New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    I am planning to get an SUV and is currently considering the 2.0S Honda CRV and the 2.0i Subaru Forester, both are within the same price range (Php1.4M).

I'm really confused and would appreciate help. The CRV has a really nice interior and has additional features (leather seats, i-MID). On the other hand, the Forester is already 4WD, has better visibility, and has better fuel economy.

Some questions I have in mind are:
    Which one is easier and more comfortable to drive, and can handle Manila's terrain better?
    Is a 4WD really easier to drive when it comes to turns and corners?
    Which one is likely to have a higher resale value?
    Is the Forester's maintenance cost much higher than a CRV's?
    If you were to choose, which one would you get?

Other SUVs I'm considering are:
    Subaru XV - I really like the exterior and was the primary reason why I considered a Subaru. I just felt that with a few more thousand pesos, I can get much more in a Forester?
    Fortuner Gas - I prefer gas over diesel. I enjoy the height and the touch screen AV. Price is less than the Forester and CRV. Concern is the fuel consumption.
    Tucson - The price of the GL is much lower so I can save a lot (though I'm also considering the GLS). However, I'm not too sure of the durability and reliability
    Rav4 - Seems overpriced as the base model (Php1.4m) lacks a lot of features compared to the Forester and CRV for the same price point
    Montero - Not too keen as I prefer gas over diesel. Plus, they don't offer a test drive anymore so I can't determine if I like the driving comfort.

Thanks a lot in advance for the response!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    I don't have the current gen forester, but I was in the same predicament prior to getting my SH. I was also looking at the CRV back then.

More comfortable to drive or cruise in would be CRV. I also like the current CRV's interior compared to the forester, it is indeed very nice. The Forester has better driving dynamics. I also find my forester on the stiff side compared to the CRV. Feedback from forumers also mention that the 2014 foz has a more stiffer suspension, so there. Handling manila terrain? I'd get a ladder frame if durability was the question. I cringe and curse at Pnoy everytime I drive through a pothole. But if I were a passenger, I'd prefer to ride the CRV.

AWD, must be why the foz is great at handling. I like it running at highway speeds. CRV's steering, more for relaxed driving IMO.

Resale value, Toyota and Honda have it in their bags unless something stellar happens in the next coming years.

No idea about how much a CRV maintenance costs but Subaru parts are more difficult to come by compared to Honda.

If I would have a chance to buy a CUV now, I'd get the forester. Biased =)

Consider your needs sir as you'd probably cross out the XV when you need space. I don't like the headroom in the XV, it feels very cramped for a crossover. The CX5 is better compared to this IMO.

Wouldn't get a gas fed fortuner if you're concerned with resale value. The Tucson, was one of my choices also but I didn't like the lack of the control on GL crdi's instrument cluster lighting. Too bright for night driving. I think the GLS has this one though. Reliability, I haven't heard any first hand bad experiences from friends and acquaintances . They're happy with their rides.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Calistro View Post
    I don't have the current gen forester, but I was in the same predicament prior to getting my SH. I was also looking at the CRV back then.

More comfortable to drive or cruise in would be CRV. I also like the current CRV's interior compared to the forester, it is indeed very nice. The Forester has better driving dynamics. I also find my forester on the stiff side compared to the CRV. Feedback from forumers also mention that the 2014 foz has a more stiffer suspension, so there. Handling manila terrain? I'd get a ladder frame if durability was the question. I cringe and curse at Pnoy everytime I drive through a pothole. But if I were a passenger, I'd prefer to ride the CRV.

AWD, must be why the foz is great at handling. I like it running at highway speeds. CRV's steering, more for relaxed driving IMO.

Resale value, Toyota and Honda have it in their bags unless something stellar happens in the next coming years.

No idea about how much a CRV maintenance costs but Subaru parts are more difficult to come by compared to Honda.

If I would have a chance to buy a CUV now, I'd get the forester. Biased =)

Consider your needs sir as you'd probably cross out the XV when you need space. I don't like the headroom in the XV, it feels very cramped for a crossover. The CX5 is better compared to this IMO.

Wouldn't get a gas fed fortuner if you're concerned with resale value. The Tucson, was one of my choices also but I didn't like the lack of the control on GL crdi's instrument cluster lighting. Too bright for night driving. I think the GLS has this one though. Reliability, I haven't heard any first hand bad experiences from friends and acquaintances . They're happy with their rides.
    Thanks a lot for the comprehensive response. It's comforting to know that someone had the same predicament. How's the after sales service of Subaru? Where do you have your Forester serviced?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    I can only compare Subaru after sales with Toyota since it was the only experience we had prior to this one. I have a SA friend in Toyota though so the old family car was really taken care of. As for Subaru, no complains yet. I've had services done in Greenhills, BGC and Alabang. Preference would be the latter two as they have better space for service compared to Greenhills heheh.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Which one is easier and more comfortable to drive, and can handle Manila's terrain better?

The CR-V has better ride comfort. The Forester has better visibility. Both are more than adequate for city use.

AWD gives you better traction when accelerating while turning, and the extra weight over the rear axle makes AWD cars feel more centered in turns... but that's only if you're comparing AWD to FWD on the exact same car. In my experience, the CR-V with FWD handles fairly well, and you won't notice the lack of AWD. Not unless you're doing rallying or dirt racing... which you won't be doing in a crossover.

Personally, I've never seen the point in AWD for cars with less than 200 horsepower. You won't feel the limits of FWD unless your car has enough power to break the tires loose when accelerating, which neither of theses cars does. FWD is sufficient for most occassions, and like AWD, is completely safe in slippery conditions.

Both have decent resale, though I'd give it to the CR-V.

Whichever suits you better. Both are capable, have good space (CR-V has the better rear seat and trunk) and good clearance. The Fozzie has better flood fording capability (though not as good as some diesels). Both get relatively good fuel economy... the Fozzie's CVT allows it to match the CR-V in mixed driving, though I'd give it to the CR-V in traffic.

-

Subaru XV - excellent to drive.
    Fortuner Gas - Not much worse than the 2.5s, really, but if you're getting a Fort, forget getting the 2.7. Go ahead and get a diesel. It'll pay dividends in running costs and resale down the road.
    Tucson - They're not bad. A bit cramped compared to the Fozzie or CR-V.
    Rav4 - Have yet to drive this long distance. Nice enough, actually, though I like the CR-V and Fozzie a bit better.
    Montero - More comfortable than the Fort, but not by much, anymore, as Toyota has softened the suspension a bit. A bit crude and truckish compared to your other choices. And the only gas engine is the V6... which is la-wheeeee!-la! fun, but do you really want a V6 ladder-frame truck and the fuel bills associated with it?
    Last edited by niky; January 9th, 2014 at 05:19 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    [

Sir Niky, curious lang ako bakit excellent to drive un XV para sa inyo. Better than the CX5? Objective un review nyo ng XV sa TGph site :D

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Calistro View Post
    Sir Niky, curious lang ako bakit excellent to drive un XV para sa inyo. Better than the CX5? Objective un review nyo ng XV sa TGph site :D
    I like the way the CX-5 drives better. Some reviewers actually prefer the XV. Matter of taste lang.

Both cars, in 2.0 form, have a nice, supple ride and are easy to drive. The XV doesn't have the same level of response from the steering and transmission as the CX5, but it has a very "centered" feel.

That's because it's basically an Impreza hatchback with a tall suspension... so it drives like a hatch... very nimble. The CX-5 is also very car-like, but it's a true crossover, and feels like it. But even though it has a higher center of gravity than the XV, it still has fantastic steering. There's no denying the XV feels more planted though.

The choice between them, in the end, is a matter of taste. ;) Like I said, I prefer the way the CX-5 2.0 drives. ;)

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

The CR-V has better ride comfort. The Forester has better visibility. Both are more than adequate for city use.

AWD gives you better traction when accelerating while turning, and the extra weight over the rear axle makes AWD cars feel more centered in turns... but that's only if you're comparing AWD to FWD on the exact same car. In my experience, the CR-V with FWD handles fairly well, and you won't notice the lack of AWD. Not unless you're doing rallying or dirt racing... which you won't be doing in a crossover.

Personally, I've never seen the point in AWD for cars with less than 200 horsepower. You won't feel the limits of FWD unless your car has enough power to break the tires loose when accelerating, which neither of theses cars does. FWD is sufficient for most occassions, and like AWD, is completely safe in slippery conditions.

Both have decent resale, though I'd give it to the CR-V.

Whichever suits you better. Both are capable, have good space (CR-V has the better rear seat and trunk) and good clearance. The Fozzie has better flood fording capability (though not as good as some diesels). Both get relatively good fuel economy... the Fozzie's CVT allows it to match the CR-V in mixed driving, though I'd give it to the CR-V in traffic.

-

Fortuner Gas - Not much worse than the 2.5s, really, but if you're getting a Fort, forget getting the 2.7. Go ahead and get a diesel. It'll pay dividends in running costs and resale down the road.
    Tucson - They're not bad. A bit cramped compared to the Fozzie or CR-V.
    Rav4 - Have yet to drive this long distance. Nice enough, actually, though I like the CR-V and Fozzie a bit better.
    Montero - More comfortable than the Fort, but not by much, anymore, as Toyota has softened the suspension a bit. A bit crude and truckish compared to your other choices. And the only gas engine is the V6... which is la-wheeeee!-la! fun, but do you really want a V6 ladder-frame truck and the fuel bills associated with it?
    Thanks a lot, Sir niky! When I test drove the CR-V the thing I noticed is after a turn, parang hindi agad bumabalik yung steering wheel unless ibalik ko talaga (unlike in the Fozzie na bumabalik agad and on its own pag binitawan). Sabi ng agent kailangan lang i-lubricate and pag bago talaga hindi ganun ka easy ang balik ng steering wheel. I wonder if this is really the case for the CR-V or one off lang yung natest drive ko na unit (it was a new 4x2).

I'm also considering the Rav4 now and was just wondering if you or anyone can compare the riding comfort of the CR-V vs. Rav4. Thanks!

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Have never noticed any problems. While it's true, the self-centering effect isn't really all that strong, it's something you get used to.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Let me throw you a bit of a curve ball. I'm also in the market for an SUV, but I put a premium on diesel over gas. Since you were also keen on the Tucson, its sportier and hot looking sibling, the Kia Sportage, has a very interesting offer. For the top of the line (AWD, 2.4L theta II engine, all leather, panoramic sun roof, cruise control, 18" 50 thickness tires, etc.), P380,000 to 400,000 discount is the offer, knocking down price from P1.7m to P1.3-1.335M. Winner ito.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App