New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    With the ongoing sale of kia i became very interested with these units. However i can only afford one. Heres my criteria of needs and some questions:

1.) Comfort car for long drives 2,000 kilometers (back and forth) of travel atlease 4x a month.

2.) Should be durable for my kind of usage.

3 ) fuel efficiency of 2.0 & 2.4 petrol vs 2.0 &1.7 diesel on long drives.

4.) Do you think the carens can make it through samar's notoriously bad road?

5.) Is it worth getting the 2.4AWD sportage vs the 2.0 theta AWD with the comsumption difference?

6.) Does the carens smallish engine has enough pulling power to go uphill easily?

Hope to get feedbacks here. TIA.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by UsernameTaken View Post
    With the ongoing sale of kia i became very interested with these units. However i can only afford one. Heres my criteria of needs and some questions:

1.) Comfort car for long drives 2,000 kilometers (back and forth) of travel atlease 4x a month.

2.) Should be durable for my kind of usage.

3 ) fuel efficiency of 2.0 & 2.4 petrol vs 2.0 &1.7 diesel on long drives.

4.) Do you think the carens can make it through samar's notoriously bad road?

5.) Is it worth getting the 2.4AWD sportage vs the 2.0 theta AWD with the comsumption difference?

6.) Does the carens smallish engine has enough pulling power to go uphill easily?

Hope to get feedbacks here. TIA.

The "smallish" diesel engine of the carens has waaaaaay waaaaaay more torque than the "bigger" 2.0 and 2.4 petrol engines of the sportage. (330 nm vs 230/200 (2.4/2.0)) Hint: variable geometry turbo.

I'd take the carens since the sportage will never be a 7 seater.

1. Carens for comfort
    2. Both are unibody units so durability should be at par.
    3. 2.0 and 2.4 petrol will give you 12+kms/liter on long provincial drives if conservatively driven. The 2.0 diesel won't go below 15 and the 1.7 won't go below 18 even on spirited driving. This is for pure long driving only. Also consider the differences in fuel costs.
    4. Been driving around samar too and sedans can already handle it so why not the carens?
    5. The consumption difference of the two petrol engines will matter in city traffic. On long hauls, both will yield almost the same in efficiency.
    6. See my statement above.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Double Post
    Last edited by UsernameTaken; March 3rd, 2014 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Double Post

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by k0mpressor View Post
    The "smallish" diesel engine of the carens has waaaaaay waaaaaay more torque than the "bigger" 2.0 and 2.4 petrol engines of the sportage. (330 nm vs 230/200 (2.4/2.0)) Hint: variable geometry turbo.

I'd take the carens since the sportage will never be a 7 seater.

1. Carens for comfort
    2. Both are unibody units so durability should be at par.
    3. 2.0 and 2.4 petrol will give you 12+kms/liter on long provincial drives if conservatively driven. The 2.0 diesel won't go below 15 and the 1.7 won't go below 18 even on spirited driving. This is for pure long driving only. Also consider the differences in fuel costs.
    4. Been driving around samar too and sedans can already handle it so why not the carens?
    5. The consumption difference of the two petrol engines will matter in city traffic. On long hauls, both will yield almost the same in efficiency.
    6. See my statement above.
    Thanks for the response. So basically the underpinnings of the sportage and carens are the same? What hinders me on the carens is its sedan like Ground clearance which is a hassle kapag sinasakay sa roro/barko. Other than that it is an excellent vehicle.

Have you been to samar/catbalogan lately.? Theres a Lot of roadworks.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by UsernameTaken View Post
    Thanks for the response. So basically the underpinnings of the sportage and carens are the same? What hinders me on the carens is its sedan like Ground clearance which is a hassle kapag sinasakay sa roro/barko. Other than that it is an excellent vehicle.

Have you been to samar/catbalogan lately.? Theres a Lot of roadworks.
    Kung Long Drive sa south, I would say go with Sportage due to high ground clearance.
    The last time I drove from Manila to Tacloban with a Santa Fe was in 2012 and the road works and rough road at Quezon and Naga were terrible that it is safe to have a higher ground clearance para di sasayad sa lubak and
    di ka sasayad sa pagsampa sa RORO sa may Matnog.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ground clearance has since been the Carens issue. It is about a sedan in height with perhaps a bit more overhangs. That would be something to consider, though it would be up to the TS to decide how high a factor this is on the list.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2014

sa kia sportage padin ako..mas maporma ang dating niya.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    If going for the Sportage CRDi, you might as well consider the Sorento 4x2 CRDi (5-seater). More cargo space and interior space than the Sportage or Carens.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Sir UsernameTaken, sorry OT, but whats the lowest price that you can get for the Sportage? Will it go under 1M?

My friend who drives one just recently drove going to Bicol and no complaints coming from him

10. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Sir UsernameTaken, sorry OT, but whats the lowest price that you can get for the Sportage? Will it go under 1M?

My friend who drives one just recently drove going to Bicol and no complaints coming from him