New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Hi,

Planning to buy a car w/a max budget of 150k, I've trimmed down my choices to a Sentra Super Saloon and Familia GLI, both 97 models. The Sentra is 1st owned, 42k kms only since very seldomly used daw, all orig, last price is 150k, though I'm trying to haggle for 140k. The Familia is 2nd owned, 93k kms, all orig din, last price daw is 130k. Which would be better for my budget? Thanks in advance for the valuable inputs as always

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tim4h92 View Post
    Hi,

Planning to buy a car w/a max budget of 150k, I've trimmed down my choices to a Sentra Super Saloon and Familia GLI, both 97 models. The Sentra is 1st owned, 42k kms only since very seldomly used daw, all orig, last price is 150k, though I'm trying to haggle for 140k. The Familia is 2nd owned, 93k kms, all orig din, last price daw is 130k. Which would be better for my budget? Thanks in advance for the valuable inputs as always
    Choices:
    97 Sentra 42,000km * P150k
    97 Familia 93,000km * P139k

I would get the Sentra because of the lower mileage. But it might be good to check if that odometer reading is correct and not tampered. Seems to be pretty low, unless it was the "odd-even" car.

The Familia is not a bad choice since interior space is very good as well as a good engine under the hood. But the bad side is the rather thirsty fuel consumption of this model.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Definitely, Sentra.

Reliable engine, very cool aircon, relatively cheap and easy to find parts and IMO, better looking interior and exterior. Likewise, quite inexpensive to soup up and gets 10kms/liter.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Thanks guys! I'm actually leaning more on the sentra as well, I'm just having thoughts on the low mileage also. Will just have to observe later when I talk to the owner and see if it's really legit, though he attests it is rarely used.

Thanks again

5. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    the b14 hands down compared to the greyish zombie eyes mazda (karaniwang sakit ng 323).. quality wise very good c b14... pro did u know that the b13 is a better than the b14. ;) better suspension, even a more powerful engine the "eccs" ga16de. The ser.3 kc ga16dne sya e, a mildly tuned down ga16 version pro mas matipid. he he.. In fact it's one of the best (b13) if not the best sentra ever made as reviewed by critics in the west lalo na Se-R version nun, a soon to be classic. Pro cge ginugulo ko pa isip mo eh, stick w/ the b14 ok..

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RED XIII View Post
    the b14 hands down compared to the greyish zombie eyes mazda (karaniwang sakit ng 323).. quality wise very good c b14... pro did u know that the b13 is a better than the b14. ;) better suspension, even a more powerful engine the "eccs" ga16de. The ser.3 kc ga16dne sya e, a mildly tuned down ga16 version pro mas matipid. he he.. In fact it's one of the best (b13) if not the best sentra ever made as reviewed by critics in the west lalo na Se-R version nun, a soon to be classic. Pro cge ginugulo ko pa isip mo eh, stick w/ the b14 ok..

Thanks! I actually had the chance to own a B13 before, a 1994 model, and I agree it was really fast, I remember one time hindi ako maiwanan ng Opel Vectra sa SLEX Needed cash kasi so I had to let it go..anyway I got to see both cars last night, OK yung sentra except for the needed paint job and a stiff clutch, I'm still trying to convince the owner to bring down the price to 140k so I can have extra for repairs, might be looking at replacing the clutch disc. The Familia is also in good condition, paint is ok as well as interior and engine, may mga kalampag lang so that's where the repairs will be coming from.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Sentra stiff clutch might be from a clutch cable that needs lubricating or replacement.

If the mileage is anywhere near correct i'd get the Sentra. Start it with the engine cold (after an overnight park) and observe for any clatter or erratic idle.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    The Sentra stiff clutch might be from a clutch cable that needs lubricating or replacement.

If the mileage is anywhere near correct i'd get the Sentra. Start it with the engine cold (after an overnight park) and observe for any clatter or erratic idle.
    Around how much would the cable cost me? Started the car cold last night, since we checked the engine first, so far no clatter or erratic idling. Would you say 150k would be a fair enough price? Thanks

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If there's no clatter then chances are the oil change was done regularly...

At 150K it's a fair price already given the car is in good condition. I'm not sure on the price of the cable though... what others do is to grease it from time to time (baka kaya pa).

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    If there's no clatter then chances are the oil change was done regularly...

At 150K it's a fair price already given the car is in good condition. I'm not sure on the price of the cable though... what others do is to grease it from time to time (baka kaya pa).

alright thanks, hopefully di ako maunahan, will drop by again tonight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
97 Sentra SIII or 97 Familia GLI