New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    i'm just a newbie here and need advice on which has better overall value.

I have 2 cars to choose on, assuming they are both in good condition, which is better?

99 Civic VTi vtec 1.6 MT, 80k+ km mileage or....

2000 Corolla GLi 1.6 AT, 60k+ mileage.

I hope these specs are good enough to make a good comparison. Just tell me if its lacking.

THanks!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Also, does anyone know how much these usually cost? average price lng.

Thanks ulit!

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    corolla na.. kita mo nman mileage nyan..

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    Of course, I have a biased opinion and I would pick the Civic EK anytime over any Corolla unless its the current Altis.

Btw, both cars, in my book, are considered high milers already. The difference in mileage between the two is negligible if the owner of the Civic performed the necessary periodic replacements and adjustments of parts such as the brake pads, drive shaft, boot rack, etc..

Civic 1.6 VTI m/t costs roughly Php 340,000 for that kind of mileage. Condition is unknown to me. The price is just a ball-park figure, alot depends on the condition, maintenance records, repairs, etc..

5. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Thanks for the replies , from what I have perceived so far, I'm kinda leaning towards the corolla. Mostly due to 25% more mileage of the other.

But still, any comments, suggestions and advice are still welcomed.

I still have a few more days to contemplate.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I've tried a 98 Corolla GLi A/T (practically the same as your prospect except bumpers and lights) and I felt it was a little sluggish. For one thing, it has the same 4A-FE motor as the previous AE101, yet the body is heavier. Owners also complain about the tight passenger space at the back.

Try sending a message to carlocaraddict. He owns an M/T version of the 2000 Corolla. You might want to get other info from him.

The Civic VTi is more spacious, looks more attractive, and with VTEC, performs better and may even yield more fuel economy. The only downsides to this car, compared to the Corolla, are that it doesn't have airbags, ABS, and will have more costly suspension repairs later on. The manual version is a pretty fun car next to the SiR.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    not only mileage but look also how the car was maintained by its previous owners.

paano kung nakatira ka sa dulo ng hiway, a very long hiway, tapos sa kabilang dulo ung office mo, so pag ginamit mo ung car, mataas ng ung mileage nya pero straight lang ang tinatakbo nya. cguro based din sa location and mileage, pero kung ung mileage ay city driving.. ibang usapan na yun. kya di rin ako based only on the cars mileage but how it was used and maintained.

assuming both cars are well maitained and on tip top shape, I will choose the civic. Why? because of its Power, Spacious, mas ok pormahan kaysa sa 2000 bodied corolla. sana kung new altis body na sya.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I used to have a 1996 Civic VTi M/T and im very satisfied with the performance and reliability of the car. It has a spacious interior and to think na walang taxi na Civic can add a little "prestige" to the car.

If you park them side by side - I think the civic will win handsdown in the look department (IMO). as for the performance of the 2 - no comment ako dyan.

But considering that the car that you are planning to buy is not brandnew, I suggest you check the service history/record of the 2 cars.
    Last edited by herbularyo; March 3rd, 2006 at 02:35 PM.

99 civic vti mt vs. 2000 corolla GLi at