New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Need your help in deciding which is the best family car. We are going to use the car 90% of the time in the city. We also like going to Batangas/Tagaytay once in a while.

Both are very close in terms of price. Both are also good in terms of looks, but I have no experience with Honda or Kia cars (Only Mitsubishi and Toyota). What we are generally looking for in a car are:

-Riding Comfort
    -Fuel Economy
    -Good After-sales service

I think value for both cars is quite good, but I still have some questions before i can decide which to choose. The CR-V's is very nice to drive and I personally like the interior, but is the 2.0 i-vtec engine as capable under a full load. I have a big family (we are 5) and most of us are on the heavy side .

I haven't test driven the Sorento (no test drive unit), but since it is diesel I believe there will be fuel savings in the long run. I am still not sure about quality, parts availability and after sales service. Hopefully, I would hear some feedback from Sorento owners on this.

Thanks for your help.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The Sorento is bigger than the CRV. The Sorento is about the same size as the Hyundai Santa Fe (both SUV's share the same platform and engine). It also has a more powerful engine and Korean CRDi engines do offer decent fuel efficiency figures. Ride comfort may be stiffer than a CRV but it is better than the ladder-frame midsize SUV's (Fortuner, Montero Sport, Everest). The Sorento drives like a big car on big wheels. My father-in-law owns a 2010 Sorento (2.4L gas, 4x4) and so far, I have not heard complaints from him with his local dealer. It would have been better if he had chosen the 2.2L CRDi model as the 2.4L gas model is not as athletic.
    Last edited by Egan101; November 30th, 2013 at 09:15 AM.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lancer97 View Post
    Need your help in deciding which is the best family car. We are going to use the car 90% of the time in the city. We also like going to Batangas/Tagaytay once in a while.

Both are very close in terms of price. Both are also good in terms of looks, but I have no experience with Honda or Kia cars (Only Mitsubishi and Toyota). What we are generally looking for in a car are:

-Riding Comfort
    -Fuel Economy

I think value for both cars is quite good, but I still have some questions before i can decide which to choose. The CR-V's is very nice to drive and I personally like the interior, but is the 2.0 i-vtec engine as capable under a full load. I have a big family (we are 5) and most of us are on the heavy side .

I haven't test driven the Sorento (no test drive unit), but since it is diesel I believe there will be fuel savings in the long run. I am still not sure about quality, parts availability and after sales service. Hopefully, I would hear some feedback from Sorento owners on this.

Thanks for your help.
    I do drive a Cr-V 3rd gen M/T. It's a car that you can rely on. No major problems so far and ran about 75,000 already. But i believe the AT variant has a low fuel mileage figure. M/T mixed gas consumption is around 11-12kms at least for me. But when given a choice between sorrento and crv. I'll choose the sorrento anytime of the day. The 2.0 liter variant of cr-v will you get from point A to point B but it's acceleration is nowhere near for sorrento. It's a capable engine but not high-performance.

About after sales service, pareho lang yan. Just maintain it properly and take care of the turbo. If something's wrong with your sorrento. Mura lang naman parts and hindi naman mahirap maghanap ng piyesa. Andyan naman fronte or seiring.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Have driven both. Crv is kinda anemic. Will cause you to have high fc. Sorento just pulls harder, and returns a better mileage. Bought the sorento, have not looked back since. I will out torque everybody. Ü

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tsikot Forums Mobile App mobile app

5. Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Santafe over sorento

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    If you do want a gas-powered CUV at around the same price as the CRV or Sorento, I'd go with the Forester 2.0 NA or the CX-5 2.0L.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lancer97 View Post

-Riding Comfort
    -Fuel Economy

Thanks for your help.
    Sorrento for the Better Fuel Economy
    CRV for the Comfort
    Sorrento for the after sales, since I haven't heard from friends who drive Kia cars problems with after Sales. With Honda based on my own experience have a less customer oriented attitude or its just our dealer.

Santa Fe or Sorrento, Im more of a Santa Fe fan now than Sorrento

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    If you do want a gas-powered CUV at around the same price as the CRV or Sorento, I'd go with the Forester 2.0 NA or the CX-5 2.0L.
    Thanks for the info. We did consider the cx5, but based on reviews it is smaller compared to the crv or Sorento. As for the forester, we expect to use the car in the city and think that the awd will be used very rarely and might not be worth the overhead in fuel economy.
    Last edited by lancer97; December 2nd, 2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: spelling correction

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by istan View Post
    Have driven both. Crv is kinda anemic. Will cause you to have high fc. Sorento just pulls harder, and returns a better mileage. Bought the sorento, have not looked back since. I will out torque everybody. Ü

Thanks for the feed back. I've heard of 'kalampag' issues with KIA vehicles. Is this still true?

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Sorento vs sta fe. Kinda same. Ü

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast