New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Mga sir, help naman po. I'am planning to buy a 2nd hand old school car.I will use it almost everyday and maybe sometimes for long trips. My choices are the Lancer Boxtype or the Toyota Corona DX(SE)(Silver edition) with an 12R engine. Both are priced at 40k-50k.
    Anu po ba mas ok sa dalawa in terms of:
    =Reliability?
    =Availability of parts(both for the engine & body)?
    =Maintainance wise?

if the unit i will get is in good condition both the body & engine.

Thanks in advance mga Sir!!!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    they're both good and reliable. but they're both very old. you might have problems sourcing spare parts and the knowledgeable mechanics to service them.. (carburated sila both; not every mechanic knows how to tune them).
    i still see a number of box lancers, but hardly any 12Rs anymore..
    i think box lancer might have more parts availability than the corona, because it was manufactured for a much longer time using the same body.. the corona marque may have been in use longer, but their body design changed regularly.
    i used to have an 81 box lancer 1400 and a 1976 corona RT100 (or 12R). both were pawis steering from standstill, by today's standards. but i daresay the 1976 12R was almost power-steering feel.. my kasama had a silver ed, and he claims he grew arm muscles in it.. the 1976 12R had beautiful double-A front suspension, better than many of today's cars.. i am not sure for the silver edition. the lancer had the regular macpherson struts. both had leaf springs at the back.
    fuel efficiency wise, they were both ok.. 8-10 km/li.
    passenger space.. corona has more.
    if you are an older spirit, i recommend the corona. if you have a young heart, get the lancer.

what did i enjoy tinkering with more? the corona! there's something about the tinker-ability of toyotas of old.. for one, the corona had a more generous engine bay.. to me, toyotas invited tinkering..

pssst! rumor has it, the rt100 was patterned from the ford thunderbird..
    Last edited by dr. d; December 2nd, 2012 at 04:14 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    For a daily and long drive, the car needs to be in tip top shape. To do that for these old cars is quite a task and you need a steady stream of parts. Having said that, i would recommend looking for a box type lancer that is in a great shape, probably cost you north of 75k, then have it checked properly. Replace all worn out parts, rubbers, bushings, hoses, etc. And learn to maintain it yourself.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Depende na to sa pinagdaanan ng unit na makukuha mo at kung pano mo ime maintain at willing gastusin...sobrang tagal nang mga to

5. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    i will go with the silver edition dx mas marami pa siyang parts na available at a reasonable price while box type hirap maghanap ng piyesa kung may makita ginto naman ang presyo

6. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    If i were you, ill go with the dx.as mentioned above it is more fun to drive and too old school! I love old school cars because they are easy to maintain.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    My pick would be the Lancer, quite an icon during its heyday, the legendary boxtype can still turn heads up to the present. The box type was the weapon of choice at the drag races of my generation.

Get a box type, pull out the Saturn and put in a 4G63. Ultimate stoplight sleeper.

'83 Mitsubishi Lancer Boxtype or '83 Toyota Corona DX(SE)(silver edition)