New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    guys, i need your suggestions on this one.. my car is a '93 Corona EX Saloon, 1st owned, (became mine when my dad passed away), low mileage (67,+++ kms) excellent running condition, still has nice paint but has some dings and scratches (normal for a recently daily driven car). it wasn't a daily driver before when my dad had a company car (this was his personal car).

my mom owns the '96 Corolla GLi TRD Sports version, it was her company car before,it has 213,+++kms, since it was used by her boss' family before it was assigned to her. it runs very well too, and the suspension's still ok, no kalampag or anything.

the thing is, my mom's leaving for canada early next year, and we have to sell one car. as much as i wanted to keep them both, i don't think i can afford it. obviously, the corona eats up a little more gas than the corolla, and is older. the corona's resale also is a little lower than the corolla's.

what car should i keep guys? thanks in advance

2. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    I'm really sold to the performance of 90s 1.6L compacts... those Corollas, Sentras and Civics of yore are really good performers with that mere engine size.
    While features, styling and exclusivity really belongs to Corolla.
    Ok yung Corona kase wala kang makikitang taxi sa kalsada. 2.0L performance. More exclusive. A notch above the Corolla.
    But if i have to choose, kung ako, i'd keep the Corolla. More practical, cheaper to run and ample performer din naman.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thanks for the suggestion bro!

guys, feel free to post up your opinions on this one

4. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    if gas cost is not a question, i prefer corona to retain... considering the corolla mileage also, just my 2 cents...

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    bro keep mo nalang corona. d nman siguro nagkakalayo sa kunsumo yan.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    salamat sa mga replies niyo mga bro..labag talaga sa loob ko na ibenta yung corona, my family has a very special relationship with that car, but im also thinking about its age, as well as the rising gas prices. but other than that, ok na ok pa naman yung condition.

the corolla naman, despite it's high mileage, was well maintained by the previous owner. when we got it, it had 197,+++kms, back in 2005. we also maintained it well, since we got it.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    The Corona sounds more tempting due to the lower mileage and swankier setup.

However parts will cost 2-5X more. And at 67000km, it will soon be due for a ton of expensive repairs.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thanks for your advice sir

i decided to put the corona up for sale (kahit masakit talaga bitawan).. i just started on my first job, and i don't think i can keep them both..im really going to miss that car so much pasensya na sa "drama" guys, that car has built a very special relationship, as well as sentimental value not only to me but to our family. it has served us very well for 14 years, but sometimes we just have to move on..oh well

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    "While features, styling and exclusivity really belongs to Corolla."

sorry, i meant that features, styling and exclusivity really belongs to the CORONA.

And at 67000km, it will soon be due for a ton of expensive repairs.
    -Orly Andico

same sentiments bro, just my 2 cents, when buying a car 2nd hand. We go for something that went past most of its predictable wear and tear and repairs. like, i'd get something that is past 120tkms than one with 70tkms for as long as every possible replacement and repairs have been taken cared of already in the former. yung 70tkms car, puro due for replacement na yun. pipiga ka pa ng pera for maintenance.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    kung ako papipiliin i'll choose '93 corona ex saloon 5speed manual yun kase yung previous ride ko na pinagamit saken dad ko since '97-2003' bale 5,000km ito nung napunta saken di kase masyado nagagamit ng dad since nabili nya nung mid 1993 bnew.

ok naman performance ng 3SFE engine nito tahimik, smooth yung ride, mas gwapo sa corolla, ok suspension mas mataas resale value sa corolla. sa gas medyo mas malakas ng konti compare sa 1990 16valve corolla GL manual namen konti lang mods ko dito powerstock USA air filter, Leatherette seat cover, torquemaster sparkplugs w/ high tension wires, strut bar.
    so far ang naging problem ko lang e nag leak yung hose nung transmision fluid then nasira yung ic. part nung kenwood head unit(stock) minor lang less than 2k lang nagastos ko. until binenta ko pandagdag sa '03 crv 4x2 so far ok naman resale value nya for almost 10 yrs car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
'93 Corona EX Saloon or '96 Corolla GLi