New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post
    ^ Interesting sidenote that a cvt isn't as "frugal" as a trad a/t tranny as it's thought out (or marketed out) to be.

Sent from my RMX3690 using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    I live in the middle of 2 CBDs so my daily drive is often rush hour traffic. For my use case, any car will have poor mileage.

My Fortuner does 7 km/L in the same route. Pinakamatipid na was my sister’s MT Vios before, 9 km/L.

With that same 1.8 Civic with a CVT, I’ve done 23 km/L on highway driving multiple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    In relation to what jut said, per my own experience with CVT, benefits of CVT when in stop and go traffic is negligible to barely noticeable at all.

Reason I believe this to be the case is that CVT mainly benefits in trying to go to the optimal ratio and lowest rpm for the speed you are requiring. But in the beginning "Burst" it will rev up before settling down to "optimum".

Problem with stop and go traffic is you'll always slow to a stop, repeat the process of revving up as it searches everytime for the optimal rpm for your speed. So, unless you are able to coast more frequently, there really is barely any difference that will results in the CVT vs AT. Other than the compact nature of the CVT I guess. So maybe there is some weight saving there, but I don't think the difference would be in the region of an adult's average weight. hehe!

So, if you really are always in stop and go traffic, might actually be more beneficial to go for a hybrid, EV, or a smaller more "efficient engine" for a properly weighted car (not like say the Nissan 1.3L AT Sentra they sold here. Those were not efficient at all. hehe!).
    This is true. No transmission can make up for a higher displacement engine in stop and go traffic.

This is where EVs will be a big help. I seriously like the Ioniq 5 that was recently launched here. Performance of a Civic RS but does the equivalent of 25-30 km/L in mostly highway driving conditions. Even when I was crawling in Seoul rush hour traffic it was still doing the equivalent of ~15 km/L.

3. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    This is true. No transmission can make up for a higher displacement engine in stop and go traffic.

This is where EVs will be a big help. I seriously like the Ioniq 5 that was recently launched here. Performance of a Civic RS but does the equivalent of 25-30 km/L in mostly highway driving conditions. Even when I was crawling in Seoul rush hour traffic it was still doing the equivalent of ~15 km/L.

As EVs are still priced impractically here, I do wonder, are there now Altis Hybrids being sold in the 2nd hand market as it has been 3years (launched around Sept 2019) since we got it locally. hehe! What would be the depreciated cost as of now.

Going back, I think it should be fine to really consider (more) the Altis, especially at it is, at least, the Dual Vvti engine design, not the carry over Vvti from the previous generation which was not as responsive (for me) when it was carried over from the previous generation Altis when it first launched. Family still owns a 2009 1.6 Altis A/T of the same generation but with Single VVti. It is okay and in stop and go traffic (which is where it is mainly used) it just averages around 7 to 7.5km/l only. It is quite simple to maintain being 12 years old with no major repairs needed. It is under 90,000kms on the odometer. hehe!

I guess the only change we did was shift from 91 Ron to 95 Ron as it seemed like the age of the vehicle made it less responsive so we shifted it to 95 RON (personal choice). But, as we are only using it for service coding car backup, the throttle body easily "cakes" up in 2 years due to low speeds (or rpms) and short trips. So I just do some hard acceleration in short bursts from 0 to 60kph hard acceleration early morning weekends to remove some shudders that pop up from time to time. If it doesn't work, I last had throttle body cleaning done for 800php last 2021 at Unioil West Avenue as they have the chemical cleaner on hand. Shell doesn't. hehe!

4. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    I have a Toyota Altis 2.0 2011 year model. I am getting 9.1km/L city driving (max) with less traffic in this post pandemic period.
    But pre-pandemic in going to the office I can get around 8.9km/L (max) with minimal rush hour traffic (mid morning and late nights).
    I average around 8.5km/L in most city driving conditions though. Depende na lang din talaga sa driving habits mo.
    These are onboard computations, not full tank method. But from experience, it varies by no more than 0.5km/L naman, plus or minus.

When I first got this car, I can't get past 6.5km/L and I thought ganun yata talaga pag mga nasa 2.0L na.
    But it probably learned that from its previous lady owner. Company car siya so wala siguro pakialam sa gas consumption.
    When I changed the battery, na-reset na siguro and then it learned my econo driving habits already kaya tumipid na siya.
    Tap tap lang kahit coming from a stop. Then when accelerating I don't let it go past 2,500rpm or so.
    Then cruising na lang between 60~80kph at 1,800rpm or less. I have my AC at 27deg. and no fog light use. Load din yun.

I have used my brother's Honda Civic 1.8 before also (already sold long time ago) .
    It's a high revving machine and it feels like nothing happens unless you really step on the gas.
    I can't remember its fuel consumption now but I feel that it consumes more due to the high revs.

The Altis has more creature comforts as compared to the Civic, also given their age difference.
    The Altis has keyless ignition, automatic headlights w/ remote beam adjust, power seat and windows,
    CVT with manual gearshift and paddle shifters, power side mirrors, remote lock with alarm, remote trunk,
    rear seat cup holders, built in rear sunshade, lighted vanity mirrors and glove tray, automatic wipers, etc.
    Since these are for the 2011 model, you can check which of these are offered in the 2010 model.
    Or, if you can stretch further and you really like the 10.5 gen aesthetics, look for fresh 2011~2012 ones.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    share ko lang. galing ako sa toyota kanina. 2 engine na lang pala available sa corolla. 1.6hybrid at 1.6 na gaaoline.

wala na 1.8 at 2.0

6. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by babkalakal View Post
    share ko lang. galing ako sa toyota kanina. 2 engine na lang pala available sa corolla. 1.6hybrid at 1.6 na gaaoline.

wala na 1.8 at 2.0
    The Hybrid engine is still displaced 1.8 liters according to this Corolla Altis brochure.

Showroom - Toyota Corolla Altis - Sedan | Toyota Philippines Official

1,798 cc = 1.8L

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thearsenal1205 View Post
    The Hybrid engine is still displaced 1.8 liters according to this Corolla Altis brochure.

1,798 cc = 1.8L

sorry my bad eyes. 1.8l nga. i was reading from a photocopied brochure lang

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thearsenal1205 View Post

1,798 cc = 1.8L
    why does the 1.8 have lower output and torque than the 1.6 ?

9. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    why does the 1.8 have lower output and torque than the 1.6 ?
    2ZR-FXE is an Atkinson cycle engine

10. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    I think hybrids are less powerful than their pure internal combustion counterparts (for now).
    The technology's not that advanced yet for these "mestizo" engines.

I wonder how robust these things are for our bad roads/driving conditions.
    -More complex, more things to break/fix.
    -I wouldn't be surprised if designed din yan for dealer dependence (puro special tools needed) so it might rule out DIY PMS, but that's the way the world is moving, the individual has no choice but to adapt.

In my opinion, while electric & hybrid vehicles may reduce one form of pollution from burning fossil fuels, I feel they may be just replacing it with another form- for example, how "green" would those batteries and electric components be?

Maraming tanong.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast