New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Hi guys, planning to have my first German car.

I'm looking at :

1) Audi A4 1.8L mid-late 90s
    2) BMW E36 (316/318-320i).
    3) Mercedes-Benz W124 Turbo Diesel.

What are the potential problem(s) i might run into with owning these cars?

What should I look out for when finally purchasing one?

or could you suggest a better alternative than these three (same price range please)?

Thanks in advance. :-)

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    I guess I'm in the position to give feedbacks about the 3 cars posted on this thread:

1. My sister used to own an A4 in the U.S., in her experience, this has got to be the worst car shes ever owned. The car was brought back to the dealer several times to rectify a lot of small but very irritating problems mostly electrical in nature. I must admit that I enjoyed driving this car whenever I'm in California. IMO, it is the best handling car I have driven so far and its not even a quattro.

2. I used to drive a 316i E36 body. It was good at first, but one day the ABS brake system had a malfunction and upon bringing it to Prestige Cars Libis, I was shocked to receive a P115,000 repair estimate. After that I sold the car immediately. Although I'm thinking of buying my other sister's 318i E46. She's thinking of selling it because she wants a bigger car and is currently looking at the X5.

3. My dad handed down his '92 300E 2.6 W124 to me about 3 years ago, I still have the car. It has been with us since new. It has served us very well. Maintenance costs IMO, is comparable to a Japanese sedan.

since you're looking for a diesel, try looking for a 94-95 E300 diesel, a friend of mine has one and I tell you, its one sweet car. Prices should hover around 400,000 to 500,000 largely depends on the condition.

another good choice for me would be a W202 body C220, used to have a C180 but had to sell to make way for the W124.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I agree with Ron on getting the '94-'95 E300D turbodiesel with the OM606 engine.

If not that, make sure the diesel you get has good compression. A compression test will always prove beneficial as part of a prepurchase inspection. This is because the OM60x family of engines MB designed for the w124 had aluminum heads but iron blocks, and the aluminum heads are prone to warping when overheated. Have both the compression test done as a cooling system pressure test done to determine the health of the water jackets between cylinders as well as the engine in general.

Just be wary of the electrical gremlins that plague '93-'95 w124's, this also includes the w140 and w202 along the same years.

Again, get a PPI (prepurchase inspection) done as well as compression and cooling system pressure test. The vacuum pump also of the OM603 should be the updated version, the old one will tend to take out the timing chain and possibly the engine if not checked. The w124 transmissions also had an updated kit for the B2 piston I believe, this should have already been done too. Other than that the Benz is a solid platform that should provide you with years of great ownership.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Thanks, the C220 is fine it's just that i heard that on its 100K Kms, you'll need to change the wiring harness which would cost here around 100K pesos (about $2200) is this true?

I chatted with a middle-aged man in the car wash admiring his '98 c220 (because it looks so pristine) and that's what he's worried about and revealed to me he's planning to sell it due to that.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    I think 40-50k is more like it for the wiring harness, maybe the guy you talked to had his done at CATS no wonder for the ridiculous amount. I had mine replaced when I had the C180, cost me around 35k at that time.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    You could get a w124 anywhere from 1986 to 1993 and avoid the wiring harness problem altogether. Those are just as solid and reliable, if not better because of the lack of the wiring harness problem. Just please try not to convert to the E-look, enthusiasts will know

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    but you guys said those will have the problem of the OM603(?) warping head?

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Only if you overheat it for too long. If not, you should be fine. That's why I recommended a compression test done prior to purchase as well as the test for cooling system pressure to see if there's any leak, indicating a possible warped head.

These engines are pretty tough though. Some owners have rigged the aux fans to turn on whenever the AC is on, that way it remains cool and won't risk overheating. Alternatively you can get the lower rated aux fan switches to trigger them earlier than factory ratings (tropicalize them). That way instead of the fans turning on at, say, 100C, it will turn on around 80C maybe. That depends on the replacement you get.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I'm pretty good at practical electronics so I guess i can do these modifications myself (pag sinipag LOL).

Saw a 1995 E300 TD... ganda :D

Thanks a lot for the expert replies. :-)

PS. You guys don't really like BMWs, do ya? hehe
    Last edited by Horsepower; November 13th, 2007 at 02:01 PM.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    You could get a w124 anywhere from 1986 to 1993 and avoid the wiring harness problem altogether. Those are just as solid and reliable, if not better because of the lack of the wiring harness problem. Just please try not to convert to the E-look, enthusiasts will know
    Actually depende sa pagkaconvert, mine is a 92 so naka wide lower body claddings na ako tsaka yung door handles ko yung may chrome strip na, even my windshield and the 2 strips on the roof are black chromes na (dunno the proper term to call that finish). also my bumpers have the chrome strips on top as found on later models, so I just changed the hood including the grills, the rear bumper, the headlights and tailights including the signal lights at the front, the trunk and had the bumper impact strips (the black part of the bumper on older 124's) painted to match the bumpers. When my friends and my brother saw the car, they all thought that I sold my w124 and upgraded to a 94 model but the plate numbers gave me away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Audi A4 vs BMW E36 vs MB W124