New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Hi guys,

I'm about to finalize in buying the 2004 BMW 318 MSPORT tomorrow, would you prefer buying a different one?

2004 BMW 318 MSPORT
    - previous owner: my uncle (2nd hand)
    - Mileage: 40k
    - no engine problems, change in transmission valve only

2009 Subaru Forester 2.0L
    - AutoCamp Ortigas
    - Price: ~800k
    - Mileage: 52k
    - Casa maintained

I've seen in sulit that 2009 GT-A is also being sold around this price range as well.

Which one would you prefer? Since I'm buying a 2nd hand car.. I'm leaning more towards in buying the MSPORT. Since it's my uncle and I trust it's history.

But the Forester is very tempting also.. and since it's casa-maintained, the history should also be trusted?

Need your feedbacks asap!

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Just one question is relevant here: Will you be shouldering maintenance and acquisition of spare parts? If yes, automatically "X" na yun BMW dyan lest you curse every CASA visit.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Although I don't fault you for choosing the BMW 318 MSport, I would like to ask if you are ready to spend an arm and a leg to it's maintenance and repair? It might be in good condition now but sooner or later stuff will go wrong. Spare parts can be quite expensive even if sourced from outside the "casa". Also, the 318 isn't that big on space at the front nor back seats.

With your budget, I would suggest something else with a more recent "vintage".

4. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Although I don't fault you for choosing the BMW 318 MSport, I would like to ask if you are ready to spend an arm and a leg to it's maintenance and repair? It might be in good condition now but sooner or later stuff will go wrong. Spare parts can be quite expensive even if sourced from outside the "casa". Also, the 318 isn't that big on space at the front nor back seats.

With your budget, I would suggest something else with a more recent "vintage".

can give suggestions? i've read in some threads that the cost of maintenance and parts of BMW (outside casa) is at par with honda.
    But of course, I would service it in the casa for as long as I can take :D

5. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    this may sound odd but.....
    The Forester may cost more in maintenance than the Bmw

there are many good shops that can service bmws outside the casa, with the subaru you may get stuck with the casa. Add to that the complicated awd drivetrain of the subaru and the costs are rocketing.

The statement "it costs the same to maintain a honda" is actually true. Assuming nothing breaks and your idea of a honda is an accord
    an oil change in the casa for a 4cyl E90 is 6k and that is every 12

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    With 700k, I would also be looking at a Ford Focus 2.0L TDCi (2009-2011) or even get lucky with an early model 8th gen Accord 2.4L (2008-2009). With even less (500k-600k), you could be looking at a Civic FD 2.0L.

Kung BMW talaga gusto, why not look at a 325i instead? More power for the same chassis. Just check though how much it would cost to maintain an E46 (Di pa ata E90 yung mga 2004 3-series).

7. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    318m sport is a slow car, cramped , And is expensive to maintain. Mechanicals don't last forever and you are buying a ten year old car. Problems will crop up if they haven't already. Things are MEANT to be replaced in their ten year lifecycle. i.e. rubber starts to degrade badly, plastics start to harden and chip, metal starts to rust and have fatigue, joints will squeak, engine cylinders will lose a little compression, gears will start to grind.

Id get the Subaru Forester. Much newer, AWD, larger, taller, sunroof, etc.

Would you pay 700k for a headache? Sayang lang your hard earned money.

Besides, the 318m E46 has 'lost' its porma factor a loooooong time ago. If it was a 325 or a 330 for that price then maybe I would pull the trigger as they are much faster and more fun to drive cars. But a 318 of that vintage?
    Last edited by EQAddict; May 28th, 2013 at 10:40 AM.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I already posted in the other thread, but might as well post this here, as well:

For 700k? If you want a toy? Try an older Forester. Something like an 07 Forester XT will cost some 700-800k pesos.

Porma? Check.

Features? (Sunroof! Hood scoop!) Check.

Power? Hell YES.

Uncommon. Unusual. Only extra maintenance over a regular Fozzie is the extra oil you need for the oil change. Parts not as expensive as the BMW. You'll even get similar fuel economy to the underpowered 318 in traffic. The 318 might steer a bit nicer, but there are a hell of a lot of dress-up, suspension and performance upgrades available for the older Forester XT. Better yet, the 07's automatic transmission is considered to be more reliable after modification than the previous generation one. The "STI" conversion is a popular one... give it bronze metallic OZ-style rims, lower it, give it more boost, and you've got something that's flashy, fast and funky.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    get something newer

10. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I already posted in the other thread, but might as well post this here, as well:

For 700k? If you want a toy? Try an older Forester. Something like an 07 Forester XT will cost some 700-800k pesos.

Porma? Check.

Features? (Sunroof! Hood scoop!) Check.

Power? Hell YES.

Uncommon. Unusual. Only extra maintenance over a regular Fozzie is the extra oil you need for the oil change. Parts not as expensive as the BMW. You'll even get similar fuel economy to the underpowered 318 in traffic. The 318 might steer a bit nicer, but there are a hell of a lot of dress-up, suspension and performance upgrades available for the older Forester XT. Better yet, the 07's automatic transmission is considered to be more reliable after modification than the previous generation one. The "STI" conversion is a popular one... give it bronze metallic OZ-style rims, lower it, give it more boost, and you've got something that's flashy, fast and funky.

i agree with this, the older gen forester was much more reliable and can take more of a beating compared to the newer foresters. plus the fact that the older gen XT's was a lot faster than the new forester and parts with the old STi are interchangeable with the XT. heck even in stock form the XT was faster than a 350z in 0-100kph and 1/4 mile. oh and they're cheaper to maintain compared to the newer subaru's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast