New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The Escape is not the best crossover out there, but in terms of refinement, it's among the best in the class. I think the back seat suffers a bit in comparison to vehicles like the Fozzie and the CR-V, and the CX5 is still better in terms of vehicle dynamics... (but the Escape is surprisingly good in this regard, too)... if you can get one for just ASX money, it's a steal.
    My main gripe with the 1.6 is that it looks so pedestrian:

Rims are too small, the lack of accents and spoiler makes it look monotonous. Of course, these can all be remedied by aftermarket parts. However, sourcing rims for the Escape is difficult because it has a 5x108 pattern (everyone else has 5x114, Toyota/Subaru uses 5x100). Since the Escape is so rare, it's also hard to find a rear spoiler and roof rail from the usual shops like Clifford.

Then there's the problem of disposing the car in the future. You can opt to just keep the car forever, but parts availability will be difficult. Even casa maintenance will be hard because they don't usually carry inventory for low-volume cars, and waiting times can take months. Last time I checked with Mazford, they don't usually carry parts for new, low-volume cars aside from the usual filters.

Objecively, it's a good car at 1.1M, considering its size, power, and features. For armchair buyers, it's a steal. But imagining myself buying it, the issues I raised are enough to make me think twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    my take: if you were gonna buy the escape (or were seriously considering it) even without the discounts, then go for it.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    here are my givens for this decision

1. Firm budget at 1.1M
    2. Ride height (at least higher than sedan)
    3. A/T
    4. CUV that's based at least on compact cars.
    5. No AUVs (crosswind)

My finalists:

1. Strada GLX V AT
    2. ASX (40k more expensive)
    3. Escape

I did consider the innova j (bahala na M/T) coz its the most sensible one. High resale, toyota reliability. But its not what I want.

Resale value -- I can play around with this since its a company paid car and di masyado malaki yung participation ko.
    Maintenance -- I drive around less than 5km per year. So I don't see anything major happening at least in the next 5 years. Though Ford does force you to have the car serviced every 6 months regardless of mileage. I will have to budget for this.
    Gas -- same as maintenance -- might not be much of an issue since I live near to the office.

So given all these, what would you consider? Perhaps there are other choices I haven't thought of.

4. Join Date
    May 2016
    1. Strada is compact and maneuverable among pickups but feels a generation behind its competitors.
    2. ASX also feels old and cramped especially in headroom. Looks uninspiring.
    3. Escape looks bare from the outside but value for money with the amount of car you get. Parts will be an issue.
    I feel though Ford is gonna release the 2017 Escape with the updated 1.5 Ecoboost (replacing the 1.6) hence the huge discounts. That's been launched in the US and our units are CBU from there, makes sense they're clearing inventory for a refresh.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    My main gripe with the 1.6 is that it looks so pedestrian:

Rims are too small, the lack of accents and spoiler makes it look monotonous. Of course, these can all be remedied by aftermarket parts. However, sourcing rims for the Escape is difficult because it has a 5x108 pattern (everyone else has 5x114, Toyota/Subaru uses 5x100). Since the Escape is so rare, it's also hard to find a rear spoiler and roof rail from the usual shops like Clifford.

Then there's the problem of disposing the car in the future. You can opt to just keep the car forever, but parts availability will be difficult. Even casa maintenance will be hard because they don't usually carry inventory for low-volume cars, and waiting times can take months. Last time I checked with Mazford, they don't usually carry parts for new, low-volume cars aside from the usual filters.

Objecively, it's a good car at 1.1M, considering its size, power, and features. For armchair buyers, it's a steal. But imagining myself buying it, the issues I raised are enough to make me think twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ah yan ba mismo yun low -end variant. bare nga not worth. ok next topics pls

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Or wait for the Mazda CX-3 which has a rumored price of 1.1M ... A Honda Civic 1.8 perhaps?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    I was actually eyeing as well the FORD ESCAPE because of the very huge discount they are offering, but I ended up getting the base model montero instead.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Montero Sport GLS is also being offered at huge discount of 200T, price is about 1.345M now.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    That is the reason why I ended up getting the Montero instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Montero Sport GLS is also being offered at huge discount of 200T, price is about 1.345M now.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Wouldnt buy that even if it is 300k dsicount, it doesnt really look like a SUV, I hope people are not buying just becasue pf the montero name. It's a van

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast