New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    [SIZE=2]Please help me in choosing. I narrowed it down to these three but you are welcome to suggest other models.

Criteria:
    1. Good family car. Can fit 3 persons comfortably at the back.
    2. Reliability. Less trouble in next 5-10 yrs.
    3. Easy to maintain
    4. FC
    5. Riding comfort

Budget is 750K max that is why I did not consider Honda Civic FD.
    I am leaning towards the Lancer GLX because of the price but I already had the Itlog ang Pizza models and I would say they are prone to problems (Aircon, Suspension etc.). That is why I am thinking of shifting to an Altis because of its reputation of being reliable and less prone to problems like the Lancer. I am also considering the Sentra because of its all-around features but Nissan has a bad reputation.

Please enlighten me guys. Thanks!
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Get the altis. It has a decent and a quite luxurious look. Get the gray one....it's cool.....I love the interior of the Altis. About the reliability of the car, well.....the warranty of Toyota QA is 5 years......I saw it in their ad outside their showroom so no problems with it. Get the toyota, High resale value, better look, a/c is cool................good luck

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Thanks Renzo..

Would you say that the additional 150K (estimate) price difference between an Altis and the Lancer is worth it. Current prices now is around 635K after discounts for Lancer GLX and 774K for Altis E. Doesn't Toyota give the same discount as that of Mitsubishi?

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    The Altis 1.6E gets my vote, too. It seems to fulfill your criteria as mentioned. The "safe" choice--decent, good looking, fairly reliable, good resale value.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I would also go for the Corolla...

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    GO for Lancer........ I just got my Lancer GLS CVT ..... Swabeng swabeng tumakbo. Lalong lalo na yung CVT....... A/T pero pag ginamit mo parang Manual...... hehehe di ako marunong mag drive ng manual pero dahil sa CVT na-eenjoy ako. Tipid din sa tingin ko kz noong kinuha ko yon last fri nag pa-full tank ako sa macapagal ave tapos uwin ng bacoor, then kinabukasan tinakbo ko fr my place going to sm bcoor >Dasma>13 martirez city>Indang>Mendez>Tagaytay (kumain lang ng Mushroom Burger...heheeh)>Silang>dasma> at diretso na ng bahay.... sa isang guhit lang ang nabawas.

LAncer ka na lng.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Avoid the Lancer at all costs, I'm a former owner of a '95 GLXI (itlog) and I can say is that the Lancer's suspension is really subpar compared to Toyota and Nissan (had a box type Sentra). The Sentra is just too old compared to the competition and besides, if I were to buy a Sentra, I'd go for the 1.3 A/T since it shares all the power features found on the 1.6 models. The Altis seems to be the logical choice here. Being an Altis owner before (02' Altis J A/T), I have nothing but praises for this car.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the replies..

Lancer owners out there.. anybody can attest if the suspension problem of the previous lancers (itlog and pizza) no longer exist it the current generation of lancers. How about the aircon? Had Mitsubishi improved it also?

9. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    what bad reputation with Nissans are you talking about?! my 20yr old B12 still runs smoothly without any major problems. my 08 N16 meets all of your criteria including 5yr warranty. :devilcheck my Avatar pic)

I think comparing a 750K base car (Altis) with that of a 635K 1.5 Lancer(605K 1.3 Sentra) is not fair. the Lancer GLS CVT (dual airbags/6 speed sportronic tranny/leather accents etc.)would be a fitting competition same as the Sentra GSX (full skirts, leather seats and trims, foggies etc.) which are mid to high range models for the compacts; meaning more options than that of the base model ng Altis .
    my officemate bought a 09 Lancer and he says all is well with suspension having a pizza prior to this purchase. A/C is not bad too.

If you don't mind the dated looks but willing to spend 750K, go for the Lancer GLS or Sentra GSX. Same power, but with the luxury of high end. If you like resale value and want to be trendy. Altis base is for you.

if you're budget conscious, go for the Lancer 1.5 GLX or Sentra GX 1.3 A/T.save the 150K in the bank for rainy days.
    Last edited by badbadtz.carlo; April 19th, 2009 at 01:57 AM.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the insight Carlo.. but I think the GLX is 1.6 not 1.5.. thi is the reason I compared it with the lowest variants of Altis and Sentra 1.6. Bad rep of Nissan I am talking about is the high maintenance cost, I think this is why resale value of Nissan is very small I really like to consider the Nissan because of its great amenities and cool aircon. How about the suspension of the Sentra, is it not soft? By the way, what variant is your Sentra?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast