New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Hi guys, Need your sound advice again. Another buddy of mine is ecstatic on getting his own ride. This is a more narrowed down choice since he's looking at pickups only. This would also be his first time owning and buying a car, and wants one with flood wading capabilities, thus the pickup, a bit straight forward maintenance, efficiency is good and comfortable for a truck. I've talked him into SUVs, about how pickups will be worse on parking lots and on maneuvering on two way streets but looks like he's decided; we have a wildcard at hand though. Budget is maxed out at 1.5m .

I'd like to ask for some input on how the different brands stack up on maintenance against each other since the contenders on the list don't seem to be too far off each other in terms of price. Correct me if I am wrong =)

I'm not really familiar with diesel engines and their maintenance since I've never owned one so I turned here. We've talked and did some reading and narrowed it down to these candidates. Ranger's out of the picture due to bad feedback, but feel free to justify otherwise.

1. New Strada - More practical due to same old jurrasic engine. Should he be mindful of the engine since new Monteros are belching black smoke?

2. New Navarra - Looking at the brochure, it's impressive, but how's Nissan after sales? I'm also not keen on suggesting this truck since this carries a VGT now, and my friend will be basically a guinea pig if he hops on the line first.

3. Hilux - A new one is coming soon it seems? Personally, I'm not a fan of the Hilux; I like the Fortuner but can't seem to justify recommending this since it just feels like buying an electric fan. No offense owners, this is a no non sense truck but this really isn't something enticing to drive to and from office.

4. Chevy Colorado - I don't know anyone who personally owns a Chevy. How's the maintenance?

Wildcard : Isuzu MU-X - I guess this is the choice if he doesn't end up liking any of the pickups. The sticker price is inviting and looks are inviting.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by Calistro; March 2nd, 2015 at 12:13 AM.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I've been there, done that with the whole bachelor with a pickup as a daily drive thing. It was very sensible in the province, but in Manila, not so much. You're right about the parking concerns, but also, you're buying a 5 meter truck that'll function like a car without a trunk. Even if you get a rear roller lid, it's still prone to leaking during heavy rains. I only got to use my cargo bed when I went out of town with my family, and when I brought my bike to trails. An SUV is really more sensible because of its more manageable heft, and increased versatility.

In any case, if I were to get a pickup again, it'll definitely be the new Hilux. The current one is tough-as-nails, and coming from a Ranger that's fitted with a hit-or-miss turbo, durability is a major concern. The Hilux also has better handling than the floaty Strada - yes it's stiff as a rock, but I prefer that over the Strada's overly soft suspension that bounces up and down all the time. I'm not sure how the new models will stack up though, perhaps both will have improved rides.

Also, even if they don't change the Hilux's engine, it's still good enough IMO. The VNT engine generates good low-end torque which allows for easy overtaking from 60-120 kph, and it has enough top-end grunt to take you to 170. The 3.0 has even more linear performance (hardly any turbo lag). Not as peaky as the others, but it's torquey where it counts.

If I were in his shoes though, I'd definitely get a CX-5 or Forester instead.
    Last edited by jut703; March 2nd, 2015 at 01:25 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Im with juts. I dont like driving boats(5m pickups)

4. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Pick-ups are useless if you aren't hauling anything constantly. Even then, suvs can do the job without the worry of things getting stolen or wet.

The Mux is a good choice. Fairly reliable and has the best-in-class fuel economy. I especially like the leather seats on the entry level automatic, only one with it in the price range, the fortuner V has but its another 100 grand more. The hideous chrome front grille can be remedied.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005

So, you're a bachelor,- and you want a pickup?

Get a "raincoat" and put it over your !tchy "flatbedsore"... It's bound to "leak", some time, whatever you do...

BTT: Unless you have a regular use for the pickup,- get an SUV. Looks like your budget can afford it.

"The measure of a man is what he does with power" LJIOHF!

25.8K:shazam:

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    1. I wouldn't call the Strada's engine jurassic and to me the smoke just looks like it's running rich on fuel when at full load. Which is normal for all makes. What concerns me is the smoke at part load or idle. Doesn't look like it affects durability though. But expect the new one to be slower than the older model with the bigger dimensions.

2. VGT is nothing new for the Navara. The old D40 has VGT already. True the new model has a different turbo and is untested, but with the electronic actuator it should last longer than the older model. After sales - befriending your dealership staff helps. Good thing about Nissan: practically no queue during PMS.

3. Hilux is bulletproof, resale and Toyota has good service (most dealerships) but I doubt if even the new model will be comfortable. Of all the current pickups the Hilux has the roughest ride. Service - expect to wait, sobrang daming nagpapagawa lagi. Engine is old (so is the a/t) but it pulls well and gets the job done and the gearing is good for everyday city driving.

Personally I agree with everyone, if I don't need to haul stuff regularly I'd get a crossover or SUV.
    Last edited by Wh1stl3r; March 2nd, 2015 at 05:23 PM.

7. Join Date
    May 2014
    OT: have to chuckle while reading this.

Does this bachelor needs to run over stuffs? Because thats near the top of the list of the reason why the overly man mens are buying pickup trucks.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    OT din. I remembered when pia guanio was still starting her showbiz career in abs. yung trunk ng car nyang ford F150 ay punong puno ng stuff coz she lives in paranaque. literally halos dala nya na ang buong bahay nya.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Agreed, pickups are not good choice for daily driver.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    I have a Ranger as a daily driver and all i can say is driving a pickup truck in the city is not a walk in the park as you might think. (esp if you're used to driving smaller cars) Maneuvering through small urban roads and tight parking spaces will take some time to get used to. But it seems his heart wants a pickup tho, so for that price range the new Navara TOTL would seem alright for him since it looks good, it's well-equipped, and it's not as big as a Ranger so it'd probably be less of a headache to park. Haven't driven one yet tho so i can't comment on that.

If he's willing to wait tho, the new facelifted Ranger would actually be also be an attractive proposition since it has a better interior and infotainment system and most probably the issues found on the current T6 Ranger will be fixed on the facelifted one.

If i were him tho, with 1.5M i'd probably wait for the new Everest to come out. Aside from the macho looks, an SUV will definitely be more versatile (if he doesn't need to use the pickup bed often) and a bit easier to drive than a pickup.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have a Ranger as a daily driver and all i can say is driving a pickup truck in the city is not a walk in the park as you might think. (esp if you're used to driving smaller cars) Maneuvering through small urban roads and tight parking spaces will take some time to get used to. But it seems his heart wants a pickup tho, so for that price range the new Navara TOTL would seem alright for him since it looks good, it's well-equipped, and it's not as big as a Ranger so it'd probably be less of a headache to park. Haven't driven one yet tho so i can't comment on how it drives.

If he's willing to wait tho, the new facelifted Ranger would actually be also be an attractive proposition since it has a better interior and infotainment system and most probably the issues found on the current T6 Ranger will be fixed on the facelifted one.

If i were him tho, with 1.5M i'd probably wait for the new Everest to come out. Aside from the macho looks, an SUV will definitely be more versatile (if he doesn't need to use the pickup bed often) and a bit easier to drive than a pickup.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast