The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    your thoughts? Opted to buy a mobilio CVT versus the manual

Sorry for the typo, "continuously"

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    The Mobilio hasn't been on the market too long to have enough credible feedback on its CVT reliability. Previous CVT generations have been problematic, but that may have stemmed from the fact that when they came out locally, the wrong fluid was was being used. It's only the past 8-10 years that Honda came out with a proper CVT fluid. Not 100% sure on this though.

But for one, CVT offers the best fuel economy, rivaling M/T. In other words, it's the best of both worlds; Convenience of an A/T with the fuel economy and efficiency of an M/T.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    The Mobilio hasn't been on the market too long to have enough credible feedback on its CVT reliability. Previous CVT generations have been problematic, but that may have stemmed from the fact that when they came out locally, the wrong fluid was was being used. It's only the past 8-10 years that Honda came out with a proper CVT fluid. Not 100% sure on this though.

But for one, CVT offers the best fuel economy, rivaling M/T. In other words, it's the best of both worlds; Convenience of an A/T with the fuel economy and efficiency of an M/T.
    earth dreams cvt has been in the market for over 4 years. Its on the honda city, jazz, mobilio, hr-v and br-v. Crv and civic and accords have the midspec cvts. If my numbers are right, over 5m hondas have these earth dreams cvt.

There was a minor tcm update months ago but i think that was fixed eventually.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    earth dreams cvt has been in the market for over 4 years. Its on the honda city, jazz, mobilio, hr-v and br-v. Crv and civic and accords have the midspec cvts. If my numbers are right, over 5m hondas have these earth dreams cvt.

There was a minor tcm update months ago but i think that was fixed eventually.
    I stand corrected.

It seems that the newer CVTs from Honda are a significant improvement over the old one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by oj88; June 4th, 2016 at 12:48 PM.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2015
    For me it all depends on what accessories would I need. I would prefer MT as it's more reliable theoretically. Not sure if the CVT can withstand the full load of this car (7 seats) without sustaining much wear & tear, and it being based on the Brio platform.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanmetal View Post
    . Not sure if the CVT can withstand the full load of this car (7 seats) without sustaining much wear & tear, and it being based on the Brio platform.
    So you think honda didnt test these mobilios before selling into international markets?

7. Join Date
    Dec 2015
    So you think honda didnt test these mobilios before selling into international markets?
    They did, but no offense, even volkswagen, mercedes benz has reliability issues as according to reviews overseas.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    The same 1.5L engine and cvt are being used on the br-v, its bigger and can seat 7 too.

If you can give us instances of mobilio/br-v failures then maybe its worth looking into.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2015
    The same 1.5L engine and cvt are being used on the br-v, its bigger and can seat 7 too.

If you can give us instances of mobilio/br-v failures then maybe its worth looking into.
    Sorry bro, just speculating based on written specs

10. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanmetal View Post
    For me it all depends on what accessories would I need. I would prefer MT as it's more reliable theoretically. Not sure if the CVT can withstand the full load of this car (7 seats) without sustaining much wear & tear, and it being based on the Brio platform.
    You should be more concerned on whether the 1.5L engine can provide enough torque when the car is at full load, not the reliability of the transmission at full load. All engines can only generate a certain maximum torque, and all transmissions can only withstand a certain amount of torque. It just happened that a CVT has a lower torque limit than the fixed gear counterparts. But if they chose a CVT to pair with the 1.5L, it means that it should be able to withstand the maximum torque that engine can provide. And if they chose that 1.5L to power a 7-seater, then it means that it should be able to. In other words, hindi nila isasalpak yang 1.5L - CVT combo na yan kung hindi kakayanin ang maximum load. That's just plain stupid, and harmful to the company's reputation should it fail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
continously variable transmimssion (CVT) versus manual or automatic thread