New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Good Day tsikoteers! Planning to purchase a new car this december and these three are my options. Pros and Cons for each would be great.

I'm actually leaning more on the Wigo AT kasi pasok sa budget but willing to stretch a bit more up to 560k basta automatic. pero sabi ng tito ko hindi daw maganda yung wigo because it only has 3 cylinders, which is not a problem to me. Pero wala naman masama kung makikinig sa iba. Hehehe. I know that the mirage has only 3 cylinders pero mas better daw because of the 1.2 displacement. Hyundai i10 not sure if 4 or 3 cylinders? Anyway hindi po Grand i10 yung tinutukoy ko ha. Hope you can help me decide.

And also another question power windows na po ba pati sa rear yung sa mirage and i10 na 2014???

Thank you po and more power.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    if you are wary of 3 cylinders, you might stretch your budget and get a basic vios, or basic honda brio...
    hyundai i10 has a 4 cylinder variant, but its price is already within the vios ballpark.

i shunned from the manual wigo, because my big feet kept bumping into each other. i got the AT instead.

another possibility is, get a slightly used 4 cylinder car. there are a lot of them priced below 500K.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tin06 View Post
    Good Day tsikoteers! Planning to purchase a new car this december and these three are my options. Pros and Cons for each would be great.

I'm actually leaning more on the Wigo AT kasi pasok sa budget but willing to stretch a bit more up to 560k basta automatic. pero sabi ng tito ko hindi daw maganda yung wigo because it only has 3 cylinders, which is not a problem to me. Pero wala naman masama kung makikinig sa iba. Hehehe. I know that the mirage has only 3 cylinders pero mas better daw because of the 1.2 displacement. Hyundai i10 not sure if 4 or 3 cylinders? Anyway hindi po Grand i10 yung tinutukoy ko ha. Hope you can help me decide.

And also another question power windows na po ba pati sa rear yung sa mirage and i10 na 2014???

Thank you po and more power.
    i dunno. but looks wise, i prefer the Wigo. Features wise, Mirage is better.
    Hyundai i10 has 4 cylinders, imho.
    Have you also looked at the Kia Picanto?

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    The Wigo is still a very appropriate car for people on a tight budget. For 500k you get a brand new car already with everything a newbie driver needs.

The Mirage for me is a better car but is also more expensive - if you can afford it, go for it. I'd get a Mirage GLX over a Wigo G, because it looks better (as long as you upgrade the hideous steel rims), is more efficient, and offers more performance.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App
    Last edited by jut703; October 28th, 2014 at 06:34 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    In the long run, the car with a 4 cylinder engine will always be the best choice.

Whatever that might be.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    In the long run, the car with a 4 cylinder engine will always be the best choice.

Whatever that might be.
    Why so? The inherent imbalance of a 3-cylinder for a 4-stroke cycle is usually countered by stronger engine mounts. In my experience with the Mirage, it's not at all bothersome when it comes to NVH. It just sounds different, but not any noisier than an ordinary 4-cylinder and still quieter than any diesel (even the ultra-quiet Hyundai R-eVGT).

In the long run, even if these mounts break down, they're not all that expensive to replace.

I think the benefits are greater than any drawbacks especially for use in minicars. 3-bangers are lighter, smaller, and with less internal friction. Production costs have also gone down considerably since volume has increased drastically over the past few years. Thanks to the advancement of 3-cylinder engines, efficient and affordable city cars like the Mirage will proliferate even more.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    ^

That is now. Very subjective, everything new and all that.

In the long run, we'll see.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    And that's always the difference between early adopters and those who wait for technology to mature.

Take CVT for example, when it first came to prominence in the 2000s, not everyone liked it, and with good reason (Honda CVT issues, poor performance, etc). But fast forward to today, CVTs are so mature that they're gonna drive out conventional automatics within the next decade.

I think the same has happened with 3-cylinder engines. Noone wanted to dabble with them previously because it was an inherently unbalanced layout. Now, they've overcome this disadvantage and are able to produce 3-cylinder cars that are cheaper, more efficient, and lighter than 4-cylinder cars.

Naysayers will always wait it out until it becomes so mainstream because of the risk of maintenance concerns in the future, but if nothing goes wrong, those who adopt early will get to enjoy the benefits of this new technology several years before anyone else does. With the stellar sales of the Wigo and Mirage, looks like the 3-cylinder is on the fast track to becoming a mainstay on our local roads.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i don't understand..
    if the 3 cylinder is unbalanced, shouldn't the 4 cylinder be even more unbalanced?
    and the inline 6, be even more unbalanced?
    and the air-cooled VW boxer engine should be balanced?
    somehow, i think the explanation of "unbalanced" still is waiting to be explained to us laymen..

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i don't understand..
    if the 3 cylinder is unbalanced, shouldn't the 4 cylinder be even more unbalanced?
    and the inline 6, be even more unbalanced?
    and the air-cooled VW boxer engine should be balanced?
    somehow, i think the explanation of "unbalanced" still is waiting to be explained to us laymen..
    Maybe this can help doc: http://jalopnik.com/why-2014-will-be...p-b-1509972833

Basically, because there are 4-strokes but only 3 cylinders, it isn't balanced. For a 4-cylinder, each cylinder is in one of the 4 strokes of the cycle (intake, compression, power, exhaust).

In other words, 4-bangers have inherently less vibration than 3-cylinder engines.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast