New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Good day mga sirs!

This is my very first post in Tsikot, though I’ve been reading lots of posts here for like 6 months now…

I am currently planning on buying an SUV for myself and for my folks back in the Philippines. I’m currently working here in Doha and I’ll buy the car on my next yearly vacation (1st quarter of 2014). My budget is 1.4M (cash) and around 100K more for upgrades. This will be our first ever brand new car and I’m planning on keeping it for at least 5 years.

I narrowed my choices down to three in order of preference but you are most welcome to suggest other models:

1. Toyota Fortuner
    2. Ford Everest (upcoming model)
    3. Chevrolet Trailblazer

I excluded the Montero Sport in my list since I am not a fan of its exterior styling (no offense to MS owners out there.).
    My dad suggests that I should only go for either Toyota or Mitsubishi since their reliability has been proven over the years and there are abundant parts available.
    I myself is leaning towards the Fortuner since based from the specs that I’ve read (in the old Toyota Phil. website) it contains the most complete features when compared to its Automatic counterpart (please correct me if I’m wrong). Also my family lives in the province and the nearest Toyota Casa is around 2 hours away. Actually Toyota is the only dealer near our area AFAIK.

To summarize, below are my desired configurations of the vehicle:
    1. 4x2 M/T ( Manual Transmission is a must)
    2. latest model, diesel engine
    3. w/ GPS Navigation, DVD player, Bluetooth
    4. Rear (backing) Camera
    5. Leather seats & door trims
    6. Automatic Climate Control

May I please request your inputs as to what SUV is the best to buy given the above criteria.

I understand that leather seats & door trims, GPS Navigation and Rear Camera comes only as add-ons for the Toyota Fortuner 4x2 G MT (w/ VNT). I checked with Toyota Commonwealth and the SA told me that the price of the genuine leather seats & leather door trims is 75K, GPS costs 12K and Back-up camera is 9.5K. Is this a good deal? My instinct tells me that it’s too expensive however I’m not really a car enthusiast and I’m hoping that you guys can give me an idea as to how much the reasonable cost of each item will be. Also if you can recommend other Toyota dealers and/or SAs that will be really helpful.

Do you think it’s worth waiting for the Fortuner that is rumored to be released late this year or next year? How about the new Ford Everest?

All comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you guys!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    By the looks of it your heart is already set on the Fortuner. If that's what you want then go for it. Although I would suggest you have the leather seats, multimedia system and backup camera done somewhere else. Casa charges an arm and a leg for these stuff. I suggest you also consider the more cost friendly alternative of leatherette seat covers. They're much easier to maintain than genuine leather, and can be easily replaced should it be damaged.

If you don't need the 3rd row, I'd suggest the Kia Sorento CRDi. 5 seater 4x2 M/T variant is at 1.27M. Very car-like ride quality and handling coupled with excellent performance and fuel efficiency.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Thank you sir GTi for the reponse.

Actually if I'm the only one that will ride the car then a sedan will do, unfortunately I also need a car that can seat up to 7 people for out of town trips.

My main concern is the warranty if I opt to have the leather seats, gps, rear camera done outside of the Casa. Do you think it's fine or will I have a problem with it in the future?

Btw, the SA told me the cost of the leatherette seats is around 30K; but she will check with Winterpine the exact amount.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    1. GPS. Do you really need it? You say you live in the province, so hindi mo kabisado mga kalsada sa probinsya nyo? Or you need it when going to MM? Dealer installed gps systems can be as high as 45-65k? Papauto ka sa presyo na ganyan? When you can buy a china made stand alone hand held good as garmin or even better unit windows 6.0 based system that can be as cheap as P4k?

2. Leather seats? Really? You work in doha, so have you sat on a leather upholstered seat in a car that was parked under the sun for 1 hour? Pare, stick to cloth or velour. Leather seats are HOT! Matutusta yagbols mo sa init, at mababalisawsaw ang misis mo at nanay mo pag naupo sa mainit na leather seats. Maganda nga, maporma, sikat ka pag naka-leather seats. Pero parusa yan pag summer. Maniwala ka sa sasabihin ko, yung mga naka leather seats na nasa open parking napapamura lahat yan ng pootangnanay pag pasok nila sa kotse nila! Ako naka 2 kotse na ako na leather, binilihan ko din ng seat cover na padded na curdoroy kasi mainit. MAINIT. gets?
    Last edited by yebo; September 1st, 2013 at 02:23 AM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    LOL!
    1.) I'll use it going to MM
    2.) di naman araw2 summer sir. 😊

Thanks for the heads up though..

6. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gps in the philippines is useless (for me) but you can always trust your iphone for navigation.. Which for e is more useful than nav..

Dont buy leather from casa.. Its super expensive.. Just go to "equipt" which for me has the highest reputation when it comes to seatcovers.. Though im using made by "seatpro" which is also excellent.

Back up camera is a common upgrade which you can buy anywhere in manila/banawe

100k for mods Like:
    Turbo timer
    3" full exhaust
    Set of tires & rims
    Tow hitch receiver
    In advance, have your egr blanked.

Also Having a fortuner is like a dime in a dozen.. Unlike the everest specially im loving the stock rims of it.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm good with the suggestions given. Love the way bro yebo puts the warning down on the leather seats. Would like to add that you ask about the tint that comes as a freebie para hindi ka nga matusta. Check out the Tint thread here in Tsikot too. Also, arent there GPS units in your end of the world? Baka mas mura pa dyan kelangan lang ng PH map.

It seems a Toyota is the one for you because of its proximity in case of servicing. The Ford might not have an 'All new Eve' by then though.

For the P100k budget, get it done outside casa. Banawe or online sellers give much better deals than casa. Read up on recommended shops na lang para no issues on warranty.

Posted with TocinoTalk

8. Join Date
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post
    I

For the P100k budget, get it done outside casa. Banawe or online sellers give much better deals than casa. Read up on recommended shops na lang para no issues on warranty.

Posted with TocinoTalk
    +1 for this. There was actually a time when I went to Banawe to have a turbo timer installed, and for some reason, there were lots of brand new Forts parked as touchscreen HUs were being installed on them. As in naka plastic pa interiors. Turns out these were units freshly taken out from the casa daw and pina-installan lang ng HUs sa Banawe, then balik sa casa para i-hand na sa buyer yung vehicle.

If this is really true, ang laki ng patong. Better have it installed on your own na lang.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    If younwant leather seats, get one from outside. There are a lot of reputable shops out there.

GPS, as mentioned get the stand alone navi, buy one in doha if cheaper. This way, di ka na magpapalit ng headunit, unless you really want one installed outside casa and you might have a problem with warranty kung sakali. Pero remote naman siguro na mangyari as long as reputable shop gagawa.

Backing camera, meron rin stand alone yung monitor sa rearview mirror. The only advantage of having a h.u with gps is that you can integrate it with the rear camera.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    i 2nd the others' recommendation to have them done outside the casa. it's cheaper and you can choose and pick the brand/features/etc. of what you want installed.

for GPS in the philippines, install Waze on your smart phone. HTH.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast