New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Hi guys. Would like to hear your opinion/s regarding these two suv's. Which one would you choose? Saw the 2013 Kia sorento at a local dealer near us. It is the "stripped down" version I believe with no fogs, roof racks etc. Do you think it's a better buy over the non Vgt Montero?

2. Join Date
    May 2010
    Of course the Sorento is much better. It's more car.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    montero ako, rear wheel drive, may issue yata sa fwd ang sorento- just my opinion if i were to choose, comfy na din ang ride ng montero(yes yes the kia is much comfy)

but look around despite the near price match of both many are choosing the montero, real value for money(yes yes different league kia 5 seater montero 7 seater)

engine wise... mitsubishi has my trust, THEY MIGHT USE THE OLD ENGINE BUT IT IS ALREADY DURABLE AND STAND THE TEST OF TIME

sana walang kumupal ng thread na ito ulit.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Sorento gets my vote kahit stripped down version pa yan. Para din itong santa fe vs montero thread dito na ang santa fe is in a different league kaysa sa montero. Ganun din ang sorento vs montero for me.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by victorevolution View Post
    sana walang kumupal ng thread na ito ulit.
    Pag Sorento ba yung boto, kupal na?

As with any comparison, the "better buy" for you is the car that suits your needs more. The Montero, being a truck in fancy clothes, has a more rugged chassis that could take more abuse than the car-based Sorento. Obviously, it also seats more because of the 3rd row. A bit more toys too compared to the bare Sorento. Overall, the better workhorse. Not necessarily the better family car, unless you've got a big family that could use the 3rd row seats often.

The Sorento, on the other hand, has a much more potent engine (that doesn't belch smoke whenever you bury the throttle). Also, because it isn't a truck, it handles corners much better than the Montero. Despite the smaller profile from the outside, the Sorento's more spacious whether you're in front or in the second row (the Montero is narrow, and the ladder-on-frame chassis isn't very space efficient). Also, it rides much better (again, car vs truck). Pretty bare though, but fog lamps go a long way in improving how it looks. As a personal aside, the rims of the facelifted version look too small for the body, and I'd really prefer the old one (if only they were still available).

Long story short, if I were to choose, it'd definitely be the Sorento. I would prefer power, handling and comfort over 2 extra seats, toys (that you can add on later) and the truck chassis.

Now, as to why more people buy Monteros, it's pretty simple: not everyone cares about power (you'd be surprised how many people don't even know the concept of horsepower), a lot of people see more seats as better value, and when it comes to SUVs, Mitsubishi has better brand perception than Kia.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    I'm gonna based this on my personal experience.

I had my Sorento for about 9 months now and i've driven the Montero of my BIL more than a couple of times already.
    The difference is night and day. I'm more confident driving the Sorento than the bigger Monty. Softer ride and handling, and quite stylish too.
    Easier to manuever in roads cause its smaller footprint, and not that hard on gas.

So yeah, if you need to haul 7 pax you might be leaning toward Monty route, but if not, get the korean SUV.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    kung nakatira kayo sa bundok or kailangan tumawid ng ilog araw araw mas mag survive ang montero kasi mas rigid yung design ng under chassis nyan.. pero kung typical pinoy within metro manila with occassional out of town trips mag sorento ka na...

maganda ang montero sa labas pero sa loob ang sikip... kasi designed yan para sa 4 x 4 setup.. kaya kung 4 x 2 lang kukunin mo wag na lang kasi ang purpose talaga nyan montero eh off road kaya dapat 4x4..

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    mismatch uli

Santa Fe vs Montero: Santa Fe wins
    Sorento vs Montero: Sorento wins

Montero vs Alterra vs Fortuner talaga ang magkakalaban pasok DMAC!
    Last edited by Syuryuken; May 28th, 2013 at 02:22 PM.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Pag Sorento ba yung boto, kupal na?

As with any comparison, the "better buy" for you is the car that suits your needs more. The Montero, being a truck in fancy clothes, has a more rugged chassis that could take more abuse than the car-based Sorento. Obviously, it also seats more because of the 3rd row. A bit more toys too compared to the bare Sorento. Overall, the better workhorse. Not necessarily the better family car, unless you've got a big family that could use the 3rd row seats often.

The Sorento, on the other hand, has a much more potent engine (that doesn't belch smoke whenever you bury the throttle). Also, because it isn't a truck, it handles corners much better than the Montero. Despite the smaller profile from the outside, the Sorento's more spacious whether you're in front or in the second row (the Montero is narrow, and the ladder-on-frame chassis isn't very space efficient). Also, it rides much better (again, car vs truck). Pretty bare though, but fog lamps go a long way in improving how it looks. As a personal aside, the rims of the facelifted version look too small for the body, and I'd really prefer the old one (if only they were still available).

Long story short, if I were to choose, it'd definitely be the Sorento. I would prefer power, handling and comfort over 2 extra seats, toys (that you can add on later) and the truck chassis.

Now, as to why more people buy Monteros, it's pretty simple: not everyone cares about power (you'd be surprised how many people don't even know the concept of horsepower), a lot of people see more seats as better value, and when it comes to SUVs, Mitsubishi has better brand perception than Kia.
    check out the sta. fe or montero thread

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Syuryuken View Post
    mismatch uli

Santa Fe vs Montero: Sata Fe wins
    Sorento vs Montero: Sorento wins

Montero vs Alterra vs Fortuner talaga ang magkakalaban pasok DMAC!
    this is what im referring too

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast