New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Hey guys.
    I just wanted to ask your opinion on what 2nd hand car I should get for a budget of 1 million.

Looking at an SUV or crossover - Already have a sedan and a van.
    1 million budget - because if over 1M, might as well get brand new nalang for a little more.

Here are my priorities from highest to lowest:
    1. Reliable - having owned Hondas, Nissans and Toyotas, this is a must. We tend to keep our cars until they're 10 years old or more.
    2. Comfortable - I've heard the fortuners' ride is harsh? Been in a Montero and the ride was acceptable.
    3. Enough power
    4. Fuel efficient - anything over 6-7km/l in the city is fine
    5. maintenance - shouldn't be too difficult to maintain, parts shouldnt be too expensive

here are my current options:

1. Mitsubishi Monterosport - would prefer the more powerful 3.2 GLS SE or the 2.5 GLS-V VGT (if it fits the budget)
    2. Honda CRV (3rd gen) - 2.4 AWD variant
    3. Fortuner? - harsh ride?
    4. ?

I'm leaning towards the Montero, the 2008-2009 ones. Is it a good choice?

Any other suggestions guys? I'm from Cebu btw so 2nd hand cars here are a bit more expensive than in Manila.

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    2 Nissan Patrol Safaris.

The extra money you save will go to maintenance.

:D

3. Join Date
    Jan 2014

montero o fortuner bro..

4. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    2010 2nd gen. Kia Sorento?

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    2012/2013 Ford Everest AT
    2012 Kia Sorento

6. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    I won't recommend the gas-variant of the Montero Sport. I will suggest you go for the diesel counterpart for the low-end RPM torque figures. Gas savings of diesel versus gasoline is offset by the higher maintenance cost of diesel engines. However over the long-term, the diesel variant will have a lower overall operational cost versus the gas variant.

For the CRV, try to go for their FWD 4x2 variant rather than the top-of-the-line AWD transmission. The AWD transmission will always eat into your fuel efficiency figures since throwing power to all four wheels is less efficient than just putting power on two. The 2.0 is fine for your everyday car and since it has the chassis of a car, it will be more comfortable than your Montero and Fortuner which are truck based ladders. Handling is fine and steering was responsive. It kinda drives like an elevated and less well-cushioned Accord actually.

The Fortuner will have a bit firmer ride versus the Montero. However, if the Montero's ride quality is acceptable for you then the Fortuner should also pass your standards.

My recommendation will be the older-2nd generation (2007-2013) Hyundai Sta. Fe and its sibling, the Kia Sorento. As with the CRV, it has a car-platform (in this case, the older Hyundai Sonata) which guarantees you better comfort. The 2.2L diesel is more than enough for your city and highway driving while parts is relatively abundant thanks to Hyundai's rising reputation in the country. Parts will not be as abundant as Toyota or Mitsubishi's but part sourcing should not be a problem.

I pretty much chose that one since it's the most practical given your budget. I thought about throwing the Subaru Forester in but the Sta. Fe is more roomy, is easier to source parts, and more fuel efficient thanks to the diesel. Reliability-wise, the XT variant's turbocharger is also questionable as well as its 96-octane minimum fuel requirement.

The Nissan Safari will be out-of-reach if you plan on going for the newer ones. The 90s go for less than half your budget though and will make an excellent off-road everyday car. Part availability isn't as hard as you think it is either. Still, it's old and I'm not too sure if the wife will appreciate driving one.

If not for the SUV requirement, a secondhand Toyota Camry will be my pick and even more so if you have a driver to ferry you around.

After purchase of 2nd-hand car and deeming it good and drivable, I will recommend the following "upgrades":

1. Get a new tint - tints doesn't last forever and a fresh tint will keep your car from being an oven inside. While it's easy to ascertain whether the paint condition is good, tint condition is harder.

2. Get a retrofit - one is that your halogen lights will eventually die on you since it's already used so might as well get a shiny new projector assembly and a HID to go with it. Not only will it serve you for years to come but you have added visibility on the road for your own safety.

* Tip: If you're looking for Gary's options and cash-strapped, the Stage 2 will be the sweet spot.

3. Get leather-seats - this is a luxury option but good quality leather seats screams "upscale!!" for people riding in them. Cleaning is also easier compared to their fabric counterpart.

Disclaimer: We own a Montero and a 3rd-gen CRV. I have already ridden in the Fortuner and Sta. Fe enough times to give me a glimpse of what they do.
    Last edited by jhnkvn; February 24th, 2014 at 04:09 PM.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    I think the answer is already in your inquiry. Goodluck!

Sent from whatever device I got my hands on via Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    How old is the oldest you'd want the car to be?

9. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Pajero? pero sa current choice nyo sa CRV ako

10. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for the replies guys!

Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    2 Nissan Patrol Safaris.

The extra money you save will go to maintenance.

:D
    Actually, a relative offered to sell us his 2003 Patrol 4x2 A/T for 650k. It was very well maintained, and it was very tempting. But it's already 10 years old and problems are sure to come. I also heard of problems with the ZD30 engine.

Quote Originally Posted by viper888 View Post
    2010 2nd gen. Kia Sorento?
    I really like the look of the Sorento and the engine seems powerful on paper. But is it already as reliable as the Japanese cars? Reliability is a must talaga for me. I'm a bit doubtful because I know a few people with a 2008 up Sorento and parati nasa casa.

Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    I won't recommend the gas-variant of the Montero Sport. I will suggest you go for the diesel counterpart for the low-end RPM torque figures. Gas savings of diesel versus gasoline is offset by the higher maintenance cost of diesel engines. However over the long-term, the diesel variant will have a lower overall operational cost versus the gas variant.

For the CRV, try to go for their FWD 4x2 variant rather than the top-of-the-line AWD transmission. The AWD transmission will always eat into your fuel efficiency figures since throwing power to all four wheels is less efficient than just putting power on two. The 2.0 is fine for your everyday car and since it has the chassis of a car, it will be more comfortable than your Montero and Fortuner which are truck based ladders. Handling is fine and steering was responsive. It kinda drives like an elevated and less well-cushioned Accord actually.

The Fortuner will have a bit firmer ride versus the Montero. However, if the Montero's ride quality is acceptable for you then the Fortuner should also pass your standards.

My recommendation will be the older-2nd generation (2007-2013) Hyundai Sta. Fe and its sibling, the Kia Sorento. As with the CRV, it has a car-platform (in this case, the older Hyundai Sonata) which guarantees you better comfort. The 2.2L diesel is more than enough for your city and highway driving while parts is relatively abundant thanks to Hyundai's rising reputation in the country. Parts will not be as abundant as Toyota or Mitsubishi's but part sourcing should not be a problem.

I pretty much chose that one since it's the most practical given your budget. I thought about throwing the Subaru Forester in but the Sta. Fe is more roomy, is easier to source parts, and more fuel efficient thanks to the diesel. Reliability-wise, the XT variant's turbocharger is also questionable as well as its 96-octane minimum fuel requirement.

The Nissan Safari will be out-of-reach if you plan on going for the newer ones. The 90s go for less than half your budget though and will make an excellent off-road everyday car. Part availability isn't as hard as you think it is either. Still, it's old and I'm not too sure if the wife will appreciate driving one.

If not for the SUV requirement, a secondhand Toyota Camry will be my pick and even more so if you have a driver to ferry you around.

After purchase of 2nd-hand car and deeming it good and drivable, I will recommend the following "upgrades":

1. Get a new tint - tints doesn't last forever and a fresh tint will keep your car from being an oven inside. While it's easy to ascertain whether the paint condition is good, tint condition is harder.

2. Get a retrofit - one is that your halogen lights will eventually die on you since it's already used so might as well get a shiny new projector assembly and a HID to go with it. Not only will it serve you for years to come but you have added visibility on the road for your own safety.

* Tip: If you're looking for Gary's options and cash-strapped, the Stage 2 will be the sweet spot.

3. Get leather-seats - this is a luxury option but good quality leather seats screams "upscale!!" for people riding in them. Cleaning is also easier compared to their fabric counterpart.

Disclaimer: We own a Montero and a 3rd-gen CRV. I have already ridden in the Fortuner and Sta. Fe enough times to give me a glimpse of what they do.
    Thanks for the long and thorough reply. Appreciate it!

Yup, as for the Montero, I'm eyeing the diesel ones. They sip fuel at around 10km/L which is pretty good for me. The torque is great too.

For the CRV, actually the main reason I'm looking at the AWD 2.4 variant is because of the additional features like auto-leveling HID, climate control, leather, and the front grille actually looks better on the AWD. An added bonus for me is that the 2.4 engine feels very lively and powerful. I've driven the 2.0 and it was fine, but there's a part of me wanting a bit more. As for the FC, I've gathered from forums that it does 7-8km/L in the city. I also test drove one before and the FC computer returned 7.2km/L. That's good enough, but more would be better.

I've heard from someone who has vertigo that while the Fortuner's ride would make him vomit in less than a kilometer, the Montero's ride is fine for him. Still haven't felt it first hand though.

Tha Sorento and the Santa Fe are both really appealing to me. They both look good, and the engines are powerful. I've also heard from many that it's very comfortable. However, my first priority is reliability. Are they already as reliable as the Japanese counterparts? I have a 10-year old Honda Civic and it has been to Bacolod many many times (I'm from Cebu- 5 hour drive). It's been to Bantayan Island too. It even climbed an unpaved road up to a small mountain. I still use it everyday, and until now, only minor repairs have been done. That's the kind of reliability I want---need. Do these two have this kind of reliability? Especially when they get old?

Subaru Forester? I think only the 2.5T is worth getting. Way out of budget, and parts availability is questionable.

Actually thought of getting a 2003 Patrol (see my reply above), but I'm scared of the ZD30 engine issues especially since its a 10 year old car.

Also seriously considered getting a 2008 Camry. Test drove it and everything was great. But in the end we decided that we don't need a sedan since we already have the Civic. The Camry would not be happy going on long road trips on bumpy roads too.

I'm actually leaning towards the ladder-frame SUVs rather than the crossovers since we already have a small van which is a bit like a crossover already. Also the bigger SUVs will do better in floods, and in occasional out-of-town trips. But theres no denying that the ride is just better in the crossover.

As for the upgrades, I'll keep those in mind after buying. Which reminds me, that whatever car we get must have leather seats. No big deal since leather seat covers could always be added anyway.

If I may ask, since you do own both a Montero and CRV, could you compare the two when it comes to drivability? and maintenance?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by K.I.L.L. View Post
    How old is the oldest you'd want the car to be?
    We keep our cars for as long as it doesn't give too much headaches. We have a 12 year old car that's in a very good condition. Can still use it everyday and it's reliable. No plans of selling it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast