amongst superminis, with the i10 close behind (though the plastics aren't as nice and space is smaller) while the Celerio gives the best economy, though the smallest back seat. The Spark 1.0 MT is pretty decent, great legroom and it is more supple than the Picanto and i10 (close to the Getz, the Pica and i10 are rather stiff), but the shifter isn't great and the rear windows aren't powered.

None of the mini hatches have power mirrors, but you can reach the right side mirrors with your seatbelt on... Since you're 5'10", you probably won't even have to lean over. Alloys, you can ply get with the top-of-the-line models, but most of those are AT, except the Spark... But I'd rather get the 1.0 Spark over the 1.2.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The only reason to get a Vios over an Accent 1.4 is the possible difference in fuel economy.

They both have pretty soft suspensions... Hell, I've seen brand new Vioses squatting to the ground with five on-board (dealer plates pa!) while the biggest complaint with the Accent is bottoming out over humps, but the Accent has better steering, a better shifter, better plastics, a bigger trunk, a much bigger interior (even compared to discount "compacts" like the Sentra, it will surprise you...) and more power. Simple no-brainer there. But still... I really hate the soft suspension. O-sulee supposedly fixes that, but I have yet to try it.

If you like them cute and cuddly, the Picanto has the most quality feel amongst superminis, with the i10 close behind (though the plastics aren't as nice and space is smaller) while the Celerio gives the best economy, though the smallest back seat. The Spark 1.0 MT is pretty decent, great legroom and it is more supple than the Picanto and i10 (close to the Getz, the Pica and i10 are rather stiff), but the shifter isn't great and the rear windows aren't powered.

None of the mini hatches have power mirrors, but you can reach the right side mirrors with your seatbelt on... Since you're 5'10", you probably won't even have to lean over. Alloys, you can ply get with the top-of-the-line models, but most of those are AT, except the Spark... But I'd rather get the 1.0 Spark over the 1.2.
    Agree ako sa Vios. It really is cramped, having had the opportunity to drive one and also ride in the backseat of one before. At siguro hindi rin magiging maganda ang gas mileage ng Vios 1.3 if driven hard to reach the performance level of the Accent. And since you described the suspensions of both the Vios and Accent as "soft", and the Vios has been in cab service for so many years already. I suppose that level of softness is acceptable enough. But is the Accent's infamous engine knocking issue really such a big deal that it is something that is supposed to deter people from buying it? After all, it is still flying off showroom floors at record speed even after this issue has been found out. On a side note, so far I have seen one 1.4GL Accent cab. And even in cab livery, it actually still does look pretty good!

Now, being 5"11 myself, I would suggest against getting cars below the subcompact class. In order to get an acceptable driving position, I suppose you'd be sliding the driver's seat all the way back, reclining the seatback a good bit and... But if you should insist in getting something from this class, I'd suggest the Picanto. The new one really looks quite good with Peter Schreyer waving his magic over it. Really hope it drives as good as it looks.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Thank you all for your quick and honest replies.
    Props for Niky, always worth reading your replies in any thread I visit.

It looks like Accent is still in the lead. The only thing that deters me from really lining up are the numerous complains about the knocking issue and soft suspension. Is Hyundai close to really fixing this issue? If I opt not to buy a car until early next year do you think that's sufficient time to have them fix the issue? Lastly, how much time would it take if I line up for the M/T hehe.

Coming from a small car and not used to really having people at the back, I have a soft spot for minis. Design wise (exterior and interior) so far I like the Chevy Spark, heck my old car (Getz '08 was named Sparky, lol). Since the 1.0 MT (as per Niky and some reviewers out there as well says its the better option) has a huge price discount (518k vs 568k), I'd like to know, apart from the displacement and alloy wheels, is there any other difference at all?

Keep the suggestions and opinions flowing please.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    But I'd rather get the 1.0 Spark over the 1.2.
    Same here after test driving the all of the Chevy Spark variants from the 1.0L MT, 1.0L AT and the 1.2L MT. My best preferred variant is the 1.0L AT simply because it's most comfortable to drive. You might want the 1.0 MT so you can maximize whatever hp you've got, but you've not got much so let the AT shift gears for you instead.

Why the Spark 1.0 instead of the 1.2? Weirdly the power curve of the 1.2L engine peaks at two points with a big flat area in the middle range of the RPM curve. The result is a massive dead spot of power in the middle of the rpm range. Only pushing to the redline would you get more power. For a driver, it can be frustrating to drive. The 1.0L engine provides a more linear power curve even if the maximum HP is lower.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Best Entry Level Car not exceeding P600k