New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    naisip ko lang bigla to. pwedeng pick-up or suv. ano yung pinaka-maganda isabak sa baha?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Water fording requires a good driver 1st. Hindi yung old school mali style na apakan ang clutch habang nasa tubig and rev the engine to hell until makatawid ka. And you must know your car, where the air intake is located, if there are any weak points, etc.

On top of my head, naisip ko yung Foton Blizzard, Land Cruiser 80 series, Suzuki Samurai, Pajero Field master or earlier, etc. Almost all of them have no computers and are built on simple designs.

I've forded water with bow wave up to the headlamps in a Pajero 95 and Patrol '00

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    During the time of ondoy, I watched vehicles who tried to cross the flood near our area san lorenzo-enchanted kingdom road (main road going to enchanted kingdom from our village), only few tried to cross it because it was a little bit high and has a current perpendicular to your car because of the river at the sides.

The vehicles were:
    Nissan Frontier 2.7E
    Isuzu Hi lander (This is not ours )
    Suzuki APV,

Nissan Frontier made it but the driver shut off the engine at the middle of the flood and have the 'tambays' push the vehicle. At the end(no flood area), he had a hard time starting his vehicle, but after 2 tries in starting his vehicle, it started! And then revving it.

Hi lander, well the hi lander made it through with out the help of the 'tambays' that will push your vehicle, no bias here.

APV, the apv didnt make it through, because it was too obvious that he wont make it.

Here are some of those pictures,

The Hilander here was not the one.

I dont have the photo of the hi lander, because that time my cellphone got low-battery.

Crosswind with big tires maybe a good baha vehicle,
    Nissan Frontier as well,
    and fuego i think.
    patrols and pajeros are good too.
    Last edited by digitel; January 8th, 2011 at 03:05 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
    naisip ko lang bigla to. pwedeng pick-up or suv. ano yung pinaka-maganda isabak sa baha?
    Any big size SUV (Montero, LC/Prado, Patrol/Murano, Everest/Expedition), pickup or truck. Medyo modify mo unti. Some tips;

1. Lift mo. I drove over 36 inches of flood water (from one end to another end of a street) several times. Lifted truck by 3". Deepest I went was around 40" for a short time (maybe 5 seconds). Post Ondoy.

2. Nitro tires. Fill tires with nitro. Being heavier than air your car will not float. Scary to see cars floating from waves/ripples you make as you pass by.

3. Sealed. Make sure everything is sealed beneath (doors mo ok rubber seals). Also know where your ECU or computer box is. Have the car underchassis rubber coated. 2-3 coats would be safe.

Unfortunately no matter how ready you should know only how deep your car can run without stalling. Safely my truck can go through anything less than 30". And after such a trip, I check undercoat and grease everything down there.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    The best tip is still to avoid flooding if you can. I'd rather be late on a meeting and park the car on an elevated platform (sidewalks, ramps, etc.) or find a non-flooded area rather than risking it.

Kahit ano gawin mo, kung baha talaga, kawawa kotse mo. I've seen a completely submerged Ford Expedition 2004 at the middle of Ondoy's fury and I figured that rather than trying to risk it, "dyan ka muna sa taas tapos swimming muna ako "

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Is Land Rover still in the Philippines????????

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Among the brand new vehicles, I'd pick the Ford Ranger/Everest. Heard that these have waterproof computer boxes. And then there's the Toyota Innova. Harmless as it may seem to be, I've seen an Innova D4D successfully cross our area (Retiro/D.Tuazon/Malaya area) where the flood waters can get very scary. Even while inside the house, I can hear the driver revving the engine to the max. It was THAT loud! At that time the water has already covered the Innova's headlights! In our area, when the rains are severe, the floods are dreadful enough to cause Nissan Safaris to float as I have seen once.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Mali yun reving high when fording flooded streets. Rev the engine just enough for you to move forward on low gear. on a gasoline engine, reving high would just suck and splash water into your engine bay. and no, reving high is not to keep the water from entering your muffler. Ive been in many situations wherein it's ok to just idle even if the muffler is already submerged. Like what Doc Otep said. the best here a re old school diesel engines with less or no engine management electronics.

[IMG][/IMG]

The picture above courtesy of PajeroKid shows, or rather, hides the muffler hehehehe...Engine still running at idle. I just couldn't get out to the river because my HT tires are just slipping.

The second photo courtesy of Cindy shows me in a Patrol crossing a river with the bed full of algae, feathering the throttle just enough to move forward but not too much for the tires to dig in and get the vehicle stuck.

BASTA WHEN IN DOUBT, DON"T.
    Last edited by afrasay; January 8th, 2011 at 06:58 PM.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    How about 2001 Toyota Hilux Dsl with a Snorkel?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ6Z29wHGLw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ6Z29wHGLw[/ame]

And for a good laugh, a corolla altis floating in a flooded street...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok5nnV2cUXk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok5nnV2cUXk[/ame]

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Old school diesel pickups.......maganda if lifted, with big AT tires, and with snorkel, etc..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Best "baha" vehicle?