New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    here's another problem for the gtr, the msrp is only $75,000 but if you can find one in the dealer that's actually only $75,000 good luck. the dealers mark up the price up to $120,000. my brother was supposed to buy one, luckily i was able to convince him to buy the c63 instead. why have only a track car when you can have the best of both worlds? here's the thing how many of us actually pushes their car to it's limits all the time? none right, i had an 05sti and barely brought it to the track i'd go to twisty roads every week and only bring the car to the track once a month. the only reason i would buy a gtr is if i'm rich and go to the track a lot. pero if i only go to the track once a month and use it daily i'd choose the c63 over any of those car. and yes the gtr is a true supercar, but i haven't seen a japanese car who can combine performance and luxury together like a euro car can.

* roberto: the zr-1 is a very respectable car, it's a true drivers car you'd have to be a really good driver to push it to it's limits. unlike the gtr that has so much electronics, it will make anyone look like a pro driver. and yes i agree that the zr-1 is overpriced. but i'd still choose a zr-1 over a gtr because i like to be the one controlling the car and telling it what to do, the gtr feels like it's telling you what to do which lessens the fun factor when driving a car.

* niky: Yeah the GTR is fast and looks nice... but you can get a better looking C63 for less and give a GTR a good challenge. Straight line GTR has it, But unlocking the C63 engine to full 550HP the C63 will give the GTR trouble. also, the feeling you get when in the AMG cockpit will blow away the plastic feel you get when you're in a Nissan. Craftsmanship is just way better in the benz. oh and the those 3 cars isn't a luxury car to who ever said that, it's a pure performance car with a great luxurious interior.

While both cars are fast, the GTR is certainly faster.
    BUT, drive the c63, m3, is-f and you'd be able to show up at a drag track on one night, and at a formal gala the next night and still be able to fit in well in both environments. The GTR will fit right in at the track or at a hot rod meet, but will be akward driving up to your next business meeting in.

If I was nineteen and want to impress my buddies and kill everything else on the block, I'll take the GTR.
    If I was a young profesional looking for a fast yet classy car, the C63, m3, is-f will fit my needs better.

Buy the GTR is you want to impress your friends. Buy the c63,m3, is-f if you want to impress the girls and every one else. They don't care how fast a Nissan is, they just see the pointed stars on a Mercedes, the logo of the bimmer, and the badgo of the is-f.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    But you gotta give credit to Nissan for kicking everyone else's asses. One thing about my character is I hate the idea of cars/bikes to impress girls. So I'd take a barebones racecar anytime.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterx View Post
    They don't care how fast a Nissan is, they just see the pointed stars on a Mercedes, the logo of the bimmer, and the badgo of the is-f.
    :hysterical:

I wouldn't mind buying a NISSAN if it can outrun most of the cars around, including your lovely mercedes.

And, driving my own GTR on a business meeting wouldn't be awkward, at all. And I don't really know why do you find it as such. It's a 7M sports car.

And, if you just look at the badge of the vehicle itself and not on it's specs then ... no wonder why a puny NISSAN cannot fascinate you.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    There's one thing I noticed about the car preferences of my cousins in the US...there's still the "it's still Japanese!" (or Korean) stigma around these cars. It's a lot like the "Pajero as a status symbol" thing going on for decades here in the Philippines. They care a lot about the image they project, so they purposely avoid acquiring a car with the Asian stigma (or even the "ricer" stigma) of being inferior compared to what they like to term as "domestics".

Therefore, to some folks in the US, a $75,000 Japanese car just seems to be purely ludicrous. Overpriced is a matter of perspective.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    i'll get the car that gets me more ***ytime with the ladies

6. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto_minosa View Post
    There's one thing I noticed about the car preferences of my cousins in the US...there's still the "it's still Japanese!" (or Korean) stigma around these cars. It's a lot like the "Pajero as a status symbol" thing going on for decades here in the Philippines. They care a lot about the image they project, so they purposely avoid acquiring a car with the Asian stigma (or even the "ricer" stigma) of being inferior compared to what they like to term as "domestics".

Therefore, to some folks in the US, a $75,000 Japanese car just seems to be purely ludicrous. Overpriced is a matter of perspective.

this is true, and i guess me growing up in the states adopted this mentality. it's just that all cars mentioned are raw performance cars, but the other 3 have more than just raw performance. don't get me wrong i like the gtr and really shocked at what it can do. i respect nissan for making a car that fast. it's just if i'm buying a car worth $75,000 i'd get the other 3.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    It's just a state of mind...I think I've transcended most of my regional preferences in cars. I have favorites from every region. But I don't have a favorite yet from one country only...China. They have yet to make a competitive car.

Speaking of overpriced...I was shocked when I found out how cheap cars are in the US; of course, relative to RP prices. Quite disappointing to realize when most "luxury" cars here are econoboxes there.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    It's just a state of mind...I think I've transcended most of my regional preferences in cars. I have favorites from every region. But I don't have a favorite yet from one country only...China. They have yet to make a competitive car.

Speaking of overpriced...I was shocked when I found out how cheap cars are in the US; of course, relative to RP prices. Quite disappointing to realize when most "luxury" cars here are econoboxes there.

me also, i don't have a favorite in china. i think it will take them a while to make a competative car. look at hyundai they've been here for so long pero they were only able to make compatative cars this past couple of years.

all cars out here in the states are much cheaper compared to the price out there in the philippines. imagine the bimmer 3 series out here is like a honda civic out there in the philippines.

anyway we're really out of topic na. BTT lancer ralliart, grabe sa pag ka over priced jan sa philippines!

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Unfortunately, taxes, taxes, taxes. That's the natural price of the Ralliart after taxes are applied. It's really the WRX and Genesis Coupe that are actually underpriced... and that's done by taking advantage of tax loopholes in the ASEAN Free Trade agreement (all legitimately, of course). Other manufacturer dealerships are stuck with buying straight from their head office in Korea, Japan or the US, which sticks them with an awful import tax.

You don't need people to look at your car if you're fast. GT-R *$75,000 isn't overpriced...what's overpriced is the Corvette ZR-1 *$106,000, considering it's got a prehistoric OHV motor.
    An OHV motor with titanium bits and six hundred ponies, mated to the same magnetorheologic suspension as a Ferrari 599. Horses for courses...

Quote Originally Posted by foresterx View Post
    * niky: Yeah the GTR is fast and looks nice... but you can get a better looking C63 for less and give a GTR a good challenge.
    I don't debate that the C63 is a better looking car... but again, stock-to-stock, a GT-R is faster. Modified to modified... still faster (for the same level of modification). And definitely faster around the racetrack, in any trim.

I know people don't buy their cars primarily to track them (and it's pretty stuipd... the best tool you can buy brand new (and it's not advisable to buy brand new expressly for this purpose, either) for track work is an Ariel Atom or an Elise... or better yet, a Lotus Super Seven clone)... but people buy these cars because they want to drive quickly or at least feel they've got some performance on tap. And for that specific subset who want the biggest, fastest, etcetera... the GT-R is hard to beat at any price.

-

Mind you... I'd much rather have the C63 over anything within that price range. Even if it isn't as fast as the GT-R in a straight line. Even if it doesn't handle quite as keenly as the BMW M3. Even if it can't match the Audi R8 for interior quality or drama. (Okay, so the R8 is a bit of a reach price-wise... but there's no more RS4, so... )

Simply because it's cool. And it can do stupid burnouts. F*** traction and roadholding... I love a car with a good sense of humor and a willingness to shred rubber.

-

Dealer markups are dealer markups. If any car is desirable, that's unavoidable. The Mustang gets the same treatment. If anything, the relatively low key nature of the C63 compared to other super sports sedans and sports cars makes it a bargain.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    *nicky: yeah i'm really surprised at the price of the wrx and genesis, grabe price is not that far away from the u.s. market. while the ralliart is priced at 2.3M, 100k na lang you can get the STi. dito sa u.s. the wrx is more expensive than the ralliart. just can't wait till subaru philippines bring the new wrx here in the philippines which has the 265hp, almost as quick as the STi. unfortunately i can't buy cars any more, i need the space of an suv especially i'm about to have a 2nd child and can't afford a second car yet. btw audi's rs4 is coming back in 2011, and they'll also have an rs3.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
2010 Most Overpriced Cars