New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    okay guys, first of all, i really find this website helpful. your insights are all well informed and valued. I went here to tsikot during my first purchase of my very first car two years ago, and i ended up getting a ford ghia. wala nman akong naging regret sa decision ko. (special mention to sir nikki who had been very helpful)

Anyway, i have come to face another decision again. I have convinced my mom to buy me my first brand new car, and for the longest time I have been making lambing to her and she has finally gave in. (the joys of being a bunso)

Thing is, I have wanted the SWIFT for the longest time. It's cute and not so many people hover the streets of the metro with swift, and its just perfect for my day to day city driving. However, the thought of the all new jazz has been slowly creeping to my mind. Altho am not crazy about its looks, the interior and features make up for it.

And so my dilemma goes... 1.3AT Jazz or 1.5 Swift? 2k difference.

my utmost concerns are:

1. Looks -
    2. FUEL CONSUMPTION
    3. Features/convenience
    4. driving comfort (smooth sailing like our mazda tribute, not matagtag)
    5 speed and weight (i recently drove my friend's 07 vios and i was blown away how lightweight it is..a far cry from my ford ghia to be honest)

If i get the jazz, its not something that ive really really wanted from the ghetgo.. pra kasing nawala yung sense na you bought a car and u dint get what u really liked.

If I get the swift, am scared kasi 04 pa xia nilabas baka come next year or two, biglang maglabas ng "the all new swift"... badtrip un. heheh

would really appreciate your insights again. dont really know much about the car other than the surface.. im a technical dummie.

thanks,

Caruboi

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The major problem with the Suzuki Swift is the size. Its really really cramp inside this car. And if you are a tall person and you will be having people sitting at the back, they (the people at the back seat) may end up having no legs after a a short driving trip with you. The same goes for the boot, space is so tiny that you could only fit a sardine can.

The new Jazz is what the old Jazz does best, gives you massive amounts of interior space from a small car. The new version has been improved where the old one had problems. Example is the rear seat comfort, the one Jazz felt like you were sitting on a wooden bench. The new jazz has the seats new softly covered and more comfortable to ride on, even on long journeys. The CVT tranny is not available (yet) so a traditional A/T or M/T tranny are the options for the 1.3L Jazz.

The Jazz's boot is just as big as the old Jazz with a small improvement where the rear seats now fold fully flat. The old jazz had their seats slightly poking up.

One major issue though. The Jazz's front quarter views are partially blocked by the A-pillar, similar to what you would encounter in the new Civic. I am kind of irritated by this design and it actually might be a safety concern.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    yeah i totally understand you. swift is really so tiny at the back. i dont know how they came up with it. but the front space has reasonable head/legroom. yung likod lang tlga.

would it be justifiable if i think of it as irrelevant since im just alone 80% of my time.. only like twice or three times tops that i have friends riding with me? lol

so then again, how much do i really need a cargo space?

the a-pillar is the 'column' by the side mirrors right? my brothers civic has that problem too, and when i drive it its quite a challenge to see your adjacent corners, correct.

in terms of handling and fuel efficiency, who takes the cake? and is there a big difference on over all performance vs 1.3 and 1.5?

i hope jazz doesnt ride like civic. ang tigas ng civic. at long drives nakakailang umupo. super tigas kasi. hehehe :-)

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by caruboi View Post
    yeah i totally understand you. swift is really so tiny at the back. i dont know how they came up with it. but the front space has reasonable head/legroom. yung likod lang tlga.
    When I get in the Swift, there is virtually no legroom left at the rear seats.

would it be justifiable if i think of it as irrelevant since im just alone 80% of my time.. only like twice or three times tops that i have friends riding with me? lol

so then again, how much do i really need a cargo space?
    It would be nice to know that the car you are driving would have the capacity of carry large items or people comfortably even if you usually do not need it. Based on UK's Fifth Gear tv show, you can carry a whole bicycle inside the Jazz.

in terms of handling and fuel efficiency, who takes the cake? and is there a big difference on over all performance vs 1.3 and 1.5?
    Performance between the 1.3L & 1.5L is not really that big especially if you are comparing the A/T models for city driving. In highway speeds, the 1.5L has the advantage of having that extra "oomph" to maintain higher speeds while hauling a car full of people and/or cargo.

Since you said you will be driving by yourself (with no cargo) most of the time, I would suggest the Jazz 1.3L A/T variant.

But you still might want to check the Jazz 1.5L at the dealership since the "small" price difference does come with a lot of "toys" that the 1.3L doesn't get, like retracting side mirrors, bigger wheels, etc.

i hope jazz doesnt ride like civic. ang tigas ng civic. at long drives nakakailang umupo. super tigas kasi. hehehe :-)
    The new Jazz's seats have been improved for better comfort. As for the ride quality and road handling, I can only guess since I haven't test driven the new Jazz on the road yet.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    clearly the Honda Jazz is the winner here... one of the reason we can consider is its newly released and will really be a head turner since its new in the road..and you get the "H" Badge..

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I agree with Ghosthunter... if you're considering the practicality of it, the Jazz is the way to go.

The Swift has the extra "oomph", the exclusivity (simply because it's rare) and very good performance (I'd rate it about par with Jazz generation one... Gen.2, we haven't had a chance to drive yet). But like GH says... those rear seats are absolutely useless. It'll be a joy to drive, but it won't make you popular with friends you stick in the back seat.

The new Jazz is wonderful. I think the new A-pillar design is a bit less compromised than GH makes it out to be... but it'll take a long term road test to find out. The new seats are more comfortable, definitely... still a little stiff for my tastes, but unless you're grossly overweight (like moi), you won't mind. The new ULT-folding is fantastic. With the old Jazz, you had to remove the headrest, lift up the bottom cushion and fold town the top cushion. With the new one? Just pull up a tab and fold the whole thing as one piece... the bottom cushion automatically sliding into the floor. Fantastic improvement on an already fantastic feature.

Only worry is that the new Jazz might not be as go-kart like as the old one, but if that means the ride is softer, what the heck... that'll make it even better.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by caruboi View Post
    my utmost concerns are:

1. Looks -Both looks good. Its a tie!
    2. FUEL CONSUMPTION Jazz wins kahit 1.5vtec vs the 1.5 swift
    3. Features/convenience Jazz wins, ULT seats, more legroom and cup holders too.
    4. driving comfort (smooth sailing like our mazda tribute, not matagtag) For me a tie. Both have short wheel base so you cant really compare them to bigger cars.
    5 speed and weight (i recently drove my friend's 07 vios and i was blown away how lightweight it is..a far cry from my ford ghia to be honest) havent driven the new jazz yet but based on the gen1 1.5 jazz and swift, mas type ko yung acceleration and handling ng gen1 jazz.
    The new jazz has 5speed AT while the swift 4 yata not sure

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    yes the swift has 4speed at ^ but you have the new choice of a 5mt a lower cost :D well really, i admit, i have been struck by the swift's mini cooper-like looks. even if you ask the shoutbox people, they know how swift fanatic am i. (sabihin nyo nang balimbing ako) after few days, i realized that jazz has big factor against swift. not to mention the huge cargo space and the features, it also got power and fuel efficiency at the same time bought to you by the iVtec looks? jazz is also good looking.

its looong.. and it also looks nice. head turner din sya.

more toys inside.

even if swift has a flashy design, jazz has more power so it can outrun swift whenever you want. let's weigh things. swift's major lamang over jazz is the looks. looks like a mini cooper replica (lol). in my opinion, just that and nothing more. (in my opinion yun ha, not to offend swift owners. anybody can add more? hehe) but jazz has more advantages. more power, more fuel efficient, more cargo space, more leg room and people on your back will not complain after long trips. plus you have more room to add a/v setups and the 'honda' give's you the assurance of after market parts after few years, including aftermarket accesories. remember, being different has also its disadvantages. but if your car is spread all over the streets, as said earlier, you can get more aftermarket parts and accesories.

my 2 cents

9. Join Date
    Nov 2004
    if re-sale value and interior space practicality is not your concern, then go for the swift. i like the improvements made on the new jazz especially in the interior side but the exterior styling is not really a big jump from the previous one. the swift's cute and euro-like styling is still better than that of the jazz but i guess to each his own pa rin. i just happen to like the styling of european cars compared to that of japanese cars.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    the interior space of the Swift is just about same interior space of the Hyundai I10. I was lucky enough to check out both vehicles inside a mall exhibit.

my take, a 700K+ swift vs. a sub 500K i10. dun na ako sa i10. 5 years warranty pa.

but i10 vs honda Jazz, definitely if have 700K money for swift, sa jazz na ako.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
All new jazz 1.3 AT or Suzuki Swift?