New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Hi guys!

Am looking to buy one of these as a daily driver. Am only looking at an automatic transmission. My main considerations are 1) durability, 2) kalampag, 3) comfort, 4) fuel economy 5) aircon, 6) interior noise and 7) ease of driving.

Fieldmaster concerns - is the 4M40 dependable? I heard its a gas guzzler. How do i know which models have front or side facing 3rd row seats?

Isuzu trooper - 4JX1 is a piece of crap. I plan to do a swap with a 4JG2, 4JJ1 or 4JB1. Mura lang naman trooper so i figured after the swap almost same price silang tatlo. Are there many available surplus parts and spare parts in auto supplies? I know many of you are against engine swaps but I have done it before and am perfectly aware about the conversion issues and paper work so its not a big deal to me. I just need to know if the above engine replacements are ok. I can still sell the 4JX1 to cover some of my cost. I want to know sana how this trooper fits into my 7 criterias above.

Sorento - Is there a 3rd row seat? Is the tiptronic dependable as I heard the carnival A/T is troublesome. Is this engine common with other Kia models? What is the engine model? Is that a dependable engine. Are spare parts readily available in auto supplies and surplus shops in banawe? is the 4x4 dependable? kalampagin ba ito kasi rack and pinion lang?

Any other options in P400K - P500K price range with 60/40 2nd row seats and 3rd row seats (my bike is always in the back so i need this feature)?

Hope to hear from you guys. Thanks and happy holidays!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanrider88 View Post
    Hi guys!

Am looking to buy one of these as a daily driver. Am only looking at an automatic transmission. My main considerations are 1) durability, 2) kalampag, 3) comfort, 4) fuel economy 5) aircon, 6) interior noise and 7) ease of driving.

Fieldmaster concerns - is the 4M40 dependable? I heard its a gas guzzler. How do i know which models have front or side facing 3rd row seats?

Isuzu trooper - 4JX1 is a piece of crap. I plan to do a swap with a 4JG2, 4JJ1 or 4JB1. Mura lang naman trooper so i figured after the swap almost same price silang tatlo. Are there many available surplus parts and spare parts in auto supplies? I know many of you are against engine swaps but I have done it before and am perfectly aware about the conversion issues and paper work so its not a big deal to me. I just need to know if the above engine replacements are ok. I can still sell the 4JX1 to cover some of my cost. I want to know sana how this trooper fits into my 7 criterias above.

Sorento - Is there a 3rd row seat? Is the tiptronic dependable as I heard the carnival A/T is troublesome. Is this engine common with other Kia models? What is the engine model? Is that a dependable engine. Are spare parts readily available in auto supplies and surplus shops in banawe? is the 4x4 dependable? kalampagin ba ito kasi rack and pinion lang?

Any other options in P400K - P500K price range with 60/40 2nd row seats and 3rd row seats (my bike is always in the back so i need this feature)?

Hope to hear from you guys. Thanks and happy holidays!
    I say...
    1. Pajero
    2. Pajero
    3. Sorento
    4. Sorento
    5. not sure, but any difference should be insignificant
    6. Sorento
    7. Sorento

Pajero is nice and durable, but not the most comfortable and is the weakest among the three. A/T 4x4 gets the worst FC, similar to current 3.0L CRDi's (except the frugal 4JJ1).

We had the Trooper before. Even if the 4JX1 is a piece of crap as you put it, it has stayed with us for eight years from 20tkms-73tkms. Have replaced the injectors (free), turbo, center link assembly, and throttle position sensor (free). Engine is very punchy, though gas mileage is just so-so at around 6.5km/L. Ride comfort is quite good for an SUV, though there is a significant amount of body roll in turns. The truck-like recirculating ball and nut steering is rather bothersome as it takes about five turns to turn from lock to lock, though it is very light to turn. Everything else besides the engine is very durable. We have never replaced any suspension parts. So you are OK with an engine swap? 4JB1 would make it underpowered. If you're getting the 4JG2, performance is similar to the Pajero, so you might as well get the Pajero instead and save the hassles of having to swap engines. The 4JJ1 is a nice proposition. Fuel efficient and decently punchy engine in a good looking car (and not the hearse-like Alterra ). That is IF you can get your hands on one.

The 1st gen Sorento has a smaller but more modern engine (same as the one in the Starex GRX, if I am not mistaken) and a 5 speed tranny, which means that it is more fuel efficient than the other two. The tranny's a different unit than the Carnival's, and I have never heard anything bad about it so far. Local models have no 3rd row seat, but I think some KDM units have them. There's nothing really wrong with rack and pinion steering. Many AUVs use them, and they are very durable indeed.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    if trooper ang gusto mo, might as well search for a pre 4JX1 model with the 4JG2... not unless you're a car nut na me trusted and qualified mechanic na kayang gumawa ng engine transplant...

4. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    I say...
    1. Pajero
    2. Pajero
    3. Sorento
    4. Sorento
    5. not sure, but any difference should be insignificant
    6. Sorento
    7. Sorento

Pajero is nice and durable, but not the most comfortable and is the weakest among the three. A/T 4x4 gets the worst FC, similar to current 3.0L CRDi's (except the frugal 4JJ1).

We had the Trooper before. Even if the 4JX1 is a piece of crap as you put it, it has stayed with us for eight years from 20tkms-73tkms. Have replaced the injectors (free), turbo, center link assembly, and throttle position sensor (free). Engine is very punchy, though gas mileage is just so-so at around 6.5km/L. Ride comfort is quite good for an SUV, though there is a significant amount of body roll in turns. The truck-like recirculating ball and nut steering is rather bothersome as it takes about five turns to turn from lock to lock, though it is very light to turn. Everything else besides the engine is very durable. We have never replaced any suspension parts. So you are OK with an engine swap? 4JB1 would make it underpowered. If you're getting the 4JG2, performance is similar to the Pajero, so you might as well get the Pajero instead and save the hassles of having to swap engines. The 4JJ1 is a nice proposition. Fuel efficient and decently punchy engine in a good looking car (and not the hearse-like Alterra ). That is IF you can get your hands on one.

The 1st gen Sorento has a smaller but more modern engine (same as the one in the Starex GRX, if I am not mistaken) and a 5 speed tranny, which means that it is more fuel efficient than the other two. The tranny's a different unit than the Carnival's, and I have never heard anything bad about it so far. Local models have no 3rd row seat, but I think some KDM units have them. There's nothing really wrong with rack and pinion steering. Many AUVs use them, and they are very durable indeed.
    Thanks Gti. The Sorento sounds like a good deal then. Just need to find a tiptronic with a 3rd row seat. If I decide to get the trooper, ill put in a 4JJ1 as you recommended.

Thanks again!

5. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_gambit View Post
    if trooper ang gusto mo, might as well search for a pre 4JX1 model with the 4JG2... not unless you're a car nut na me trusted and qualified mechanic na kayang gumawa ng engine transplant...
    I was thinking of that. '99 model yan but dull grey interior and no wood panels nor body fairings. I kinda like the beige leather interior and wood paneling of the skyroof and I have trusted mechanics who do engine swaps. I have done a swap na and am happy with it. Big hassle nga lang as GTi said but you get the specs you want. I guess I am a car nut

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanrider88 View Post
    Thanks Gti. The Sorento sounds like a good deal then. Just need to find a tiptronic with a 3rd row seat. If I decide to get the trooper, ill put in a 4JJ1 as you recommended.

Thanks again!
    Haha~ Nice bro. But I wonder if the 4JJ1 is something you can find in the engine shops in Blumentritt or Banawe? It is after all a relatively new engine introduced only in 2004.

You know, I actually prefer the Trooper with the grey interior. We had a very hard time keeping the beige interior clean... The beige leather seats easily show wear and tear due to the light color. Also the durability of the seats is not very good... As for the wood trim... Its not something that is very much "in" nowadays, but the shade of the faux wood is acceptable though won't mistake it for anything but plastic.

'99-'00 Fieldmaster, '03-'05 Trooper or '05-'06 Sorento