New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I have a relative who's looking for a car and is choosing between the two. So, which one do you guys think is the better buy for the money? How much mileage and power do their engines give? Budget is not exceeding 250k by the way.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    If it's the Galant m/t, power is good. Quite a fast car. The Cefiro a/t is quite laid back. Adequate power but not really fast.

I can only give that input since I was able to drive the 7G Galant m/t and a Cefiro a/t.

Mileage, both would do around 5-7 on city driving.

Galant has a sportier look inside and out. Cefiro looks more mature and luxurious. Space wise both are very good. Both are comfortable but the Cefiro has a softer ride. As for the Galant, even with 17" rims, comfort didn't really deteriorate.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    We own both (2000 Cefiro VQ a/t) and 1994 Galant VR m/t.

Cefiro:
    - Comfort oriented; very nice to drive on the long hauls.
    - Better suspension in terms of longevity
    - More interior space
    - around 6.5 to 7km/L in city driving with a relaxed foot.
    - Very nice and smooth engine but sakit sa ulo if it had previously overheated or the previous owner did not care for it much.
    - Runs on 95 octane fuel

Galant:
    - Driver Oriented (sportier) feel and handling.
    - Suspension isnt as refined as that of the Cefiro; i dont know how it is with others but for some reason ours loves to eat ball joints for breakfast :P
    - Does around 7+ to 9km/l in the city (depending on how bad the traffic is) and can reach around 12km/L on the highway.
    - runs on 93 octane fuel

Between the two, given both are in good condition. I'd get the Cefiro definitely.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    He's looking for A/T versions of both. I think he got tired with driving a manual Lancer itlog GLXi for the past 16 years, and in Baguio at that. How does the A/T Galant do compared to the A/T Cefiro? I've noticed that the Cefiro has a very bad resale value as compared to the Galant. Is it just because of the brand? Or are there any hidden problems with it?

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    i own a 98 cefiro v6 2.0.

no problems running around baguio. kennon is peanuts to this vehicle, and that's just with the 2.0. i hear power is even better with the 2.5 (imported, surplus transplant vq engine) and 3.0 (found on the a33 cefiro, next gen after mine).

if he won't mind the fuel consumption (comes close to the 1st and 2nd gen CRV) then the cefiro is a good bet.

although i must confess, maganda din yung galant shark, hehe.

tabla sila, i think. 8K++ ang rehistro pareho hehe.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Sa tingin ko 2.0V6 is more than enough na. 155 horses is still a very respectable figure even nowadays. How about handling? As compared to the Galant or any other midsize sedan of its time?

7. Join Date
    May 2010
    In this case, a Cefiro would be the definite winner. The Galant has a 2.0 4 cylinder engine and a 2.5 V6, not a 2.0V6.

For the availability of units, a lot of Cefiro units are there in the second hand market.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by voltscastillo View Post
    i own a 98 cefiro v6 2.0.

no problems running around baguio. kennon is peanuts to this vehicle, and that's just with the 2.0. i hear power is even better with the 2.5 (imported, surplus transplant vq engine) and 3.0 (found on the a33 cefiro, next gen after mine).

if he won't mind the fuel consumption (comes close to the 1st and 2nd gen CRV) then the cefiro is a good bet.

although i must confess, maganda din yung galant shark, hehe.

tabla sila, i think. 8K++ ang rehistro pareho hehe.
    The 2.5 VQ is a good engine swap option. More power yet the FC remains just the same.

As for the Galant, i'd only get it in m/t mode. The a/t of the VR V6 is apparently problematic.

9. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    The 2.5 VQ is a good engine swap option. More power yet the FC remains just the same.

As for the Galant, i'd only get it in m/t mode. The a/t of the VR V6 is apparently problematic.
    Do you mean the one with the Fuzzy Logic tranny???

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by myk384 View Post
    In this case, a Cefiro would be the definite winner. The Galant has a 2.0 4 cylinder engine and a 2.5 V6, not a 2.0V6.

For the availability of units, a lot of Cefiro units are there in the second hand market.
    AFAIK the pre-facelift Galant ('94-'98) has the the 2.0I-4 4G63 and 2.0 V6 6A12 right? While the post-facelift has the 2.5V6 6A13. How much power does the 6A12 in the Galant make, BTW? I heard that it is actually better as compared to the 6A13 in the "shark" Galant.

Problematic pala ang A/T ng Galant? Yun ba yung notorious INVECS II?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
7th gen Galant 2.0V6 vs. 97-02 Cefiro