New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Hi Guys!

I'm about to buy my first car & I would like to ask for your expert opinion & experiences.

My choices are narrowed down between 2014 Toyota Altis 1.6 G (AT) VS 2014 Honda City 1.5 VX (AT).

I am aware that I'm comparing apples-to-lemons but I have test drove the Mazda 3, Elantra, & Vios and I have my reasons to eliminate them on my choices. All others (Sylphy, Civic, Accent, Jazz, ).

Here are my criteria:
    --
    1. comfort (driver) & handling
    2. fuel efficiency
    3. I intend to keep this 8-10 years.
    4. cheaper cost of ownership
    5. Looks

* I am a bachelor so cabin space is not much of a factor for me.... yet. Just for me and my gf to use.
    * 99% will be used for City Driving (Makati-MOA-Fort/BGC). Moderate-Heavy traffic I guess.

--- Based on my opinion & experience

2014 Toyota Altis 1.6 G - CVT * 935K ***Pros

- bigger, more space (compact vs sub-compact)
    - looks better than honda city, IMO
    - 1.6 engine & 7-speed CVT
    - better comfort & handling ?
    - cheaper maintenance ?
    - availability of parts
    - toyota corolla is tested & proven over time, so better mileage ?

2014 Honda City 1.5 VX - CVT * 880K ***Pros

- cheaper price
    - higher resale value ?
    - more fuel efficient ?
    - touch screen & built-in reverse camera
    - the metallic dark brown color really looks good!

Please help me choose masters.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    If you can afford the Toyota Corolla, get that one. It's more comfortable and safer. Fuel cost will be more expensive but maintenance of Toyota is cheaper than a Honda.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    maintenance costs? go toyota!
    resale value? go toyota!
    fuel expenses? honda has this one, if reviews are to be believed..
    ergonomics? ask your body, sir.

enjoy your new ride..

4. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    I own the current-gen Altis 1.6G AT, and unfortunately, I find my CRV cheaper to maintain than the Toyota. Because Honda only requires me to have the PMS every 10,000kms. While Toyota every 5,000kms. I just had my first PMS at Toyota C5 and it cost me almost 7k. My friend who had his CRV do the 10,000kms PMS mentioned that he only paid around 5k. The first 1,000kms too was free in Honda, while in Toyota, we had to pay for the parts already.

Another thing, we get discounts for being honda club members at honda marcos highway, while in Toyota even though I had been a longtime admin for RAV4clubph, not a single centavo of discount from them.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Just to add. The altis is already considered as a midsize sedan. Registration costs a lot more.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tsikot Car Forums mobile app

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sientobente View Post
    Just to add. The altis is already considered as a midsize sedan. Registration costs a lot more.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tsikot Car Forums mobile app
    What? The Altis, a midsize sedan? I am sorry but it's nowhere near the plush ride and power offered by the right midsize sedans (Accord, Mazda6, Legacy GT, Camry, Optima, Sonata). However, modern compacts are now weighing between 1200 to 1300 kg. Midsize sedans in the years between 1998 to 2002 are around 1300to 1400kg.

Sir sientobiente - if you don't mind, how much was your registration cost for your current-gen Altis? Midsize sedans starting 2001 had an LTO MVUC cost of 3600, plus other fees which usually bring up the annual LTO registration rate around 4500 (or a bit more). I paid almost 6000 when I registered my Accord last month and that includes TPL insurance and emission testing.

In this comparison, I would be leaning towards the Altis but the City VX is a good proposition. The new City has the internal space dimensions that's comparable already to some other compacts. Both are city cruisers and are not really associated with zippy ride and responsive handling. The City has proven thriftiness on fuel while the Altis is efficient for a compact. So, it's just a comparison of which is the more comfortable drive.
    Last edited by Egan101; November 8th, 2014 at 10:15 PM.

7. Join Date
    May 2014
    imho, in your 5 criteria, Altis wins it all.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    What? The Altis, a midsize sedan? I am sorry but it's nowhere near the plush ride and power offered by the right midsize sedans (Accord, Mazda6, Legacy GT, Camry, Optima, Sonata). However, modern compacts are now weighing between 1200 to 1300 kg. Midsize sedans in the years between 1998 to 2002 are around 1300to 1400kg.

Sir sientobiente - if you don't mind, how much was your registration cost for your current-gen Altis? Midsize sedans starting 2001 had an LTO MVUC cost of 3600, plus other fees which usually bring up the annual LTO registration rate around 4500 (or a bit more). I paid almost 6000 when I registered my Accord last month and that includes TPL insurance and emission testing.

In this comparison, I would be leaning towards the Altis but the City VX is a good proposition. The new City has the internal space dimensions that's comparable already to some other compacts. Both are city cruisers and are not really associated with zippy ride and responsive handling. The City has proven thriftiness on fuel while the Altis is efficient for a compact. So, it's just a comparison of which is the more comfortable drive.
    Yup, it is already categorized as such by LTO including the previous version. Forgot how much the registration was(toyota gave LTO for free) and a bit lazy to pick up the or/cr from the car, but I was basing this when I registered my sister's previous gen altis and we paid around 6k. Was surprised that registering our SUVs were cheaper than an Altis.

I am not putting down the Altis because again I own one.

But I sure do hate the maintenance costs by Toyota.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sientobente View Post
    Yup, it is already categorized as such by the LTO including the previous version. Forgot how much the registration was(toyota gave LTO for free) and a bit lazy to pick up the or/cr from the car, but I was basing this when I registered my sister's previous gen altis and we paid around 6k. Was surprised that registering our SUVs were cheaper than an Altis.

I am not putting down the Altis because again I own one.

But I sure do hate the maintenance costs by Toyota.
    is it possible, toyota charged you the LTO fees, plus lakad fee ekek...? na nagmukha tuloy na pang-midsize ang binayad mo?

10. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    is it possible, toyota charged you the LTO fees, plus lakad fee ekek...? na nagmukha tuloy na pang-midsize ang binayad mo?
    Nope sir, I didn't mind whatever LTO costs were charged to me on my Altis because Toyota covered it for the first 3 years. I was basing the registration cost on my sister's 2010 Altis 1.6 G AT which I registered early this year on her behalf and it was already categorized as a midsize sedan. I am now expecting that my own Altis will be charged the same.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast