New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Hi guys, im currently looking at maybe getting a new car to replace an aging 06 focus 2.0. Ive narrowed down the choices to these two. Id just like to hear your opinions on it.

Focus:
    Great looking car
    Great Interior (for me anyway, i like the cockpit style)
    Luxury "feel" (for a compact)
    Decent? FC (8-9km/l in medium traffic?)

Accent:
    Decent to good looking car
    Decent interior. would be nice to have a screen instead of that dated looking jvc radio
    Well, it really is a subcompact, so it feels like a subcompact (not in terms of space, its pretty spacy actually)
    Absolutely great FC (im hearing 14+km/l ranges even in heavy traffic conditions)
    Super economical
    Great power even at lower rpms

Ive test driven the 1.6 ford already, feels pretty good, brakes are really strong and it feels a bit more spritely (even though i hear people saying the 1.6 is underpowered for the weight). Hopefully i get to test drive the accent soon.

So what do you guys think? Looking at all the considerations like cost of ownership, cost of actually buying the unit, drive comfort, feel and enjoyment, how the local dealers and CASAs are, build quality, safety etc etc etc. My usual route is actually just a short drive with about decent/small traffic as my schedule is basically off the beaten track. (santolan at 1:30pm). Of course i also have to put into consideration other off the routine events and that i plan to keep this a bit long term (3-5yrs maybe) so things can change (like a longer route) and how are these cars in terms of reliability during that time. I know these cars are relatively new so even opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Focus is much, much nicer, but the engine is just way undersized for the car. In traffic, it will probably hit 6 or 7 km/l where a Lancer 1.6 or Elantra 1.6 would hit 7 or 8.

The Accent is definitely more practical. Not as nice, but nice enough for the money, and the engine makes up for many, many sins...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Would you say its underpowered even just used as a daily commuter? Would you pay that 1kml extra for what others may say a more "premium and fun" drive of a focus? Also are those figures in heavy traffic?

Yeah i definitely realize that the accent is more practical. In truth, i only even considered it because i saw the engine, its definitely cheaper to run though supposedly its a bit more expensive to maintain? 8kml at 51 vs 14 kml at 43

Im eyeing the lower end amb-ien-te (lol it wouldnt let me post the name) which has the electronic handling which supposedly can save about 1 mpg or about half a click per liter. dunno why they put hydro on the trend as even the top end models use the electronic

I guess it really boils down to luxury or practicality huh? Would you say that the focus is safer to drive though?

Thanks for the reply!

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Since you own a Focus 2.0 - the only natural progression is another Focus, or downgrade to Fiesta which at least has the same excellent chassis dynamics. The Accent CRDi may have better acceleration from full stop and fuel economy but the suspension, handling and NVH suppression is suspect or at least will be equal or inferior to the Elantra which is inferior to the Focus in these areas. Besides eventually the future maintenance/repair of CRDi engines will offset the fuel savings - just ask those who have had to replace their busted turbos or fuel injectors.

Having test driven all the local variants ... My favorite Focus is the Ambiente MT sedan because it's the cheapest and actually the easiest to adapt to (assuming you know how to drive stick) - it is also the simplest and thankfully doesn't have the confusing profusion of buttons on the steering wheel. It is definitely more responsive than the AT version and one of the best MT cars to drive in the segment. I am guessing that its pedestrian clutch pack is much cheaper to replace than the dual clutch too, The main downside of course is its a sedan, but ... it's still one of the better looking ones out there. The wheels need to be replaced but at least you can choose wheels that look better than the so-so ones on the Trend. In terms of japorms - there is no question the Sport hatch is the ***iest but its pretty 17 inchers and sporty suspension are actually not ideal for our ugly roads. The Titanium model is best in terms of refinement and luxury, maybe its the posh leather but it felt really smooth and creamy.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The hydraulic steering on the Trend is a whole lot better than the electric steering on the Sport. I actually wish they'd kept it on the Sport variant... as that is the car it's more suited to.

I'd say go for the Ambiente, too, if you don't mind spending a little extra for fuel... the Focus definitely beats the Accent in the comfort, refinement and handling department... but bear in mind you're paying for the extra luxury in fuel costs down the line.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Yeah, i dont think theres any doubt that itll be more expensive fuel wise.
    I guess it boils down to luxury vs practicality.
    Im actually a bit confused now. Some brochures indicate that the amb-i-en-te is electric, trend is hydro and sport is electric.
    Website states that only the sport is electric.

Im not really a good MT driver so i guess thats out of the question for me. A bit of a side question, bigger wheels = less fuel efficiency and less riding comfort? Yeah, the steel rims are probably one of the things ill replace down the line i suppose.

I was actually able to get inside the titanium, it really did feel super premium, surprising given its segment.

BTW, how big of a difference was it driving the 2.0 vs the 1.6, and the EPAS and the HPAS?

Thanks!

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If you've never driven the previous Focus or a Mazda Miata, you won't really notice. The EPAS of the Focus isn't bad. It's one of the better ones in the segment, actually. But the "feel" is quite different, and if you drive them back-to-back, you'll definitely be able to tell. I was surprised when we did the test drive for Top Gear Philippines | TopGear.com.ph , the steering on the 1.6 Trend felt better than I remembered the 2.0 steering to be from Car of the Year. It felt so different that I had to check the spec sheet, and that's when I found out that they used different systems.

Most people probably won't notice it or mind, and yes, EPAS does save you some fuel. ;)

8. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Actually the lighter feeling of EPAS might be preferable to most people and it makes the otherwise heavy car feel lighter than it is. If anything at least its not as light as say, Hyundai electric steering which initially feels like games console steering.

The Focus Sport and Ti with the 2.0 GDI engines have a better power to weight ratio than the 1.6 Ambiente and Trend so they feel more effortless and relaxed, accelerating quicker and maintaining speed easier. I'm sure either 2.0 cars do 0-100kph in less than 10 secs while the 1.6s probably takes 11 to 12 secs to get to the same speed. Not really a significant difference in urban conditions (where it is nearly even impossible to sprint to 100 given the absurd 60kph limits) but the 2.0 require less pedal input to get going from full stop and/or to overtake. Personally, I think the 2.0 is the more ideal engine for the Focus' weight but the 1.6 is pretty good - it is pretty much on par with the other 1.6 engines from other brands, and having slightly worse fuel economy is not a deal breaker, and it should at least return better mileage than your second gen Focus.

Bigger wheels = more mass to rotate = more metal / less rubber / less air = less comfort/compliance = bigger contact patch = more traction = more rolling resistance = less fuel economy. Bigger wheels and tires are also much more expensive, and much easier to damage. Looking good has a lot of compromises - make sure you know the consequences. If you ask me ... stick to 16" unless you can afford to easily replace blown out low profile tires and taco-ed alloys (and later suspension parts too). Otherwise they will make you drive slower and more carefully, more conservatively ... which defeat the real purpose of the bigger wheels (and a fun to drive car).

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Well, official testing for PCOTY puts the 2.0 at 9.5 - 9.7 seconds to 100 km/h, but those are "green" engines with two on board... driver alone with a broken-in engine might be around 9 flat. Not as quick as the diesel, but that's because you can't "peel out". From a roll, it certainly feels as quick as the diesel variant... less torque but more revs.

The 1.6 feels like a 12 second car. I agree, though, that it should be okay in the city... as it feels rather peppy in the first three gears. You only notice the lack of power when overtaking on the highway.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Should be ok then, since i rarely do highway driving, and even if i did, its your occasional edsa-slex to paranque route, not really very high speed runs.

I guess need to ask the SA whats what really, if the trend is really the only one with HPAS. Wierd that they have different spec sheets all over the place. Cant comment on the differences though since i was only able to test drive the trend, which is HPAS, and even then i already thought the car felt lighter (my sister who actually owned and drove my current focus for several years commented the same thing). Im just looking forward to the fuel savings if thats the case (might match the 2.0's then?)

So the 16's are the ideal tire size for the focus eh? Well at least that might make it cheaper to replace the stock steel ones since maybe ill be able to keep the tires?

Between the two, which would you guys preferrably pick? (or compared to any of the other compacts out there: mazda3, civic, altis, cruze, etc)

Thank you for the helpful replies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast